Willie Mason signs for Superleague side.

Sporting Life

Big name.

Is he the missing piece for the jigsaw for HKR?

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sporting Life

Big name.

Is he the missing piece for the jigsaw for HKR?

No

Not going to Bradford then, i am shocked

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Although I think it would be naive not to have some reservations about Willie Mason, the vast majority of Hull KR fans are rightly ecstatic at this signing!

In terms of profile, I honestly think this is arguably the biggest signing in Super League's history!

Righly or wrongly, with his mountainous physique and wild hairstyles, Mason is probably Rugby League's most iconic figure who transcended the sport's normal boundaries in terms of profile with his infamous knockout of Stuart Fielden in front a few million viewers on the BBC!

For instance, Mason is one of the exceptionally few RL players who could expect an invite onto Question of Sport and be largely recognised!

He is a copywriters dream and already there is an unprecedented level of interest locally surrounding this signing!

Although I think it would be naive not to have some reservations about Willie Mason, the vast majority of Hull KR fans are rightly ecstatic at this signing!

In terms of profile, I honestly think this is arguably the biggest signing in Super League's history!

Righly or wrongly, with his mountainous physique and wild hairstyles, Mason is probably Rugby League's most iconic figure who transcended the sport's normal boundaries in terms of profile with his infamous knockout of Stuart Fielden in front a few million viewers on the BBC!

For instance, Mason is one of the exceptionally few RL players who could expect an invite onto Question of Sport and be largely recognised!

He is a copywriters dream and already there is an unprecedented level of interest locally surrounding this signing!

yep, probably agree with pretty much all of this, although I think the Andrew Johns signing was the highest profile signing going.

yep, probably agree with pretty much all of this, although I think the Andrew Johns signing was the highest profile signing going.

We got Johns for a few games, though, HKR have Mason for 2 seasons, visa/permits pending, obviously.

As a long term high profile signing, it's a masterstroke for HKR, even at this stage in Willie's career.

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

We got Johns for a few games, though, HKR have Mason for 2 seasons, visa/permits pending, obviously.

As a long term high profile signing, it's a masterstroke for HKR, even at this stage in Willie's career.

Yep, however profile only really lasts for the one or two weeks around the signing. Johns had a huge presence, it even had a live broadcast on SSN, Mason is big, but not in the same league as Johns, and the impact he had, even for a few weeks is unprecedented.

Still, very good signing IMHO.

Yep, however profile only really lasts for the one or two weeks around the signing. Johns had a huge presence, it even had a live broadcast on SSN, Mason is big, but not in the same league as Johns, and the impact he had, even for a few weeks is unprecedented.

Still, very good signing IMHO.

Take your point.

I found out from workmates in Bicester at the time, and they never took any notice of our sport.

Edited by goldcard

Take your point.

I found of from workmates in Bicester at the time, and they never took any notice of our sport.

Yep my workmates from Chester at the time asked a hell of a lot of questions for once!

Edit: misread/misunderstood your post sorry

Edited by Dave T

Terrific signing for Rovers. Now the rest of Super League will hate them as much as we do...:-). Should certainly spice up the Derbies next year. I heard Justin Morgan interviewed about the Mason saga the other day. He said Mason had "Resigned himself to playing in Super League next season" interesting choice of word that..

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Terrific signing for Rovers. Now the rest of Super League will hate them as much as we do...:-). Should certainly spice up the Derbies next year. I heard Justin Morgan interviewed about the Mason saga the other day. He said Mason had "Resigned himself to playing in Super League next season" interesting choice of word that..

"Resigned" indeed. He is not wanted in the NRL. He is an ordinary player on he field, and a troublemaker off the field. The Roosters board were glad to see the back of him. He plays for what is now the weakest team in the NRL.

If you saw Mason play for a pathetic North Queensland tonight, as I did, then you will be prepared for his future underwhelming performances in Super League, weaker tackling standards there notwithstanding.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Will he get a visa?

I know he's transgressed many times on the field over the years, but what's his record off the pitch? Anything that might get the immigration people's spider senses tingling?

So he says - "You're not a real fishmonger, you've just done a plop in the wrong lavatory..."

If you saw Mason play for a pathetic North Queensland tonight, as I did, then you will be prepared for his future underwhelming performances in Super League, weaker tackling standards there notwithstanding.

you don't half talk ###### you

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

"Resigned" indeed. He is not wanted in the NRL. He is an ordinary player on he field, and a troublemaker off the field. The Roosters board were glad to see the back of him. He plays for what is now the weakest team in the NRL.

You are correct.

Mason may well join the long list of much vaunted Australians, who have arrived on our shores with massive reputations, and big swag bags, who return home with their tails firmly between their legs not long after.

Most of the returned Aussies, who couldn't quite cut it in the weal tackling, slow paced, SL, then walk straight back into the SOO teams. Go figure.

I think KR have done the right thing here in bringing Mason over so that we can have some target practice. I predict Mason will be a massive flop, who will spend most of his time pretending to be injured, and the rest of it hiding from Jamie Peacock.

You're having a laugh aren't you?

God forbid he ever gets near QoS. He's an oaf who can't string two words together. The rest of the nation don't know any SL players so why would they know one who plied his trade 12,000 miles away? Just because he ####### Fielden five years ago! Another joke comment.

He's a headline writers' dream because of all the stupid gaffes he makes off the field.

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

Leaving alone the issue that Johns was only a loan signing anyway...of course for any Rugby League connoisseur, is a much higher quality/profile signing.

However, sadly his face isn't instantly recognisible to even many RL fans in this country, nevermind those with a passive interest.

The difference is that Mason is subliminally remembered by almost anyone with a casual interest in RL because of his menacing, iconic appearance and devastating KO of Fielden four years ago which received enormous, terrestrial exposure (by RL standards) at the time!

Sadly, to a casual viewer, those sort of incidents get spoken about in the pub more...get more Youtube hits...and ultimately live longer in the memory than any great try or distinguished career even!

For example, I well remember a young Argentine called Mendez flooring an England RU player called Ackford many years ago at Twickenham but could tell you nothing about their respective careers before or since!

Like I say, I am equally divided on whether Mason will be a sensation or a flop...either way it will be interesting!

His signing will be good for Super League in general and not just Hull KR.

I well remember a young Argentine called Mendez flooring an England RU player called Ackford many years ago at Twickenham but could tell you nothing about their respective careers before or since!

Well Ackford was a Policeman but now plies his trade as a vehement anti RL scribe for the Daily Telegraph. Mendez is probably a Tango Dancer in Buenos Aires.

I understand Hull FC are talking to Kiwi David Kidwell about coming out of retirement for the odd appearance or two next season.

Still, I suppose Mason will be guaranteed to put some bums on seats.

You always get that sort at Craven Park.