Why are Foorward Passes ignored?

Two of the great forward passers of our generation will be leaving superleague at the end of the season, Messrs Cunningham and Riddell. Have you ever wondered why St Helens score so many tries from close range, it's because the attacking player is receiving the ball past the defending player who is unable to tackle him before he has received the forward pass, a la James Graham in the challenge cup semi. Riddell at Wigan is also an arch exponent of the short forward pass that goes unpunished from bottleless referees who would be quick to penalise a "lesser" name. It's pointless being honest in a dishonest league therefore more teams are adding the intentional forward pass to their armoury. It's a shame but the teams that don't evolve won't compete on an uneven playing field.

I watched Warrington v Hull Friday night and the Warrington winger's first try was passed by Anderson (I think) clearly behind the 20m line and caught by the winger at least 2m in front of it. Video ref is used for miniscule knock-ons and fingertips touching tries down, but we can't use it for blatant forward passes?

It's not momentum most of the time, all you need to do is just look at the direction of the player's hands. That tells you the direction the passing player passed the ball. Passes to wingers are very often forward and passes drawing the full-back seem to be regularly forward.

I guess the game needs to decide whether forward passes are okay along with not playing the ball. Either impose the rules or change them, but the game is turning into a joke.

It seems to me that short forward passes between players in close proximity are virtually undetectable to ref and linesman but can be seen on TV because of the elevated position of the camera, especially from a cherry picker.

Correct, but it also can't travel forwards. (Patronising return of service).

It can travel forward relative to a spectator in the stand. :rolleyes:

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

:D

Actually no, it was in the build up to the try.

McCaw went in at the opposite corner, and despite the fact that his foot was clearly in touch, the video ref didn't see that either.

Wrong forum pal, as you like to remark whenever the NRL is being mentioned, at least thats still R/L or have you conveniently forgotten?

I'm going to bookmark this and next time L'Angelo mentions RU's "Arcane and needlessly complex" laws I shall ask him for an opinion :D

Actually that's a very clear and concise description of how the law should be applied, and I believe it's pretty much identical in Union.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Agreed, we need to go back to the days when refs gave forward passes they hadn't seen.

Well there are another two officials who run the line and who usually should be in a better than the referree to see whether a pass is forward. Unless something is done the game is brought into disrepute. One time we could laugh at RU for all the forward passes which were never picked up but no more.

wow just seen the tries from wakefield bradford 3 obvious forward passes in bradford tries and its not even like there only a little bit forward. whats the point in having line judges what do they get paid for. the ref is also in a very good position to call them

Don't forget the momentum rule, as stevo will always say!

:P

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.