Challenge Cup Final

Even though it was billed as a sell-out there seemed to be a LOT of empty seats when the BBC did low level shots, also after the result was decieded there seemed to be a lot of supporters who have left the stadium. Would you leave a Pantomime if you knew Cinderella was going to get the Glass slipper? Would you leave the Cinema if you knew the ending of Alien? You have paid a lot of money to watch 65 mins of rugby? Stay to the end, watch the presentation, Cheer the losers, then go home if you don't support the winners.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though it was billed as a sell-out there seemed to be a LOT of empty seats when the BBC did low level shots, also after the result was decieded there seemed to be a lot of supporters who have left the stadium. Would you leave a Pantomime if you knew Cinderella was going to get the Glass slipper? Would you leave the Cinema if you knew the ending of Alien? You have paid a lot of money to watch 65 mins of rugby? Stay to the end, watch the presentation, Cheer the losers, then go home if you don't support the winners.
Agreed, but can't stop anyone leaving early, look at Wigan (bait for Hanners!) ;)

Some may argue at least they paid their money...

Agreed, but can't stop anyone leaving early, look at Wigan (bait for Hanners!) ;)

Some may argue at least they paid their money...

Like I always say, to have thousands of fans leaving early, you have to have thousands of fans there in the first place.

Like I always say, to have thousands of fans leaving early, you have to have thousands of fans there in the first place.

I've never read that from you before, then again I'd probably gone by then... :P It was only a joke anyroad.

But that was the point, it's not ideal but what can be done about people leaving early? Nowt. Just one of those things. I remember only leaving a game early once, 2006 at Knowsley Road but as an example I know a few who regularly leave Bradford City games early, win, lose or draw. Whether those want to miss the traffic or hit the bars early to drown their sorrows but they've paid their money. I reckon even some Wire fans will have left once the outcome was never in doubt.

I've never read that from you before, then again I'd probably gone by then... :P It was only a joke anyroad.

But that was the point, it's not ideal but what can be done about people leaving early? Nowt. Just one of those things. I remember only leaving a game early once, 2006 at Knowsley Road but as an example I know a few who regularly leave Bradford City games early, win, lose or draw. Whether those want to miss the traffic or hit the bars early to drown their sorrows but they've paid their money. I reckon even some Wire fans will have left once the outcome was never in doubt.

I actually think that this shows that a lot of people care about what happens on the field and that they are not just there for the social jolly (i.e. Rubgy Union events). Leeds took a beating, their fans were hurt and many took up the right to leave at the end. It is their choice. It also happens in football - I have no problem with it personally.

I actually think that this shows that a lot of people care about what happens on the field and that they are not just there for the social jolly (i.e. Rubgy Union events). Leeds took a beating, their fans were hurt and many took up the right to leave at the end. It is their choice. It also happens in football - I have no problem with it personally.

We are not soccer - in Rugby League you stay to the end to applaud the victors even if it's not your team.

We are not soccer - in Rugby League you stay to the end to applaud the victors even if it's not your team.

The day that happen is the day Quins win the title...

I've been to a few finals in my time, and seen even more, and never have more than a few of the losing supporters stuck around right to the end of ceremonies.

I left when Westwood kicked the goal to make it 20, but that's cos I didn't want to end up with a parking ticket from the robbing gits who run the car park in Northwood. That was about the 62nd min, and an ever-increasing stream of Leeds fans was with me.

As to attendance, excepting the Club Wembley area, which looked fuller than usual to me, empty seats were negligible. You've got to account for last minute illnesses, and other unexpected happenings which might prevent ticket holders from attending.

Att given out as 85200 odd, maybe there looked a few more than 5k empty seats, but pretty full.

Club Wembley has to be sorted next time the deals are negotiated, empty prime seats, not good if you're stuck up in the rafters if better seats were available.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

I thought there were far more than 5'000 empty seats. There were gaps everywhere.

And no, I'm not knocking a fantastic attendance of 85'000 - more the fact that RFL events have posted the 'house full' sign a few times now when clearly they aren't when the day comes.

I thought there were far more than 5'000 empty seats. There were gaps everywhere.

And no, I'm not knocking a fantastic attendance of 85'000 - more the fact that RFL events have posted the 'house full' sign a few times now when clearly they aren't when the day comes.

There are always people who can't make it on the day.

I agree but I noticed that whenever I went for a beer there were plenty people in the back just drinking. Made me wonder if there were quite a few people who were in the stadium but who never bothered taking their seats cos they were just there with friends, partners etc and had no interest in the game. I know that sounds terribly rugby union but it was noticeable where I was.

There are always people who can't make it on the day.

I know, but there seemed to be a few 'blocks' of empty seats. There wasn't a single section that didn't have some empty red seats in it, and to be honest you don't normally see that at events at Wembley like the FA Cup final (apart from segregation purposes of course).

There seemed to be such a demand for this game that it's a shame some couldn't make it on the day when so many wanted to.

I agree but I noticed that whenever I went for a beer there were plenty people in the back just drinking. Made me wonder if there were quite a few people who were in the stadium but who never bothered taking their seats cos they were just there with friends, partners etc and had no interest in the game. I know that sounds terribly rugby union but it was noticeable where I was.

You're probably right!

Edited by Jerry the Berry

TBH if I'm there as a neutral I'm out of the door as soon as the final hooter goes, but I do stay to the end whatever the score.

As a Leeds fan, I just made it to the final hooter, but I was tempted to leave long before then

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

the club wembley seats will be included in the attendance, the other 5000 seats plus the club seats that didn't turn up made it look like a lot of empty seats but hey 80 odd thousand aint bad.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

There were more than enough empty seats in the Leeds end with 20 mins to go. The wire end seemed to stay quite full though!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Att given out as 85200 odd, maybe there looked a few more than 5k empty seats, but pretty full.

Club Wembley has to be sorted next time the deals are negotiated, empty prime seats, not good if you're stuck up in the rafters if better seats were available.

Agree with you about Club Wembley. Dave Woods was spot on when he described it as "The Ring of Indifference". Empty seats were probably those bought by wendyball fans who wouldn't know a decent sport if it hit them on the head.

Edited by Rioman

I know, but there seemed to be a few 'blocks' of empty seats. There wasn't a single section that didn't have some empty red seats in it, and to be honest you don't normally see that at events at Wembley like the FA Cup final (apart from segregation purposes of course).

There seemed to be such a demand for this game that it's a shame some couldn't make it on the day when so many wanted to.

The premium level of a large stadium is the hardest to ensure filling.

As for early leavers, they bug me to no end. They're not exclusive to any one sport. Extremely annoying trying to watch a match when there is a bunch walking across you ten minutes from the end. Can't stop them. Not your fault if they are like that. If a match gets in the way of their wanting an early beer or the futility of trying to avoid traffic.