Matty Smith signs/re-signs/recalled/whatever for Saints

Matty Smith has agreed to join Saints until the end of their play off campaign as cover for our injured half backs. The move has been approved by RFL and he is currently in training at KR.

Likely appearance against Wires this weekend.

StormSig1.gif

www.newtonstorm.co.uk

Good move, sorry he was allowed to leave in the first place....

Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

I like Matty Smith. He has different qualities to Kyle & think he has a great kicking game. I felt the club were too hasty in getting rid of him & I hope he comes back & proves them wrong / me right ;)

I am glad we can give him a bit of a send off too.

Come on Matty

Technically he's our player until the seasons over.

That's not the point, he hasn't played a single game for Saints during regular season. Bit of a farce IMO.

Maybe Crusaders or someone should look at fetching in some NRL players on short-term deals too.

That's not the point, he hasn't played a single game for Saints during regular season. Bit of a farce IMO.

Maybe Crusaders or someone should look at fetching in some NRL players on short-term deals too.

Well lets face it thats been done before, Johns (Wire), Morley (Bradford). At least Matty has been officially registered with us for the last few years

Well lets face it thats been done before, Johns (Wire), Morley (Bradford). At least Matty has been officially registered with us for the last few years

Fail. Johns played two regular season games for Warrington in 2005.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

There is no point.

He's a registered Saints player,out on loan to Salford. The club have every right to recall his services. Sia Soliola has barely managed a full game also this season, as well as Fasavailu. Is it a farce that they may well be playing also.

TBH there does seem slightly more to this than meets the eye. If he is a contracted Saints player, why did they need RFL approval for this move?

I have no issue with the fact that he hasn't played for them this year, we gave a lad a debut last week, no big deal.

why did they need RFL approval for this move?

Better safe than sorry?

If I were a club official I wouldn't consider it to be beyond the realms of possibility the RFL had something in the small print that said a player had to feature in the regular season in order to play in the play-offs. Better to check than face exclusion after the event.

Better safe than sorry?

If I were a club official I wouldn't consider it to be beyond the realms of possibility the RFL had something in the small print that said a player had to feature in the regular season in order to play in the play-offs. Better to check than face exclusion after the event.

Just seems strange that this is then highlighted in the press, aren't all signings and movements between clubs subject to RFL approva?. Maybe they are well aware what a cynical bunch us fans are!

Its all a bit irrelevant now anyway - he's come back to Saints this week, they've realised he's still ###### and he hasn't been picked in the 19 for Fridays game against Wire

Think that's a bit unfair on the lad TBH. He wasn't quite so ###### against us at the willows this season as I recall. In fact he was quite instrumental in Salfords win that day.

Its all a bit irrelevant now anyway - he's come back to Saints this week, they've realised he's still ###### and he hasn't been picked in the 19 for Fridays game against Wire

So, he's still ######, is he? Man of the match tonight. Not bad for a ###### player. :P

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Good for the player but I am a tad puzzled. I always thought Saints loaned him out season long because they could not fit his salary under the cap. I masy be wrong but as soon as a player plays for a club, his whole salary goes on your cap?

You have to play a certain number of games before your full salary counts on the cap(6 I think).

So, he's still ######, is he? Man of the match tonight. Not bad for a ###### player. :P

This was only the second good game he's ever managed in a Saints shirt (the other being a play off against Leeds 3 years ago). Every other chance he's had in the 1st team he's been fairly poor.

Given the choice i'd have agreed with the Saints board and sold Smith to Keep Eastmond every single time !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Saints released Fozzard the week they recalled Smith, no issues with Salary cap as far as I know

It doesn't matter who Saints release if they have played the required number og games their full salary will count on the cap.I don't think it will be a problem because with it only being for two or three games only a tiny percentage of Smiths salary will count on Saints cap.