Good and bad things about the 2010 Challenge Cup Final

Mate, if you don't think that these shirts look massively different then you need your eyes testing! Are you seriously implying you could confuse the two?

13931_317667565314_838925314_963656.jpg

So we have a Blue and Amber kit and a Blue and Amber kit. Great!

Both kits manage to clash with the only team that they would clash with.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we have a Blue and Amber kit and a Blue and Amber kit. Great!

You've got predominantly blue kit with some amber on it, and a predominantly amber kit with some blue on it. The psychic kit designers at Leeds weren't to know that Warrington would move away from their predominantly white shirt of last year to a kit that would clash with both.

Both kits manage to clash with the only team that they would clash with.

Yep you're right - it's all Leeds' fault. I'm sure they'll be consulting with Warrington in the future before they confirm any kit designs...

Bottom line - it ain't that important. Yes it wasn't the clearest distinction between the two teams, but I've seen worse. Hopefully common sense will prevail next time. And the Leeds kit designers will be burned at the stake...

Edited by Joe Shep

Warrington didn't let Leeds play, and thoroughly deserved the win, they are a very good team and could be a big match team for a good few years, although they are my teams biggest rivals, I can honestly say they have waited a long time for this era and good luck to them. and Wendell if you read this well done mate you stuck with them since childhood. you watched my team destroy everyone for years. its great to have a successful team and you deserve all the success coming to your fans. i know tons of long term wire fans and though i love the banter with them, you cant deny them the 2 challenge cup wins thoroughly deserved and enjoy it wire fans. Widnes til i die :D.maybe we might get the chance in a few years to kick your teams ***** one again ;)

Well said.

It was fine on TV as it was pretty clear which team was which close-up but Warrington should have worn their away kit. But I guess green & red ribbons may not have worked on the Cup. :D

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Good points - pretty much everything about the actual match!

Bad points - for the second year running the whole pre and post-match experienced was ruined by the absolutely shocking sound system. It really is the worst I have experienced at any stadium I have ever been to.

Best team won obviously but what really worried me was that it was like watching an NRL game from about 8 years ago with sides banging out sets of 6 and the winners being decided on who who blinked first and who didn't deal with kicks.

Looks like Leeds will have to do some rebuilding in the same way as everyone caught up with the Bulls power game only his time its Leeds pace and backing up game with little guile that has been found out.

Warrington were organised and competent - whilst Leeds looked like a side looking at each other to pull off a piece of individual play to break the line.

All season I have wondered why Leeds are running where they are in the table and when you see them live its pretty obvious - Two runners in the halves is at least one too many.

You've got predominantly blue kit with some amber on it, and a predominantly amber kit with some blue on it. The psychic kit designers at Leeds weren't to know that Warrington would move away from their predominantly white shirt of last year to a kit that would clash with both.

Yep you're right - it's all Leeds' fault. I'm sure they'll be consulting with Warrington in the future before they confirm any kit designs...

Bottom line - it ain't that important. Yes it wasn't the clearest distinction between the two teams, but I've seen worse. Hopefully common sense will prevail next time. And the Leeds kit designers will be burned at the stake...

I agree.

I still think Leeds should have more common sense, seeing as though they only ever clash with one other clubs colours but the RFL should have seen it coming. Wendall even posted about it a few days after the semi finals so it's not like nobody realised it.

You could see the difference most of the time but there was the odd occasion from an up and under where it was difficult to see. It was disappointing when reading Twitter to find it was what most people were commenting on, meaning they'd notice that rather than the game.

Although it was probably for the best seeing the quality of the game...

Actually on a separate point, from reading Twitter it was quite disheartening to see how many people hate RL and feel the need to comment on it when it's on national TV.

Best team won obviously but what really worried me was that it was like watching an NRL game from about 8 years ago with sides banging out sets of 6 and the winners being decided on who who blinked first and who didn't deal with kicks.

We always seem to be a few years behind the NRL. I wouldn't say 8 years but the game does seem more like an NRL game did a few years ago.

The positive and I've been saying it for a while now, is that the NRL seems to have moved to a more skills based game again. Whenever I see it and I watch a lot of the highlights, the tries are often sensational.

Even though Leeds weren't playing at their best I thought Warrington were superb, they completely shut Leeds out and when Leeds did get over the whitewash Mathers was able to hold them up. Plus Lee Briers passing & kicking game was fantastic.

I'm a neutral but have enjoyed watching Warrington & Wigan play this season.

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Even though Leeds weren't playing at their best I thought Warrington were superb, they completely shut Leeds out and when Leeds did get over the whitewash Mathers was able to hold them up. Plus Lee Briers passing & kicking game was fantastic.

I'm a neutral but have enjoyed watching Warrington & Wigan play this season.

TBH mate, I think a few people are a touch lazy with their summary of the game being that Leeds were dismal and Wire just did what they had to. Funnily enough we haven't had any credit on this cup run, as apparently Hudds and Catalans were also dire and offered no opposition whatsoever.

The fact is that this Leeds team are a big game team, look what they have done to Saints for the last few years, yet we did the same to Leeds. The fact is that Leeds weren't horrendous, they were just outplayed on the day. Their forwards couldn't make the hard yards, and this then made the playmakers look out of sorts. It's not as if the team was falling off tackles left right and centre or making error after error (the last error stat I saw was 9-8 in Wire's favour), they simply lost the arm wrestle against a superior pack, and Warrington's scrambling defence was outstanding.

I posted this on another thread, but I am disappointed with some people's summary of the game being low on quality, I completely disagree. It may not have been tense and close, but like the Grand Final a couple of years back when Leeds beat Saints 33-6, it was enoyable and high on quality play.

Whilst I appreciate that Warrington are not a popular team on these boards, I think it is good for the game that a team outside of the traditional Super League Big 4 put in a performance like that against one of the traditional giants.

Prior to the start of the season, Leeds were hot favourites for everything, and nobody looked past Leeds and Saints. So far, two trophies have been decided and they haven't won any of them.

TBH mate, I think a few people are a touch lazy with their summary of the game being that Leeds were dismal and Wire just did what they had to. Funnily enough we haven't had any credit on this cup run, as apparently Hudds and Catalans were also dire and offered no opposition whatsoever.

The fact is that this Leeds team are a big game team, look what they have done to Saints for the last few years, yet we did the same to Leeds. The fact is that Leeds weren't horrendous, they were just outplayed on the day. Their forwards couldn't make the hard yards, and this then made the playmakers look out of sorts. It's not as if the team was falling off tackles left right and centre or making error after error (the last error stat I saw was 9-8 in Wire's favour), they simply lost the arm wrestle against a superior pack, and Warrington's scrambling defence was outstanding.

I posted this on another thread, but I am disappointed with some people's summary of the game being low on quality, I completely disagree. It may not have been tense and close, but like the Grand Final a couple of years back when Leeds beat Saints 33-6, it was enoyable and high on quality play.

Whilst I appreciate that Warrington are not a popular team on these boards, I think it is good for the game that a team outside of the traditional Super League Big 4 put in a performance like that against one of the traditional giants.

Prior to the start of the season, Leeds were hot favourites for everything, and nobody looked past Leeds and Saints. So far, two trophies have been decided and they haven't won any of them.

I thought Warrington's defence was superb against a side who didn't gel like in previous years. As for not being popular on the message board, it's more likely Wendall's rantings and gloating puts people off. B)

The Wire have come on leaps and bounds and is good for the sport.

Edited by Saint Billinge

Best bits....

1 - Trojan taking an hour to get off the motorway at Stanmore

2 - My SOutherner mates first experience of RL, they absolutely loved the whole day

3 - Wires performance, watched the game again last night and they were outstanding

Worst bits

1 - One sided game but that's a bit harsh on Wire I guess

2 - The "try" scored by Leeds which was so forward it's unbelievable

3 - The numpties from Warrington who thought that they could jump the queue by walking to the front and talking to somebody to make it look like they were mates - however I said my piece and they were removed!!! :)

Overall a simply fabulous day - you just cannot beat RL

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

But the kit clash did make a difference, the third try came from a referee mistake, the ball comes clearly off Mathers, but it was so hard to tell the teams apart that the referee made an understandable mistake, I was in the stand at that side and you honestly couldn't tell what had happened.

Now Warrington totally deserved their victory - great Hicks tries - superb take for the second, my man of the match, but would have made so much more sense to have been in red and green. And regardless of Leeds home and away kits could have easily been done.

The subject of the kits.

Warrington won the toss.

So why should they have to play in the colours of red/green???

Leeds could have easily worn the "John Holmes" kit, that would have been very fittiing in his honour.

(but then again after the final result, best they didn't ;) )

Best bits....

2 - My SOutherner mates first experience of RL, they absolutely loved the whole day

3 - Wires performance, watched the game again last night and they were outstanding

Overall a simply fabulous day - you just cannot beat RL

1 - harsh, but :lol:

2 - Great to hear, love hearing examples of new fans loving our game, it's been a pleasure having the likes of Cofi on here this year for example.

3 - Thanks for acknowledging that, I only got to watch the match again last night, and based on some of the comments here I wondered whether my perception of our performance had been influenced by the occasion, but actually, I still think we were excellent, and it is good that some people can acknowledge that.

But the kit clash did make a difference, the third try came from a referee mistake, the ball comes clearly off Mathers, but it was so hard to tell the teams apart that the referee made an understandable mistake, I was in the stand at that side and you honestly couldn't tell what had happened.

Now Warrington totally deserved their victory - great Hicks tries - superb take for the second, my man of the match, but would have made so much more sense to have been in red and green. And regardless of Leeds home and away kits could have easily been done.

Common sense should have prevailed, and I think you are spot on with the third try, and Silverwood clearly couldn't tell a yellow ###### from an elbow.

There are two issues which should be cleared up for future years. As has been said, Leeds only true colour clash all year is Warrington, and it doesn't make sense to have the same colours for home and away kits. Warrington have done this in the past, and it is silly. This shouldn't be allowed to happen, there is no reason why Warrington should have to wear their away kit at home (they didn't in the league game, and there was a clash there too).

The second thing, the RFL should have ensured that there was an adequate difference, and if that meant changing protocol so that Warrington would have had to wear their 2nd strip, then so be it, although this should be pre-empted in the first place.

That makes no sense whatsoever. If 2 kits are so different how can they both clash with one kit?

There's an easy way to stop them clashing. Have them as different colours like most clubs would have.

Didn't Leeds and Wire share the same colours in the 1961 Championship Final at Odsal. The difference then Warrington always had predominately white shirt ( broadish blueband with narrower primrose bands*) and White shorts. Leeds I think traditional blue shirt with broad amber and narrow hoops and all blue shorts. My black and white photo images of that tie show I think it worked well giving plenty of contrast which was sadly missing Saturday.

*see Dave Ts Brian Bevan stamp image

Edited by audois

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Best bits....

:lol::lol::angry2:

We were still there in plenty of time - left at 8-00 am got to problem slip road at 11-30 am. We were in Wok & Roe as mentioned before by 1-00 pm with plenty of time for fish and taties.

I saw the price of drinks inside the ground - that's why I didn't buy any.

TBH I was a bit unimpressed by the new Wembley - it was better than I remember the old Wembley, but IMO not as good as Old Trafford.

Given that we were delayed, and had to park about a mile from Stanmore tube station I was impressed by London's fantastic transport system. The game finished at 4-30, we were on our way back north by 5-30, and home before 9-00.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Common sense should have prevailed, and I think you are spot on with the third try, and Silverwood clearly couldn't tell a yellow ###### from an elbow.

To be fair to Silverwood he was on the opposite side to Mathers and so maybe it appeared to come off the leeds player but the linesman has no such excuse, I was in the top tier 5 rows from the back and as Riley broke away I said he was offside but the whistle never came.

As for the colour clash I can't say I really noticed it at all.

Didn't Leeds and Wire share the same colours in the 1961 Championship Final at Odsal. The difference then Warrington always had predominately white shirt ( broadish primrose band with narrower blue bands) and White shorts. Leeds I think traditional blue shirt with broad amber and narrow hoops and all blue shorts. My black and white photo images of that tie show I think it worked well giving plenty of contrast which was sadly missing Saturday.

The first time I saw Leeds play live was at Headingley on Boxing Day 1960, Leeds played in blue shirts with an amber V, the strip for the 1961 Championship final reverted to the former blue shirt with the broad and narrow stripe and it was reported that the strip had been presented to the side by Arthur Clues the former Leeds and Hunslet Aussie star who in those days ran a sports outfitters on Merrion Street in Leeds.

The first time I saw Warrington play was the following season at Belle Vue and they played in white shirts with a primrose and blue band (Bevan scored)

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

To be fair to Silverwood he was on the opposite side to Mathers and so maybe it appeared to come off the leeds player but the linesman has no such excuse, I was in the top tier 5 rows from the back and as Riley broke away I said he was offside but the whistle never came.

We were sat above the Royal Box and I said he must be offside, but I wasn't sure until I saw the tv replay on Sunday morning. It was a terrible decision. Whether it cost Leeds the game who knows. For me the loss of Peacock cost Leeds the game - he is an imense player and his loss was devastating for Leeds. Having said that he's no spring chicken and they should really be looking at a replacement.

Clement Attlee.

Absolutely agree, and it wasn't a criticism of Silverwood as it was a tough call, as if he did see it, he will have simply seen it hitting something yellow, which both kits had plenty of, and that same excuse can certainly be used for the linesman too.

I suspected there was an offside, however you can only pull the game up if you see it, and I don't think anybody could be sure until the replay came, which was too late for a VR decision to be called for.

Whilst it may have been at a crucial time, I'm glad it didn't turn out to be the match-winning try, and there is certainly an argument for a forward pass for the Leeds try anyway.

Good Things

"Sold Out" - great news and as said - need to sort out the corporate waste of tickets.

Sheer quality of Warrington's defence for the full 80 - magnificent

Danny McGuire - incredible work rate in attack and defence

Broadcasted in HD

Looked good on TV

Bad Thing

The fight! But watching on TV - didn't have a clue it was happening.

Minor Niggles

Poor woman who sang had a faulty microphone - poor do!

Not enough cameras

Leeds fans walking out - Leeds tried hard and didn't deserve to have that done.

Question

Did the knock on from the kick off just tip the mental scales to Wires advantage from that very first second?

Question

Did the knock on from the kick off just tip the mental scales to Wires advantage from that very first second?

I don't think so. After all Leeds crossed the Warrington line a few minutes later.

Clement Attlee.

I don't think so. After all Leeds crossed the Warrington line a few minutes later.

And also, Leeds recovered that situation really well with an excellent tackle to get Atkins in touch, so it was pretty much cancelled out IMO.