Mac's big problem looming.

If any of out backs haven't been practicing these things then there is something seriously wrong. The afl style if catching has been common in afl training methods for many many years, as it has been in yawnion (courtesy of dave alred circa 2003). And in all honesty I would have thought we have been using the same methods for some years also, we're just not as good at it. For whatever their big lads have over us in leaping for the ball, we should maybe looking at ways to benefit from their size, maybe with grubber kicks to turn them around, with our backs running onto them.

spot on, grubber kicks to turn them.

all this about needing tall lads..................remember Jason Robinson or Brian Carney..... little midgets, did we have the same concerns then??????

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If any of out backs haven't been practicing these things then there is something seriously wrong. The afl style if catching has been common in afl training methods for many many years, as it has been in yawnion (courtesy of dave alred circa 2003). And in all honesty I would have thought we have been using the same methods for some years also, we're just not as good at it. For whatever their big lads have over us in leaping for the ball, we should maybe looking at ways to benefit from their size, maybe with grubber kicks to turn them around, with our backs running onto them.

Leeds did this in a grand final against bradford, vanaikolo spent all game stooping to pick up grubbers in goal and frquently got nailed by mark calderwood. We need to play our own game, taking the aussies on at their own game will get us nowhere in my opinion.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Leeds did this in a grand final against bradford, vanaikolo spent all game stooping to pick up grubbers in goal and frquently got nailed by mark calderwood. We need to play our own game, taking the aussies on at their own game will get us nowhere in my opinion.

Opposite ends of the field though isn't it.

The game is played differently nowadays with different athletes with better all round games and ability.

I wouldn't be too concerned about kicks to the corners, its only one aspect of the game.

If teams do not have the defensive structures to handle what is thrown at them they will lose, thats the way it works out usually.

Opposite ends of the field though isn't it.

The game is played differently nowadays with different athletes with better all round games and ability.

I wouldn't be too concerned about kicks to the corners, its only one aspect of the game.

If teams do not have the defensive structures to handle what is thrown at them they will lose, thats the way it works out usually.

if you can create repeat sets for your team often then you'll spend less time defending bombs on your own line. I agree that if other things aren't right then kicking games will be the last of our problems.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Before you start worrying about the Aussies.

Likely Kiwi three quarter line:

Manu Vatuvei, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Steve Matai, Jason Nightingale

Seeing this list I am reminded of Travis Bickle, played by Robert de Niro in the film Taxi Driver, when he said to the pimp character Sport played by Harvey Keitel, after Bickel shoots Sport in the stomach:

"Suck on that!"

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

vatuvei is the only real worry for me, and only from 10-15 yards out with one man to beat.. kenny-dowell is a handy player, but not someone who is going to cause any real problems, same for nightingale. and matai will break a shoulder in the first ten minutes as he always does. I'd suggest the Aussies and Kiwis (and PNG) should worry a little bit about the likes of eastmond, tomkins, burgess and briscoe.

burgess will be the only one they will know anything about. Eastmond, tomkins and briscoe are all much improved from when the opposition would have last seen them.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

spot on, grubber kicks to turn them.

all this about needing tall lads..................remember Jason Robinson or Brian Carney..... little midgets, did we have the same concerns then??????

Yeah how about Jason Robinson then, tell me, how many tries he scored against any Australian side he competed against, ONE! When Paul Newlove gave him a walk in at Wembley during S/L wars World Cup.

Please; Robinson may have been good in our domestic game, but in Rep R/League he made very little impression at all.

Yeah how about Jason Robinson then, tell me, how many tries he scored against any Australian side he competed against, ONE! When Paul Newlove gave him a walk in at Wembley during S/L wars World Cup.

Please; Robinson may have been good in our domestic game, but in Rep R/League he made very little impression at all.

the OP is about tall centres, and Robinson caught the ball against them.

On the rep game we were ######, no change really.

vatuvei is the only real worry for me, and only from 10-15 yards out with one man to beat.. kenny-dowell is a handy player, but not someone who is going to cause any real problems, same for nightingale. and matai will break a shoulder in the first ten minutes as he always does. I'd suggest the Aussies and Kiwis (and PNG) should worry a little bit about the likes of eastmond, tomkins, burgess and briscoe.

burgess will be the only one they will know anything about. Eastmond, tomkins and briscoe are all much improved from when the opposition would have last seen them.

Presumably then the entire Aussie Threequarterline is a set of duds then?

Vatuvei would not play if I was selecting a Kiwi side, Perret, Nightingale, Locke and the winger at the Titan's also( forget his name) would all be in my side before him.

Admittedly he's strong but he is far to prone to mistakes and a lazy ###### too. I expect he will be there for NZ but he is not one that I would choose. SKD and Matai are good centre's and will cause the Aussies problems, never mind us and PNG.

burgess will be the only one they will know anything about. Eastmond, Tomkins and Briscoe are all much improved from when the opposition would have last seen them.

Agreed. Although I guessing the Aussies will realise how good S Tomkins, Eastmond & T Briscoe are, unlike how much posters on here will under-rated them as they don't play in the NRL. I don't think there are 2 wingers in SL better than Ryan Hall & Tom Briscoe. Shame Peter Fox's form has been so poor this season though.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Manu Vatuvei is considerd a dangerous man by every opponent in the NRL.

Shaun Kenny-Dowell is bigger and faster than any English cenre known to man.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Well mate thats taken as a compliment as its something that you will NEVER be accused of being :blush:

Yeah, you should.

I mean your really original bigging up of everything Australian, paired with the knocking down of everything British in RL. :rolleyes:

You are Paris' girlfriend, and I claim my

Wouldnt worry tooo much bout there kicking game, we'll get done at the PTB, they'll be way quicker round that area.

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Funny, because I would've very much agreed with the concern over English players and the high-ball this time last year, but have a look at the Four Nations Final again and tell me which team was the better exponent of the tactic? It wasn't Australia. In particular, I remember Eastmond putting up a bomb into the right corner and Fox outjumped a static Jarryd Hayne for a try. And that's the key, save for Inglis and Folau (who will no longer be a rugby league player come this Four Nations), everyone is susceptible to being outjumped for a high ball if flat footed. It's all about the timing.

I am alarmed at the fact that so many people over here harp on so consistently about our forwards matching even overshadowing those of the S/Hemi. Having watched the NRL in some depth this season, I would go so far as to state that their backs are not as threatening as the forwards, in both Oz and Kiwiland!!

Mmm, I wouldn't go that far, but your point about Southern Hemisphere forwards being underrated is right. For the last 5 years, the Australian pack has been quite underrated.

vatuvei is the only real worry for me, and only from 10-15 yards out with one man to beat.. kenny-dowell is a handy player, but not someone who is going to cause any real problems, same for nightingale.

Really? Vatuvei is the best winger in the NRL in my opinion. SKD is a huge threat. Nightingale is one of the safest wingers under the high ball, and he's quite short.

Vatuvei would not play if I was selecting a Kiwi side, Perret, Nightingale, Locke and the winger at the Titan's also( forget his name) would all be in my side before him.

Whaaat? No Vatuvei? Are you sure you've been watching the NRL this season? If he wasn't injured for about 10 rounds, he would romp the Dally M Winger of the Year. Akuila Uate will probably win it instead. Where are you suggesting Locke plays? I'd say fullback or not in the team at all. And the winger from the Titans? David Mead or Kevin Gordon? Mead is PNG and ruled out injured. Gordon is a New South Welshman/Australian.

I completely agree, GB/English RL head coaches spend too much time worrying about opposition strengths and not playing to their own.

Before you start worrying about the Aussies.

Likely Kiwi three quarter line:

Manu Vatuvei, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Steve Matai, Jason Nightingale

Seeing this list I am reminded of Travis Bickle, played by Robert de Niro in the film Taxi Driver, when he said to the pimp character Sport played by Harvey Keitel, after Bickel shoots Sport in the stomach:

"Suck on that!"

Theres only Vatuvei impresses me there, Kenny-Dowall, Matai and Nightingale are solid at best.

He didnt score against brisbane in Brisbane then? Or against Canterbury in Canterbury during the ill fated WCC Or twice on his GB debut at wembley? Behave yourself. He was the best winger in the world at his pomp.

I sometimes wonder why anyone bothers watching SL. I'm actually surprised that many on here have the energy to watch SL after whipping themselves up into such an orgasmic frenzy watching the NRL.

According to him the Aussies aren't Supermen, he just dry-humps their legs, as the SL is a poor (or was it low?) level of competition...

You bore me.

I think he must bore most people on here with his BS.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

According to him the Aussies aren't Supermen, he just dry-humps their legs, as the SL is a poor (or was it low?) level of competition...

I believe the comment was that: compared to the NRL our S/L is an inferior competition; IT IS!

As for Dry dumps their legs?? Please, do explain.

I think he must bore most people on here with his BS.

BS? as with above, could you define that also.

Can someone please explain what dry humping is to this guy, please? :lol:

SL may not be up to standard with the NRL but you claimed that SL is a poor level of competition. I'd say the best 4-5 teams in the SL could compete with NRL teams on a pretty even playing-field, in my opinion.

Can someone please explain what dry humping is to this guy, please? :lol:

SL may not be up to standard with the NRL but you claimed that SL is a poor level of competition. I'd say the best 4-5 teams in the SL could compete with NRL teams on a pretty even playing-field, in my opinion.

I've never sent a text either nor do I own or wnat to a mobile phone so dry humping and not being aware of its meaning is not something that I will be ashamed of not knowing, sorry to disappoint.

I will not contradict you on that as I do believe that S/L does not compare at all with the NRL.

OK 4-5 teams as you state, would be capable of competing in the NRL. Presumably Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington .......................and. The fifth? And throughout an entire season, I don't believe any would.

Aren't there 14 teams contesting S/L?

So that is almost two thirds, or more teams that would remain un-competitive within the NRL, if that doesn't explain my reasoning then........................I won't bother any further only to say that you had better rethink your argument ;)

I've never sent a text either nor do I own or wnat to a mobile phone so dry humping and not being aware of its meaning is not something that I will be ashamed of not knowing, sorry to disappoint.

I will not contradict you on that as I do believe that S/L does not compare at all with the NRL.

OK 4-5 teams as you state, would be capable of competing in the NRL. Presumably Leeds, Saints, Wigan and Warrington .......................and. The fifth? And throughout an entire season, I don't believe any would.

Aren't there 14 teams contesting S/L?

So that is almost two thirds, or more teams that would remain un-competitive within the NRL, if that doesn't explain my reasoning then........................I won't bother any further only to say that you had better rethink your argument ;)

But who cares, apart from you, and a few other Aussie obsessed goons on here?

I watch SL because I enjoy it. I am a long term season ticket holder, and I enjoy everything about the matchday experience. I do not sit in my seat at the match thinking "I wonder if Wigan would be winning this 24-0 if they were playing Sydney City Roosters".

Do you know why I don't think about such things? Because it's completely bloody irrelevant, that's why.

Who gives a sh!te which teams would favourably compare to teams in the NRL? It's never going to happen, so why not just enjoy the stuff that's in front of us on the grass?

Conversely, if you think that SL is so poor when compared to the Aussie version, then just don't bloody watch it.