Supporters Direct, the umbrella organisation that promotes supporter representation at Rugby League clubs across the UK, is pleased to announce its first ever rugby league conference, to be held on Saturday October 9th 2010 at the historic George Hotel Huddersfield.

The conference, entitled

Don't quote me on this but I think I recall this being an anti-licensing type organisation that thinks they are killing the game.

Maximus, I'm not sure where you got that information from but you couldn't be further from the truth.

Supporters Direct is an organisation which campaigns for greater supporter representation within professional sport. It is fact that many clubs are not being well run and this is shown by the number that have been in trouble in the last couple of years. When clubs go bust, it is the supporters who are left behind to pick up the pieces yet they are rarely given a say in how the club is being run in the first place and are expected to blindly hand over money left, right and centre and ask no questions about where it is being spent.

We are trying to change this and ensure that supporters do have a say and can make sure their clubs are being run sustainably so that future generations can enjoy them as much as we do.

As a rugby league supporter I do of course have my own personal opinions on licensing but these are certainly not something I push through my role as Rugby League Supporters Trusts Development Officer with Supporters Direct.

The conference is for people to find out more about Supporters Direct and the good work being done by supporters trusts across rugby league. The aim is to show that there is an alternative to the boom and bust scenario we are seeing so much of at the moment.

Laura Harrison

Supporters Direct

Supporters Direct, the umbrella organisation that promotes supporter representation at Rugby League clubs across the UK, is pleased to announce its first ever rugby league conference, to be held on Saturday October 9th 2010 at the historic George Hotel Huddersfield.

The conference, entitled

Maximus, I'm not sure where you got that information from but you couldn't be further from the truth.

Supporters Direct is an organisation which campaigns for greater supporter representation within professional sport. It is fact that many clubs are not being well run and this is shown by the number that have been in trouble in the last couple of years. When clubs go bust, it is the supporters who are left behind to pick up the pieces yet they are rarely given a say in how the club is being run in the first place and are expected to blindly hand over money left, right and centre and ask no questions about where it is being spent.

We are trying to change this and ensure that supporters do have a say and can make sure their clubs are being run sustainably so that future generations can enjoy them as much as we do.

As a rugby league supporter I do of course have my own personal opinions on licensing but these are certainly not something I push through my role as Rugby League Supporters Trusts Development Officer with Supporters Direct.

The conference is for people to find out more about Supporters Direct and the good work being done by supporters trusts across rugby league. The aim is to show that there is an alternative to the boom and bust scenario we are seeing so much of at the moment.

Laura Harrison

Supporters Direct

I apologise, I must have mistaken you with another group. I'll delete the above post.

Keep up the good work!

No problem at all - I'm sure there are lots of people who either don't know anything about SD or who think we do something completely different.

Hopefully this conference and the continued good work of all of the supporters trusts across rugby league will help to change all of that.

Having had first had experience of SD and what can be accomplished by supporters trusts I would certainly encourage people to attend this event.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Have worked with Supporters Trusts in both soccer and RL, and my experience has only been positive.

Think I'll try and get to this.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

Guest speakers just announced:

Chris Thair, RFL

Robbie Paul, professional RL player with Leigh and BBC RL pundit

Danny Lockwood, Owner, League Weekly

Jason McCartney, MP for Colne Valley and member of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group

Martyn Cheney, Chair, Bramley Buffaloes and Director, Supporters Direct

Plus, a number of rugby league trusts will be along on the day to share their work with delegates and show exactly how good supporters trusts can be for rugby league!

To register, visit www.supporters-direct.org or for more information contact me at Laura.Harrison@supporters-direct.org