22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Huddersfield Giants
    • Crusaders RL

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugly wins don't draw crowds. Giants drawing just 5,000 home fans for a play off eliminator after finishing fifth suggests a complete lack of interest in the team and a lack of entertainment by the team.

Certainly aint lack of entertainment

No idea what the answer is, best team we've had in 40 years or so, its going up but slower than i would have liked, we've been scoring points for fun recently.

Im sure Brown will take ugly wins every day while Davy probably wants the best of both.

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

season tickets are virtually been given away yet the people of Huddersfield are seemingly too apathetic to support their team.

Season tickets were cheap 2 years ago

There are incentives to existing holders to renew last year and this but the last 2 years we've been on a par with other teams pricewise

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Good effort from Crusaders. Cut out many of the silly errors and poor choices that have cost them. Sadly came up with a couple at the wrong time which cost them. Also finished too many sets badly. Superb defensive effort when the Giants upped their game though. Disgraceful call from Ben Thaler that was absolutely critical in deciding the game. Giants were poor but did enough when it mattered, crowd was diabolical in terms of home support.

Which call?.

And not a swear word heard at any of them :O:O:O

if youve never stood on a brick to see the game, at a snowy post office road, or had a pint or three at parkside you are not a true fan

afraid Hudds wont ever get big crowds, even when they reach a final..Maybe too many teams both rugby and soccer nearby.

Edited by saintfrank

Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

See, the thing is that there are 5 other teams in this league with worse crowds than us. And it's been like that for a few years now. So on that basis you need to get shut of them as well.

The crowd wasn't great but all this conjecture about there would have been more at x and a better atmos at y; it's a joke.

We'll travel to Leeds next week, or Wire. And whichever it is we'll get grief. Today the Cru had the benefit of being in front of the commentary box and the mics. It's like when you go to Saints; the place could be like a church and all it takes is one man screaming at that mic they set up. We're not given that opportunity. It is fashionable to have someone unfashionable. Christ, we don't even bother responding to the sh*t on here any more. Who cares?!

See you next round. We're still in it; are you?

:lol:

. Today the Cru had the benefit of being in front of the commentary box and the mics.

:lol:

And in front of the TV cameras too or was that done with mirrors? :lol:

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

My original comment was not on the fact that 5 clubs have worse crowds.

I said, for the size of the town, the fact that you have plenty of RL (non SL) areas around to get fans from such as Halifax and Oldham, the fact that your team has done well on the pitch for the past few years, the fact you have a great stadium that can attract women/kids/corporates etc.

Then your crowds are the worst in SL by a mile.

I wasn't having a pop, just making observation.

The people of Huddersfield do not like RL, there isnt much you can do.

Just meant it was a shame as with your demographic and facilities you could be a real powerhouse in the game with 20k+ rocking the place every week.

My original comment was not on the fact that 5 clubs have worse crowds.

I said, for the size of the town, the fact that you have plenty of RL (non SL) areas around to get fans from such as Halifax and Oldham, the fact that your team has done well on the pitch for the past few years, the fact you have a great stadium that can attract women/kids/corporates etc.

Then your crowds are the worst in SL by a mile.

I wasn't having a pop, just making observation.

The people of Huddersfield do not like RL, there isnt much you can do.

Just meant it was a shame as with your demographic and facilities you could be a real powerhouse in the game with 20k+ rocking the place every week.

So you expect us to have a higher average attendance than Leeds, a city three times the size? A team that hasn't drawn an attendance of 20,000 for the last three years despite being back to back to back Champions?

It isn't very realistic is it?

Disgraceful call from Ben Thaler that was absolutely critical in deciding the game.

Which call?.

I remember the Giants getting, what seemed to me, a very dubious decision which led to them scoring with 10-15ish mins left on the clock. Sadly I was applying my much needed anaesthetic for the Hull derby which I was attending shortly after so can't recall it more precisely.

These things even themselves out in the end though don't they? :huh:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I remember the Giants getting, what seemed to me, a very dubious decision which led to them scoring with 10-15ish mins left on the clock. Sadly I was applying my much needed anaesthetic for the Hull derby which I was attending shortly after so can't recall it more precisely.

These things even themselves out in the end though don't they? :huh:

I must be the only person who is staggered that not one yellow card has been issued all season for time wasting or delaying restarts, until Ben Thaler decided to do it to Crusaders yesterday. Thaler himself stopped the clock for goal line restarts during the game. If it hasn't been done all season, how can a referee possibly justify a different application of the rules at such a crucial stage in a finely balanced play off match?

When he made the call to sin bin Jordan James he clearly called 'It's not a penalty'. If it's not worthy of a penalty how can it be worth 10 minutes in the sin bin?? 20m restarts can only take place when the referee is in position and gives the signal. Thaler was not in a position to signal the restart, nor were the Giants attemtoing to perform a quick restart. Key point is that the ball was not in play, as it hasn't been on numerous occasions when players throw/kick the ball away to delay scrums, drop outs etc

The most cybical piece of ungentlemanly conduct all season was by Kevin Brown in the win at Wigan. He cynically ankle tapped a support player yet he was not penalised or sin binned for it. Last might Huddersfield were penalised twice for deliberate obstructions to prevent Crusaders players getting the ball in open play. How on earth is what Jordan James did worth 10 minutes if those attract no more than a penalty? Terrible deecision from Thaler that cost Crusaders a great deal and handed a massive advantage to the Giants.

I must be the only person who is staggered that not one yellow card has been issued all season for time wasting or delaying restarts, until Ben Thaler decided to do it to Crusaders yesterday. Thaler himself stopped the clock for goal line restarts during the game. If it hasn't been done all season, how can a referee possibly justify a different application of the rules at such a crucial stage in a finely balanced play off match?

When he made the call to sin bin Jordan James he clearly called 'It's not a penalty'. If it's not worthy of a penalty how can it be worth 10 minutes in the sin bin?? 20m restarts can only take place when the referee is in position and gives the signal. Thaler was not in a position to signal the restart, nor were the Giants attemtoing to perform a quick restart. Key point is that the ball was not in play, as it hasn't been on numerous occasions when players throw/kick the ball away to delay scrums, drop outs etc

The most cybical piece of ungentlemanly conduct all season was by Kevin Brown in the win at Wigan. He cynically ankle tapped a support player yet he was not penalised or sin binned for it. Last might Huddersfield were penalised twice for deliberate obstructions to prevent Crusaders players getting the ball in open play. How on earth is what Jordan James did worth 10 minutes if those attract no more than a penalty? Terrible deecision from Thaler that cost Crusaders a great deal and handed a massive advantage to the Giants.

Have there really been no binnings for this offence this year?

Also, it is not a penalty. Play has stopped and therefore a penalty cannot be awarded. It was a professional foul, was stupid, and a clear yellow card.

The bad decision that I remember was when he gavea knock on against Crusaders when it was actually one of the cleanest ptb's of the game!

Have there really been no binnings for this offence this year?

Also, it is not a penalty. Play has stopped and therefore a penalty cannot be awarded. It was a professional foul, was stupid, and a clear yellow card.

The bad decision that I remember was when he gavea knock on against Crusaders when it was actually one of the cleanest ptb's of the game!

How does what Jordan James did merit a yellow card when not one yellow card has been issued throughout this SL season for any form of time wasting or delaying a restart? In the Friday night game players kicked the ball away to slow down restarts and all the referee did was stop the clock.

You have highlighted that the ball was not in play, just as it wasn't when all the other forms of time wasting take place. How does the James incident become a sin bin offence when it does not affect play, but Kevin Brown does not merit a penalty or yellow card for his effort at the DW Stadium? Why can two Giants players be penalised rather than sin binned for professional fouls in the same game?

Do you remeber the fuss a couple of seasons ago about very slow restrts at goal line drop outs? No cards were issued then, all that happened was clock stopping. Why make the first decision of it's kind all season in this one game? Where is the consistency and fairness in doing this? Thaler should have stopped the clock and had a word. Just like he and all the other referees have done all season. To disadvantage Crusaders in such a way was an absolutely dreadful piece of officiating that had a massive influence on the game.

Edited by StevieM13

Time is called at goal line drop outs at every game if the team is messing about, we'll no doubt see another later today

So when Leroy was trying to pass to the 20m line to restart, that wasnt attempting to get on with it ?

How does what Jordan James did merit a yellow card when not one yellow card has been issued throughout this SL season for any form of time wasting or delaying a restart? In the Friday night game players kicked the ball away to slow down restarts and all the referee did was stop the clock.

You have highlighted that the ball was not in play, just as it wasn't when all the other forms of time wasting take place. How does the James incident become a sin bin offence when it does not affect play, but Kevin Brown does not merit a penalty or yellow card for his effort at the DW Stadium? Why can two Giants players be penalised rather than sin binned for professional fouls in the same game?

Do you remeber the fuss a couple of seasons ago about very slow restrts at goal line drop outs? No cards were issued then, all that happened was clock stopping. Why make the first decision of it's kind all season in this one game? Where is the consistency and fairness in doing this? Thaler should have stopped the clock and had a word. Just like he and all the other referees have done all season. To disadvantage Crusaders in such a way was an absolutely dreadful piece of officiating that had a massive influence on the game.

They are very different things that you are talking about. Taking your time to restart the game is one thing, and the ref generally stops the clock so that there is no disadvantage.

Stopping the other team taking a quick tap is a professional foul and a yellow card offence. I actually thought there should have been a Hudds yellow card for a professional foul too (holding down after a break), but the James one was very very clear cut.

You have highlighted that the ball was not in play, just as it wasn't when all the other forms of time wasting take place. How does the James incident become a sin bin offence when it does not affect play

It does affect play, he prevented a quick restart

Why can two Giants players be penalised rather than sin binned for professional fouls in the same game?

They weren't professional fouls

They are very different things that you are talking about. Taking your time to restart the game is one thing, and the ref generally stops the clock so that there is no disadvantage.

Stopping the other team taking a quick tap is a professional foul and a yellow card offence. I actually thought there should have been a Hudds yellow card for a professional foul too (holding down after a break), but the James one was very very clear cut.

It's exactly the same, for example, as kicking the ball away when there is a scrum or delaying any sort of restart. Where in the rule book does it say that James' very minor indiscretion is a yellow card but all other forms of time wasting/delaying restrts are not?

20m restarts could be taken as long as the side in possession were onside and the restart was from centrefield. Now it's when the referee is in position before the restart can be taken. Ben Thaler was not in position to allow the restart so how can James be sin binned for delaying the restart if it can't be taken until the ref says so?

What advantage did Crusaders gain and the Giants lose? Where was the referee, where was the Crusaders defensive line, was there a Giants player waiting centrefield to restart? It was an horrendous decision for a nothing offence that massively influenced the outcome of the game.

Did you notice the way Brian Noble totally ignored Ian McGregor when he spoke to Paul Dixon post match? Not hard to guess why.

I rembember Halley getting binned for knocking the ball out of Matt Sings hands to delay the restart in a challenge game a few years back. Ganson said at the time that 10 minutes in the bin was mandatory for delaying a restart. I'm sure Mick will remember :D

Not the best of games but these knockout matches are not always exhibitions.

Well done to Huddersfield. It is good to see a club that has built gradually and sensibly become established in the top tier. They might not be flash but substantive progress has been made in the past decade. They won despite not playing well in the attacking side of their game. The Fartowners looked nervous in the first half, but they also tried to make difficult passes at speed that were risky in the weather conditions.

The Crusaders were gutsy in defence but offered little in attack, apart from going to Samut to produce openings. Let's hope they can sort out the finance side to make the club sustainable.

With regard to Hudds, true rugby league fans will be pleased to see such an historic team making progress. It wasn't pretty but they won.