Why are Foorward Passes ignored?

Watched some very good games on the tv over recent weeks but crucial tries have been scored from blatant Forward passes.

Its often hard for the ref as he is 10M back but it seems that the linesmen have been deliberatlely instructed to ignore them as I've hardly seem one given all season by them.

PS I do understand the momentum rule before we start

If your a top 4 then its accepted, if your not then tough

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

it is becoming a joke, and similar to how union used to ignore them some years ago, i believe teams now throw deliberate forward passes on the last play because, if a try comes from it it can't be checked.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

it is becoming a joke, and similar to how union used to ignore them some years ago, i believe teams now throw deliberate forward passes on the last play because, if a try comes from it it can't be checked.

the ref can still call a forward pass! it does not have to be video ref decision.

Very good thread - watching Sky News last night my Mrs even commented on 3 of the Bradford tries being a joke. Not jusdt forward but embarrassingly so - I'm afraid we're similar to the Union days of old

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

for years Saints threw forward passes and got away with it. what then happened was other clubs rightly stated what Saints were getting away with, and rather than pull Saints up about it they let the top teams get away with it.

Quins RL, Catalans, Salford, and Bradford do not have the luxury of being let off forward passes like some clubs.

Most "forward passes" in fact aren't, its just fans who don't know the rules.

First off the ball does not have to travel backwards.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Most "forward passes" in fact aren't, its just fans who don't know the rules.

First off the ball does not have to travel backwards.

ANy more patronising posts today?

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Correct, but it also can't travel forwards. (Patronising return of service).

Can't it?

The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and

not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running

towards his opponents

It's not just in league either.

Did anyone catch the McCaw try for NZ against SA on Saturday?

Indeed!!!

Very hard to tell. Perhaps we should go the other way and penalise anything that might be forward.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

It's not just in league either.

Did anyone catch the McCaw try for NZ against SA on Saturday?

Presumably McCaw caught it. :dry:

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Presumably McCaw caught it. :dry:

:D

Actually no, it was in the build up to the try.

McCaw went in at the opposite corner, and despite the fact that his foot was clearly in touch, the video ref didn't see that either.

Very hard to tell. Perhaps we should go the other way and penalise anything that might be forward.

It's a no win situation for the ref but what I can't get my head around is the fact that we can't use the VR for forward passes because camera angles can be misleading but we CAN use the VR to determine onside/offside with those same camera angles. :huh:

rldfsignature.jpg

Watched some very good games on the tv over recent weeks but crucial tries have been scored from blatant Forward passes.

Its often hard for the ref as he is 10M back but it seems that the linesmen have been deliberatlely instructed to ignore them as I've hardly seem one given all season by them.

Leeds never score from a forward pass :D:D

FOXY.jpg

Touch judges (not linesmen) can't flag for forward passes but do indicate to the referee when they believe that a pass was forward. These signals will often not be noticed by spectators. The referee chooses whether or not he takes any notice of such signals so, as in all cases, it is his decision to award one or not.

There always were forward passes but they occur (apparently) more often nowadays because the game is very much faster and they can be difficult to detect. In addition a flat pass is often a useful tool in opening up a defence so I'm sure that it's coached to some extent.

Referees say that they watch the angle of the hands/wrists as the clearest indicator of whether or not a pass was forward.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It is a complete joke nowadays. We always mocked Union for this but now we are as bad. Many passes are even forward relative to the players. Perhaps they should toughen the rule up and bet bout the momentum rule and make players pass relatibe to the pitch/fans (i.e. by throwing it backwards at a steeper angle). It is after all fans who pay the money

I think it is time to introduce the video ref even if it can only be used for the final pass

Don't see whay it is any different to chalking off a try from a kick like the ultra marginal Crusdaders "try" from half way against Stains

It's a no win situation for the ref but what I can't get my head around is the fact that we can't use the VR for forward passes because camera angles can be misleading but we CAN use the VR to determine onside/offside with those same camera angles. :huh:

Because offside is in relation to the pitch, and forward passes are in relation to the player.

With offside, you can tell where the ball is in relation to the pitch because that player is stood on the pitch. All you need to do is see if the other player is stood behind him by working out how close they are to the nearest line.

With forward passes it's not so simple. If the camera is at a different angle, the pass looks hugely forward when in fact it could be backwards. The players are often not on the ground when these things occur (like when there is a chip to the corner and it is passed in the air, etc). And that's before we even bring in the momentum rule, where it's nearly impossible to work out the momentum of the ball before it is passed and whether that has affected why it has travelled forward.

We need HawkEye technology for that sort of thing!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It seems now that the only time a forward pass is given is when the ref is abe to see it otherwise it will go unpunished.

Agreed, we need to go back to the days when refs gave forward passes they hadn't seen.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.