2010 MofS

Just had a quick glance through today's LE and was surprised to see Martyn Sadler championing Keiron Cunningham for the 2010 MofS. Great player though he's been the award is about who has made the most outstanding contribution to the game in the given year. Sadly that's NOT Keiron. I personally would give it to Pat Richards. What do others think?

rldfsignature.jpg

Just had a quick glance through today's LE and was surprised to see Martyn Sadler championing Keiron Cunningham for the 2010 MofS. Great player though he's been the award is about who has made the most outstanding contribution to the game in the given year. Sadly that's NOT Keiron. I personally would give it to Pat Richards. What do others think?

I think this suggestion follows in the same footsteps as Ryan Giggs as Sports Personality of the Year.

Pat Richards. Soooooo many points.

And would do points win ladies and gentlemen?

Prizes.

Richards or O'Loughlin otherwise the award is a crock of ****.

Bitofaboogie, is that you? Go on, tell us something about the special relationship.

There are a number of choices. Wingers should never be MOS though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

What about Sam Tomkins? Wigan have been moving him around, but he has shone in two positions.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

I think that's harsh tbh, Richards has had a huge impact on that Wigan team this year, and if the judges rule that he has had the biggest impact then he should get it, no matter what position he plays.

In that team there are a few who I wouldn't complain if they got it. Westwood, Richards, Roby, O'Loughlin have all had great seasons.

If Richards doesn't win it it will be the biggest farce since the year Roby won it over Barrett!!

I don't buy that. Richards has been very good, but then so have a lot of other players. He broke records because he kicks goals, which obviously attracts more headlines and makes him seem more important that plenty of other players.

There are a handful of players who could get it.

One other thing to consider is that in a team that plays good dominant expansive RL, wingers (and fb's) can finish off a lot of moves - see Riley at Warrington (not in the Dream Team despite 25 tries) - and get the headlines. If Riley was a kicker then I'm sure he would have had more headlines and been in ahead of Hall.

Like I say, Richards has been very good, and I would have no issue with him winning it, but statements like the above really annoy me.

Morley for me - there is a visible lift in his tema when he is on.

Pat richards has scored lots of points yes but as a winger outside an excellent team and a goalkicker that is always going to happen, especially if you can jump high,

I agree with Browny about wingers not being Man of Steel

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Danny Mcquire for mine! Been top class all season

I've seen this fella carry the team single handed at times this season so i agree with Rex, Danny Mcguire for me. It's easier to shine when you're with a team sweeping all before it but Mcguire has been sensational in a misfiring team and he's had a great work ethic. Most carries for our team at Hull on saturday and another two tries.

who is SuperLeagues top try scorer?

Richards - since when has that been a qualifier for MoS? I'm not sure I can ever remember the top try scorer being given the award, otherwise it would be boring, just like if it was only given to a tough tackling forward every year as some people seem to want.

It should be judged on overall impact and importance to a team and competition, if they decide Richards I won't complain, but I've no doubt many will complain if it went to someone like Westwood over Richards.

I agree. Loose forward, hooker, the halves and at a pinch a full back or 2nd row - these positions are where your actual Men of Steel ply their trade.

Having said that ( :D ), I reckon Morley should be in with a sniff. If not him, then O'Loughlin.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

I'd give it to Westwood. He's been as good as anyone this year. And it would be nice to acknowledge that a player who is regarded as wholly unexceptional (or even something of a liability) early in his career can, by virtue of sheer hard work and dedication, achieve one of the highest honours in the game.

I too think there are other candidates this season but my personal opinion is that Richards must get it, not only does he score tries and goals (which probably doesn't affect MOS anyway) its the work he's done bringing the ball out of his own half, busting tackles, gaining valuable metres etc etc that goes unoticed by the average fan.

I too think there are other candidates this season but my personal opinion is that Richards must get it, not only does he score tries and goals (which probably doesn't affect MOS anyway) its the work he's done bringing the ball out of his own half, busting tackles, gaining valuable metres etc etc that goes unoticed by the average fan.
I agree that Richards is very valuable and not just for finishing moves off, but it was your statement that it would be a farce if he doesn't get it, when you acknowledge that there are other candidates.