WiZARDS EARN GRAND FINAL PLACE AFTER BUFFALOES SEE RED AND YELLOW

Marto

WIZARDS EARN GRAND FINAL PLACE AFTER BUFFALOES SEE RED AND YELLOW

by Andy Coldrick

Bramley Buffaloes 16 (6) v Warrington Wizards 27 (19)

Players and spectators alike expecting a tense struggle between these two teams in an effort to reach the Grand Final will have been ultimately disappointed with the game they witnessed as referee Luke Fellows brandished cards seemingly without consistency to reduce Bramley to, on occasions, 9 players. Given the hefty penalty count and that from the 27th minutes the Buffaloes never had a full team on the pitch, it came as no surprise that the Wizards eased to a 16-27 victory.

Unfortunately the Wizards performance, who started very well and were steady throughout, will be overshadowed by the officials performance. There was no James Brown or Robin Wilkes in the Buffaloes 17 this week, however the team still looked strong with only Dan Caston, Alistair James, Nick Fontaine and Shaun Flynn missing. The Buffaloes were able to welcome back powerful second rower Paul Gledhill to the bench whilst Matthew Booth also made a welcome return in the centres. The Wizards meanwhile showed a number of positional changes from the team that played at Bramley just a few weeks ago. Chris Campbell moved to fullback and there were changes within the pack with Tom Wild and Simon McEvoy coming in to replace Matt Clarke and Matt Wilson. John Morley and Carl Leach were on the bench in place of Adam Knight and Dan Stubbs.

The Buffaloes started brightly with Tony Williams making a half break inside the opening minute, however both teams turned over possession in their opening sets. The Wizards settled the quicker of the two teams and a looping pass on 3 minutes found winger Graham Healey in actress of space enabling him to score easily in the corner. Steady play from the Wizards and a good kicking game allowed them to force a Buffaloes drop-out on 7 minutes. On the back of this and some poor goal-line defence Jono Smith crashed over for a try on 9 minutes when an offload caught the Buffaloes defence asleep. Smith converted and further damage was done on 17 minutes when Campbell went over wide out. Buffaloes coach Mark Butterill made multiple substitutions and this paid dividends as Gledhill and Elliker started to make metres going forward, Gledhill in particular looking dangerous. Paul Drake was prompting the Buffaloes attacks and it was his deft inside pass to Gledhill on 25 minutes that allowed Gledhill to charge through 2 would be tacklers to crash over under the posts for a try. Drake converted. Any thoughts of a Buffaloes fight-back were dashed in the remaining 15 minutes of the half as the officials appeared to penalise the Buffaloes after every tackle. Richard Hulme was shown a straight red on 27 minutes for a high tackle , Jono Smith converting a penalty shortly afterwards, 6-16. Another Smith penalty on 35 minutes was followed moments later by John Elliker being sent to the sin-bin for punching. Smith coolly slotted a field goal on 38 minutes and then Graham Harrison was also sent to the sin bin on the stroke of half-time. Bramley finished the half 6-19 down and 2-11 down on the penalty count and with only 10 players on the pitch.

The Buffaloes scrambled manfully at the start of the second half as they sought to keep the Wizards at bay, however when Richardson was shown a yellow card on 45 minutes, 9 man Buffaloes were never going to keep a slick Wizards team out. And so it proved on 46 minutes when following multiple off-loads Jono Smith scored again and landed the conversion. There appeared little way back for the Buffaloes at this point and it seemed only a question of how many the Wizards were going to score. As the Buffaloes got bodies back on them pitch they took the game to the Wizards and were rewarded for some good passing when Williams dived over from close range on 52 minutes. Once again any thoughts of a Buffaloes resurgence were quashed when Gledhill was dismissed for leading with the elbow on 55 minutes. Another Wizards penalty took them 17 points clear and the game entered the final quarter. Williams forced a drop

web-banner.jpg

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

Bramley Buffaloes|Buffaloes Video Channel|Buffaloes Merchandise|Buffaloes Blog|Buffs on Facebook|Buffs on Twitter

As a Bramley supporter I find that report very poor indeed, it is bordering on the embarrasing.

To blame the referee in such a way is shocking as our discipline was disgraceful at times.

Warrington kept their cool when it mattered most and thoroughly deserved the win.

I hope that we can get our discipline sorted out for Sunday's game otherwise we can kiss goodbye to our chances of making the Grand Final for the sixth successive year.

As a Bramley supporter I find that report very poor indeed, it is bordering on the embarrasing.

To blame the referee in such a way is shocking as our discipline was disgraceful at times.

Warrington kept their cool when it mattered most and thoroughly deserved the win.

I hope that we can get our discipline sorted out for Sunday's game otherwise we can kiss goodbye to our chances of making the Grand Final for the sixth successive year.

I would hope that as your opinion of the hard work put in by the person who writes the reports is so low, you will be volunteering your services to the club to help by writing these reports?

PM me or look up my details on the Bramley Website.

web-banner.jpg

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

Bramley Buffaloes|Buffaloes Video Channel|Buffaloes Merchandise|Buffaloes Blog|Buffs on Facebook|Buffs on Twitter

Bramley finally reffed as they should be.

Nothing else to say, they have been very "physical" in the last few seasons, from what reports I've read and heard elsewhere.(Some have been Hemel, not renowned for being reticent in the physical aspects of our game... ;) )

Not season over though, is it?

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

Penalty Count: 7(2)-18(11)

Referee: Luke Fellows

Sin-Bin: Elliker (Buffaloes) 37 mins Punching, Harrison (Buffaloes) 39 mins Head high tackle, Richardson (Buffaloes) 45 mins Foul & abusive language, Elliker (Buffaloes) 75 mins Punching, Stephenson (Wizards) 75 mins Punching

Dismissed: Hulme (Buffaloes) 27 mins Head high tackle, Gledhill (Buffaloes) 55 mins Leading with elbow, Leese (Buffaloes) 72 mins Fouls & abusive language

Sounds like an interesting game, altho to give the ref so much stick when two blokes have gone for punching and two for foul and abusive language seems harsh! What are the fixtures left now for the season in the play-offs, can't seem to find them anywhere?

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Sounds like an interesting game, altho to give the ref so much stick when two blokes have gone for punching and two for foul and abusive language seems harsh! What are the fixtures left now for the season in the play-offs, can't seem to find them anywhere?

Bramley V Huddersfield Semi final.

Warrington into the final

01Headbanner.jpg

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

I would hope that as your opinion of the hard work put in by the person who writes the reports is so low, you will be volunteering your services to the club to help by writing these reports?

PM me or look up my details on the Bramley Website.

In a similar vain, if TomTomGo takes you up on your offer, I am sure the RFL would love to hear from the chap who wrote the match report.

Bramley V Huddersfield Semi final.

Warrington into the final

A Bramley Warrington final would be interesting!!!

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

In a similar vain, if TomTomGo takes you up on your offer, I am sure the RFL would love to hear from the chap who wrote the match report.
I tried to get my coach and some of the players on referees courses last year. I was told to contact one rfl employee, who initially told me that he was too busy too sort it out, despite that being his job. i spoke to him a week later and he said to contact another rfl employee, so i spoke to seond RFL employee who told me i needed to speak to the first rfl employee.

at which point a gave up.

web-banner.jpg

I tried to get my coach and some of the players on referees courses last year. I was told to contact one rfl employee, who initially told me that he was too busy too sort it out, despite that being his job. i spoke to him a week later and he said to contact another rfl employee, so i spoke to seond RFL employee who told me i needed to speak to the first rfl employee.

at which point a gave up.

Fair play, but I'd skip the RFL and go to your local Referee's Society if your still interested.

Bramley finally reffed as they should be. Nothing else to say, they have been very "physical" in the last few seasons, from what reports I've read and heard elsewhere.(Some have been Hemel, not renowned for being reticent in the physical aspects of our game... ;) ) Not season over though, is it?

:D:D:D shouldn't always believe what you're told old bean. ROFL.

I trust that Bramley take action against their 'correspondent', but assume they wont.At times,Bramley make Queens look like angels.

what for? is it a crime to have an opinion? didn't think so. The condems haven't turned this into a facist state yet.

web-banner.jpg

The ref was pedantic and didn't have his best game, but when it came to playing smart rugby, the Wizards deserved to win.

The thing that stood out for me was how different the 2 teams were when speaking to the ref.

Each time the wizards spoke to the ref they called him Sir. I never once heard the Buffs players use the word. Once we were down to 12 men we should have ensured that our discipline levels were raised, not lowered.

I just hope that we have learned our lesson and get the win that we need on Sunday.