The 1895 Club

Cofi

During last night's programme on Eddie Waring there was a reference to the 1895 Club. Does anyone know more about this club and its aims? Is it still going? I wonder if anyone on here were members of that club?

During last night's programme on Eddie Waring there was a reference to the 1895 Club. Does anyone know more about this club and its aims? Is it still going? I wonder if anyone on here were members of that club?

It has existed in various guises from time to time. The last one I am aware of was set up Lionel Hurst and was based at the George Hotel in Huddersfield. My Girlfriend was a director of it for a while. It arranged various fund raising events such as NRL grand final breakfasts etc.

It has existed in various guises from time to time. The last one I am aware of was set up Lionel Hurst and was based at the George Hotel in Huddersfield. My Girlfriend was a director of it for a while. It arranged various fund raising events such as NRL grand final breakfasts etc.

Cheers Paley. So was the original supporters club established with the specific aim of trying to counter what it saw as 'patronising' and 'stereotyping' coverage of the sport by the BBC with Waring the 'villain'? Why was the 1895 club set up?

Cheers Paley. So was the original supporters club established with the specific aim of trying to counter what it saw as 'patronising' and 'stereotyping' coverage of the sport by the BBC with Waring the 'villain'? Why was the 1895 club set up?

I remember reading something a few years back about an 1895 Group (or it might have been Club) that held fundraisers for international development. That might be the group you're asking about?

I remember reading something a few years back about an 1895 Group (or it might have been Club) that held fundraisers for international development. That might be the group you're asking about?

I think Saint Billinge may have been a member during the time they were talking about, he was present when a delegation presented a petition to the BBC demanding improvements in their coverage of RL.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The 1895 club organised by Lionel Hurst was set up well after Eddie Waring had died so I don't think they had any axe to grind there. I believe it was just for fundraising purposes as others have alluded to.

rldfsignature.jpg

I think Saint Billinge may have been a member during the time they were talking about, he was present when a delegation presented a petition to the BBC demanding improvements in their coverage of RL.

I was indeed present when it was formed. Its aims was to promote rugby league far and wide taking in all levels. A petition was organised against the BBC at the time for its poor coverage. This petition was presented to the BBC before the 1976 Challenge Cup final. While handing it over, our chairman made it very clear it wasn't against Eddie Waring. So, what do the press do that attended! They turned it into an anti Eddie Waring attack. Typical! Their version that came out has stuck to this day and is untrue.

I do recall Harry Edgar attending several meetings and where his magazine was born. In its time, the 1895 club rattled a few people inside rugby league for having the audacity to challenge the sports ruling body.

There were many successes and an enjoyable time being radical. :D

And also helped developing nations.The Dutch benefited from the 1895 International with equipment which was brought over by the first incoming tour team (Rotterdam v Clock Face Miners) in 2004.

The Dutch wore the 1895 logo on their shorts that season when they played Serbia and Scotland Students

58371_464533771321_601776321_6409172_1189618_a.jpg

And also helped developing nations.The Dutch benefited from the 1895 International with equipment which was brought over by the first incoming tour team (Rotterdam v Clock Face Miners) in 2004.

The Dutch wore the 1895 logo on their shorts that season when they played Serbia and Scotland Students

58371_464533771321_601776321_6409172_1189618_a.jpg

Indeed, it's a shame it didn't continue.

The Clock Face lads showed up at every event

The original 1895 club gave the fans a voice and enjoyment working together for the good of the sport.

It would be great if someone had the time and inclination to get it going again, I'd pay good money to join a club like that.

It would be great if someone had the time and inclination to get it going again, I'd pay good money to join a club like that.

At its height, the regular meetings were very well attended. Like other organisations, though, numbers dwindled. There was also the thorny issue that the bulk of the work was being carried by a select few with many members simply using it as a social event at meetings. I suspect the other 1895 club had similar problems!

The original 1895 club also made many enemies within the sport simply for voicing opinion. The sport back then thought fans should be seen but not heard. B)

Edited by Saint Billinge

I was indeed present when it was formed. Its aims was to promote rugby league far and wide taking in all levels. A petition was organised against the BBC at the time for its poor coverage. This petition was presented to the BBC before the 1976 Challenge Cup final. While handing it over, our chairman made it very clear it wasn't against Eddie Waring. So, what do the press do that attended! They turned it into an anti Eddie Waring attack. Typical! Their version that came out has stuck to this day and is untrue.

I do recall Harry Edgar attending several meetings and where his magazine was born. In its time, the 1895 club rattled a few people inside rugby league for having the audacity to challenge the sports ruling body.

There were many successes and an enjoyable time being radical. :D

Thanks for this Saint Billinge - interesting stuff. So it wasn't the type of coverage that the club was concerned about but the quantity? Is that what you mean by 'poor coverage'? It must've been exciting being part of that first 'historical' meeting. Were you mostly Saints fans because I'm sure the guys interviewed on the documentary were Saints supporters. Hope I'm not being nosy; just curious and interested.

I would too. I'm just thinking whether that supporters organisation (forget what it's called) that is to meet or has met in Huddersfield is trying to do something as 'radical' today - I don't know. If so, I should've paid more notice!

Why did it not continue?

I am not sure but I guess the driving force behind it was Lionel, I think maybe he found other pursuits and it just petered out. It was fun while it lasted.

Thanks for this Saint Billinge - interesting stuff. So it wasn't the type of coverage that the club was concerned about but the quantity? Is that what you mean by 'poor coverage'? It must've been exciting being part of that first 'historical' meeting. Were you mostly Saints fans because I'm sure the guys interviewed on the documentary were Saints supporters. Hope I'm not being nosy; just curious and interested.

I would too. I'm just thinking whether that supporters organisation (forget what it's called) that is to meet or has met in Huddersfield is trying to do something as 'radical' today - I don't know. If so, I should've paid more notice!

The main thrust of the petition was to improve the quality, rather than use the sport as a sideshow. We also fought for rugby league to be played in the armed forces, colleges and universities. Evey week something new arrived to get involved in. It really was exciting stuff. We had fans from far and wide but mostly Saints fans.

We really did upset some people in rugby league but so be it the way fans were treated at times.

The main thrust of the petition was to improve the quality, rather than use the sport as a sideshow. We also fought for rugby league to be played in the armed forces, colleges and universities. Evey week something new arrived to get involved in. It really was exciting stuff. We had fans from far and wide but mostly Saints fans.

We really did upset some people in rugby league but so be it the way fans were treated at times.

Thanks SB. College and University RL is played the length and breadth of the country today (If I'm correct) so it would seem that the club made a significant contribution in this regard, fulfilling one of its main objectives. When you mention Harry Edgar's magazine, was this the club's official magazine? It'd be great to have a look at a few copies.

Thanks SB. College and University RL is played the length and breadth of the country today (If I'm correct) so it would seem that the club made a significant contribution in this regard, fulfilling one of its main objectives. When you mention Harry Edgar's magazine, was this the club's official magazine? It'd be great to have a look at a few copies.

His very first edition of Open Rugby was very basic and sold at one of the meetings. Harry kindly loaned me a copy for inclusion in one of the books I helped write.

We most certainly fought hard for the armed services and students to play rugby league.

His very first edition of Open Rugby was very basic and sold at one of the meetings. Harry kindly loaned me a copy for inclusion in one of the books I helped write.

We most certainly fought hard for the armed services and students to play rugby league.

So if I've understood correctly, the 1895 Club played an important role in establishing Open Rugby, which was the forerunner to RLW. Right?

If that's the case, then the Club's contribution across various aspects of the sport was really quite significant. You guys should arrange a reunion and celebrate the Club's 'radical' achievements.

So if I've understood correctly, the 1895 Club played an important role in establishing Open Rugby, which was the forerunner to RLW. Right?

If that's the case, then the Club's contribution across various aspects of the sport was really quite significant. You guys should arrange a reunion and celebrate the Club's 'radical' achievements.

Open Rugby was Harry's baby. He just sold it at the 1895 club when attending. We still gave it a good go getting up people's noses for the good of the sport. I'll check my files to see if I still have a copy of Open Rugby.

• 4 years later...

Just been flicking through the Media Petition book and in particular the first basic edition of Open Rugby. One article suggested Tours should stay. Here is the first part of Harry's piece that he kindly penned for the book.

It is over a quarter of a century that the first issue of 'Open Rugby' magazine was born out of the same feelings and frustration that I'm sure compelled Ray Gent to undertake his petition. 

In that first edition - in the very first paragraph ever written in the magazine - I made the comment, that whilst rugby league couldn't be beaten as a sport on the field, off the field "it has suffered from such an appalling lack of good publicity it is still a minority sport in most parts of the world - it has suffered from a smear campaign by a few sick-minded patrons of a rival code, and has suffered from its own inability to promote its own assets."