Thanks on my retiring from Treiziste Diary

Thanks on my retiring from Treiziste Diary

As John so kindly puts it in the latest Rugby League World, I tried to retire from my stint at Treiziste Diary a couple of editions ago, the feature on the history of RL in Paris was meant to be my last. But I have popped up again in the latest issue of Rugby League World, with a preview of the forthcoming LER season, including the Magique Weekend at L

Thanks for your efforts, Cliff. I always found something of interest in TD and will miss your input. Enjoy a long and happy retirement.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

It's much of the same from me too Cliff. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into TD. Always an informative and enlightening read for French news. Have a long and happy one mate but don't retire competely. You still have to post on this forum occasionally ;) .

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

For he's a jolly good fellow..altogether

Edited by amh

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

It's much of the same from me too Cliff. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into TD. Always an informative and enlightening read for French news. Have a long and happy one mate but don't retire competely. You still have to post on this forum occasionally ;) .

Thanks. But rest assured I have not retired from life or RL. :D

It was the great Harry Edgar all those years ago from the very early days of Open Rugby who turned me on to the glorious yet damaged history of French rugby league - and the game's latent potential there too. I'm still awaiting his long-promised book on those "Champagne" tourists of Down Under long ago!

Anyway, I've enjoyed reading your Treiziste Diary as much as I did Edgar's vivid essays and am pleased too that you are to be succeeded by Mike Rylance - author of the cruelly under-reviewed The Forbidden Game, a must-read for anyone who has ever cared for the game in France.

From here in Oz,thanks Cliff for keeping me up to date over the years with your informative insights, into the French rl scene.

Rugby league :If it was art, it would be a Monet.

Sorry for the blank reply above, been ages since I have contributed (I'm also from Oz) but just had to say how much I have enjoyed reading Cliff's TD and comments on this site. The ups and downs of the game in France I find most interesting and Cliff really brings them to life. Motivated in part by Cliff's words I visited France for the first time this year and whilst I didn't get to see a game I visited Carcassone, Lezignan etc , what great places. At Lezignan I got to speak to a young player for Lezignan at the market day and bought several t-shirts "Champion de France 2009 FCL X111", I love wearing them. I definitely will return and take in some games next time. Cliff, thanks so much for your informative , colourful, insightful and intelligent comments on our great game and in particlar the game in France.

Edited by koala

the story of the vichy banning of RL needs to be highlighted and cliffs work in this regard is much appreciated.

i only learned of this around 5 years ago and at first didnt believe it

many people ive told think im making it up

its a real shame we lost what we had in france it was a fantastic part of the RL world

i can only hope we get it back there one day

It was the great Harry Edgar all those years ago from the very early days of Open Rugby who turned me on to the glorious yet damaged history of French rugby league - and the game's latent potential there too. I'm still awaiting his long-promised book on those "Champagne" tourists of Down Under long ago!

While you're waiting, I assume you've already got Henri Garcia's excellent book on the same subject?

And Cliff, rest assured that your contributions to the magazine and this website are always valued, appreciated and enjoyed. Don't be a stranger on the TRL forum, now!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

cliff

always a pleasure to read what you have to say whether on here or in the magazine. Good luck with the future and hope all the illnesses get better. Hopefully you will keep contribution from time to time to the mag and may well see you around and about the amateur scene from time to time.

Rich

Thanks Cliff for your wonderful coverage of the game in France. I think that I've read every entry that you have ever done in Treiziste Diary and I've enjoyed them all. TD fired my enthusiasm for the game in France, and I've now got a wonderful group of RL friends from villages around the Carcassonee area. I hope that you will breakout of semi-retirement with many special essays in the future. Happy semi-retirement!

Cliff's idea or version of semi retirement will probably be something along the lines of only being socially active or involved for six and a half days a week, so let me also wish him all the best, from one old age pensionner to another.

Regarding trakl's reference to the champagne tourists, the excellent book "Champagne Rugby" written by Henri Garcia, originally published in French in 1961 and recently translated by Roger Grime on "The Golden Age of French Rugby League" is now available from London League Publications. Visit www.llpshop.co.uk for more details.

Edited by Geoff Lee

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

Cliff's idea or version of semi retirement will probably be something along the lines of only being socially active or involved for six and a half days a week, so let me also wish him all the best, from one old age pensionner to another.

Regarding trakl's reference to the champagne tourists, the excellent book "Champagne Rugby" written by Henri Garcia, originally published in French in 1961 and recently translated by Roger Grime on "The Golden Age of French Rugby League" is now available from London League Publications. Visit www.llpshop.co.uk for more details.

Thanks both to you and to Futtocks - I haven't read Garcia's book and shall put that right forthwith! I still hope to read Harry Edgar's book one day - his writing on French rugby league was always the most vivid and, dare I say it, romantic writing to be found in those far-off days of Open Rugby. Cliff has been a worthy successor.

Cliff

I fell in love with the French game through your words on here and in Treiziste Diary, absolutely brilliant coverage and colour. When I visited Treiziste France for the first time this summer, the places I visited were enlivened by the stories and information you have provided over many years. The column will be sadly missed but I look forward to reading your contributions on here for a long time to come.

All the best

Mark

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.