The Kiwis should be favorites for the Four Nations

The 4 Nations is going to turn out to be a major embarassment for English Rugby League.

The standard in Superleague drops year-on-year and the team we send will be shorn of some of our better players by the time we get down there. Furthermore the coach is a complete goon, in my opinion and the only English RL fans pleased to see him in the job will be those that also support Bradford Bulls.

I am predicting that we will be beaten by all the other teams, PNG included.

PNG almost beat us in the last World Cup and I feel that the time for them to overtake us internationally is very close indeed.

Prepare yourselves for massive disappointment.

:(

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4 Nations is going to turn out to be a major embarassment for English Rugby League.

The standard in Superleague drops year-on-year and the team we send will be shorn of some of our better players by the time we get down there. Furthermore the coach is a complete goon, in my opinion and the only English RL fans pleased to see him in the job will be those that also support Bradford Bulls.

I am predicting that we will be beaten by all the other teams, PNG included.

PNG almost beat us in the last World Cup and I feel that the time for them to overtake us internationally is very close indeed.

Prepare yourselves for massive disappointment.

:(

With Inglis definitely out, Thurston probably out, and Lockyer a bit suspect, it is hard to look at Australia as red hot favourites. To be sure Jamie Lyon and Michael Jennings will be great replacements for injured Inglis and Hodges, and departing Folau. Scott Prince is a great talent and able replacement for Thurston. But the missing players had the X factor. If I was a big betting man, I would put money on New Zealand. They have a lot more passion than the stylish Australians.

But I agree that the English propects are severley hindered by the choice of current coach McNamara. Bobby Goulding would have been much better, but he is already taken. :D

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Hohaia is ok up the middle on the back of a decent pack. He's ok.

Kenny Dowell isn't a top centre, whether you say he is or not. He just isn't.

Benji is brilliant (at times) for Wests where his unpredictability is a massive part of the game plan. In a new team which needs structure, his effectiveness is significantly less.

Matulino plays for NZ doesn't he? Not Brisbane.

I suggest you watch some more, learn some more, watch some more, learn some more then get back to me.

Rubbish! SKD is slightly better than average, Shenton is easily as good, he is also a proven performer in Internationals from the 4N last year. Wouldn't even get in most team? that's laughable Brisbane (Hodges & Inglis), Dragons (Gasnier, Cooper, Scott) and Manly (Matai, Lyon) are the only ones he wouldn't get in the team but then niehter would alot of good players, nor would they want to sign another centre.

As of yesterday Shaun Kenny-Dowell was NRL's equal top try scorer (along with Newcastle winger Akuile Uate)

At the end of regular season he was equal second along with winger Morris and centre Folau.

He was also equal third best player in terms of line breaks (behind wingers Uate and Morris).

http://www.nrl.com/nrlhome/tabid/10182/default.aspx

Not a top centre, eh? Slightly above average eh?

I suggest you all watch some more, learn some more, watch some more, learn some more then get back to me.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

As of yesterday Shaun Kenny-Dowell was NRL's equal top try scorer (along with Newcastle winger Akuile Uate)

At the end of regular season he was equal second along with winger Morris and centre Folau.

He was also equal third best player in terms of line breaks (behind wingers Uate and Morris).

I suggest you all watch some more, learn some more, watch some more, learn some more then get back to me.

What is wrong with you?

Wrong forum.

Go away.

With Inglis definitely out, Thurston probably out, and Lockyer a bit suspect, it is hard to look at Australia as red hot favourites. To be sure Jamie Lyon and Michael Jennings will be great replacements for injured Inglis and Hodges, and departing Folau. Scott Prince is a great talent and able replacement for Thurston. But the missing players had the X factor. If I was a big betting man, I would put money on New Zealand. They have a lot more passion than the stylish Australians.

But I agree that the English propects are severley hindered by the choice of current coach McNamara. Bobby Goulding would have been much better, but he is already taken. :D

I agree. We'd have been much better with Bobby Goulding, who had a half decent spell as coach of the world-class Rochdale Hornets, and went on to guide France to such success in the 2008 World Cup.

If this suggestion was tongue in cheek, then I apologise. However, I doubt it was.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

:lol:, just :lol: Outstanding... I suggest YOU watch some more and stop taking so much notice of stats. SKD still = slightly better than everage. A lot of mistakes, good finisher, nothing special, doesn't create many if any tries for others. Here's a list of players I would consider 'above average' or 'top' centres:

Greg Inglis

Israel Falou

Jamie Lyon

Mark Gasnier

Justin Hodges

A few centres left out that are still better than SKD; Jennings, Tate and Tonga for example. I've watched just about every game SKD has played this year so don't quizz me with a whole lot of bullsh!t about he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's good, he's not great yet and he's certainly not worthy of the hype you're giving him.

:lol:, just :lol: Outstanding... I suggest YOU watch some more and stop taking so much notice of stats. SKD still = slightly better than everage. A lot of mistakes, good finisher, nothing special, doesn't create many if any tries for others. Here's a list of players I would consider 'above average' or 'top' centres:

Greg Inglis

Israel Falou

Jamie Lyon

Mark Gasnier

Justin Hodges

A few centres left out that are still better than SKD; Jennings, Tate and Tonga for example. I've watched just about every game SKD has played this year so don't quizz me with a whole lot of bullsh!t about he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's good, he's not great yet and he's certainly not worthy of the hype you're giving him.

Did you watch Shaun Kenny-Dowell singlehandedly win the preliminary final match last night against Wests Tigers (after Carney, Pearce and Anasta had created the draw)? I guess not. :rolleyes:

Did you watch him score against Manly or Cronulla? Oh, I forgot, I cannot quiz you. :rolleyes:

And as for those pesky stats about the number of tries he has scored and number of line breaks he has made, obviously they are irrelevant to any judgment of the player. The Sun Herald journalists were obviously more impressed with them than need be when they voted him into their Dream Team. Perhaps you should approach the NRL personally and advise the organisation to stop bamboozling people with data, and suggest that the NRL just seek your opinion of players, which conveniently needs no objective evidence to support it.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Did you watch Shaun Kenny-Dowell singlehandedly win the preliminary final match last night against Wests Tigers (after Carney, Pearce and Anasta had created the draw)? I guess not. :rolleyes:

Did you watch him score against Manly or Cronulla? Oh, I forgot, I cannot quiz you. :rolleyes:

And as for those pesky stats about the number of tries he has scored and number of line breaks he has made, obviously they are irrelevant to any judgment of the player. The Sun Herald journalists were obviously more impressed with them than need be when they voted him into their Dream Team. Perhaps you should approach the NRL personally and advise the organisation to stop bamboozling people with data, and suggest that the NRL just seek your opinion of players, which conveniently needs no objective evidence to support it.

Single handedly? :lol: you're on something strong. If anybody single handedly won it for the Roosters it would have been Carney. SKD won the game for them off an intercept, anybody with pace could have done the same so using that as an argument is quite sad.

I watched both, yes, he played well, I've never debated that he's a good player he's just not as good as you're hyping him, finsher, not a creater that puts him behind Inglis, Gasnier etc. who can take control of a game by themselves on their day, SKD cannot, he may be able to sometime soon but not yet.

Using stats to form an opinion? Nathan Merrit scored the most tries in a season for a losing team a few years back but was never above average NRL winger level, according to your theory he must have been superman. He probably has been one of the top centres of this year but that doesn't mean much when you consider;

Inglis - Been playing in a team with nothing to play for 3/4 of the season, 1st 1/4 he looked like he was struggling with injury/weight.

Gasnier - Only been playing for a couple months.

Hodges - Hasn't played at all

Lyon - Has easily been better than SKD

Falou - Out of favour a bit, I would say he and Lyon were easily the best centres of the year.

I have absolutely nothing against SKD, he's a good player, I call it how I see it and he's not yet a great player like some are claiming him to be. Most of his tries are scored off the back of brilliance from one of the best halves pairings in the league in Carney and Pearce. Since you're so keen on stats how about the stat that he has the most breaks that lead to no points? that would create an impression that he can hit a hole but isn't good at setting up the finish for his winger or beating the fullback. Not necessarily true but if facts are so important it must be. I wouldn't mind having a look at the errors stat aswell.

:lol: Seems to me just because you watch more NRL than the average poster on this site that you hold your opinion on it as better than anyone elses. So maybe instead of suggesting things for me to do, YOU should actually stop making out that you're above us all with your vast knowledge on the NRL, or just go back to trolling about getting SL clubs in ridiculous places in ridiculous time-frames.

Single handedly? :lol: you're on something strong. If anybody single handedly won it for the Roosters it would have been Carney. SKD won the game for them off an intercept, anybody with pace could have done the same so using that as an argument is quite sad.

I watched both, yes, he played well, I've never debated that he's a good player he's just not as good as you're hyping him, finsher, not a creater that puts him behind Inglis, Gasnier etc. who can take control of a game by themselves on their day, SKD cannot, he may be able to sometime soon but not yet.

Using stats to form an opinion? Nathan Merrit scored the most tries in a season for a losing team a few years back but was never above average NRL winger level, according to your theory he must have been superman. He probably has been one of the top centres of this year but that doesn't mean much when you consider;

Inglis - Been playing in a team with nothing to play for 3/4 of the season, 1st 1/4 he looked like he was struggling with injury/weight.

Gasnier - Only been playing for a couple months.

Hodges - Hasn't played at all

Lyon - Has easily been better than SKD

Falou - Out of favour a bit, I would say he and Lyon were easily the best centres of the year.

I have absolutely nothing against SKD, he's a good player, I call it how I see it and he's not yet a great player like some are claiming him to be. Most of his tries are scored off the back of brilliance from one of the best halves pairings in the league in Carney and Pearce. Since you're so keen on stats how about the stat that he has the most breaks that lead to no points? that would create an impression that he can hit a hole but isn't good at setting up the finish for his winger or beating the fullback. Not necessarily true but if facts are so important it must be. I wouldn't mind having a look at the errors stat aswell.

:lol: Seems to me just because you watch more NRL than the average poster on this site that you hold your opinion on it as better than anyone elses. So maybe instead of suggesting things for me to do, YOU should actually stop making out that you're above us all with your vast knowledge on the NRL, or just go back to trolling about getting SL clubs in ridiculous places in ridiculous time-frames.

GREAT POST :P:lol: Well addressed ;):lol:

OK thats acceptable to a great degree.

I won't argue that the defence in the middle of the field is often ( not by any means always) strong but that is not being dominating, our pack does face them up but we do not attain superiority that often, in either attack or defence and that is the contention that I have on this subject.

For sheer endeavour I doubt many of the forwards we have chosen over many years, have let themselves down in that department, but competing and proving better than your opposition are two vastly differing achievements and unfortunately I see that we have more often done the former than the latter.

I hope and pray you prove right next month down under and our pack wipes them out, plus our halves win the battle also, which should lead to us winning, but having seen all or most of the Oz games this season I think it's going to be a tall order.

PS; will Eastmond be going? I do not think that Myler will be capable of the effect you quote and we could be in some trouble with that situation.

i thikn our biggest disagreement is on "superiority" and "dominance" definaitions other than that we seem to be on the same page..

but i have said that i think mcnamanamanhwmakmsjhjw is very able to cock this whole thing up royally so either way i get the feeling i shall be proved right which is nice :) i thikn the team we will take will be strong and on paper we will be excited then we will be let down.

i also am not 100% about Myler.. and just wonder if Eastmond doesnt go if Tomkins at 7 and Widdop at 6 may just be worth a run out if only for 20 minutes in the warm up just to try it out..

in the key "spine" positions the kiwis have talent to burn

9 = isaac luke, one of the form hookers in the nrl

7 = kieran foran, whose getting better and better

6 = benji marshall, who has a slight knee injury at the moment

1 = lance hohiai

then nathan fien is still available as a utility 9,7 or 6

jared warea hargraves is one of the hardest hitters in the nrl

shaun kenny dowell in the centres is in career best form

then youve got the nucleus of warriors players including big manu vatuvei, simon mannering even russel packer is going well, and kevin locke

there are loads of talented kiwis coming through the nrl ranks