Chris Bridge pulls out of 4 Nations for family reasons

Wendall

WOLVES centre Chris Bridge has ruled himself out of England's Four Nations squad so he can be present for the birth of his first child.

The 26-year-old centre, who has recently returned from injury, is expecting a baby girl in November with partner Kirsten McCourt and has put his international duty on hold so he can concentrate on being a first-time father.

He said: "We are expecting our first child in early November and we are very excited.

"I spoke with Tony and to Steve Mac as soon as I realised there was a chance I would miss it and I decided that even if I was picked, I would not go.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/wolves...r_Nations_tour/

Bad planning but who can really blame him for doing the right thing.

I reckon England's centre prospects look even bleaker with Yeaman called up today.

My centres would be Shenton and maybe throw Gaz Ellis in there as we have quality in the pack.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOLVES centre Chris Bridge has ruled himself out of England's Four Nations squad so he can be present for the birth of his first child.

The 26-year-old centre, who has recently returned from injury, is expecting a baby girl in November with partner Kirsten McCourt and has put his international duty on hold so he can concentrate on being a first-time father.

He said: "We are expecting our first child in early November and we are very excited.

"I spoke with Tony and to Steve Mac as soon as I realised there was a chance I would miss it and I decided that even if I was picked, I would not go.

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/wolves...r_Nations_tour/

Bad planning but who can really blame him for doing the right thing.

I reckon England's centre prospects look even bleaker with Yeaman called up today.

My centres would be Shenton and maybe throw Gaz Ellis in there as we have quality in the pack.

[monotone]Oh no we might not stand a chance now....[/monotone]

Under no circumstances should we consider playing a second rower at centre.

Whatever people think of Bridge, he made a decent debut last year, played again against France this year, and would likely have gone, especially if Warrington win on Saturday and he had a couple more games to prove fitness.

Under no circumstances should we consider playing a second rower at centre.

Whatever people think of Bridge, he made a decent debut last year, played again against France this year, and would likely have gone, especially if Warrington win on Saturday and he had a couple more games to prove fitness.

I agree.

England will have to score more than they let in.

Pace will win the day on dry hard pitches, second rowers will not make 50 metre breaks nor will they contain the speed out wide that the SH teams have in abundance.

i dont understand people wanting to play second rowers at centre to be honest..

Ryan atkins should be in the side for a start but we really need to make sure we arent playing players out of position.

don't you have wingers in the RL you play??

centers break the line,wingers finish them off

Wingers are usually only as good as the service from their inside men.

Gasnier, Lyon and co will fancy their chances if they get one on one with a second rower.

If England has to put Forwards in the Centres as the best option its a lost cause.

lee gilmour was actually playing on the wing for GB when he ghosted right down the middle of the australian defence to score in the 2006 tri nations game in sydney

centers & 2nd rowers are,and should be,pretty much interchangeable in modern day RL

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

I think I must be in the minority here as I like Bridge as a player and think his omission WILL weaken the squad. He always seems to run the ball in hard and run it in fast

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

lee gilmour was actually playing on the wing for GB when he ghosted right down the middle of the australian defence to score in the 2006 tri nations game in sydney

centers & 2nd rowers are,and should be,pretty much interchangeable in modern day RL

I do not agree at all.

Most of the good Centres have totally different body types too Second Rowers.

You may have players like Watmough that can run wide during a game and punch holes through smaller defenders but they would soon be found out if they played wide all game.

Look at the best Centres most have tall rangy builds.

When SL first started and we moved to summer there was an opinion that big forwards were a thing of the past, and centres and 2nd rowers were pretty much the same thing.

Nowadays I think there has been a shift back to bigger forwards knocking around and bigger packs are becomin more common.

At my team, Warrington, there is no way that you would have Westwood or Louis Anderson playng in the centres. They are out and out back-rowers these days, and too big for centre. That isn't to say that there aren't certain utility players who can cover both slots, we have Grix for one, and I'm sure the likes of King or Atkins could do a job in the 2nd row, but at Test level, this surely isn't where we want to go.

RP mentioned Atkins, and I agree that he is now looking more and more likely to get a chance. I have previously said I thought it was a year or two too early for him, as he still has some dvelopment work on his defence, but tbh as our options thin out, and the fact that he has had a good 2nd half to the season, I wonder whether he does deserve a run.

There is also the safer option of Shenton and Yeaman, who both have Test experience.

i dont understand people wanting to play second rowers at centre to be honest..

Ryan atkins should be in the side for a start but we really need to make sure we arent playing players out of position.

Back in the day, second rowers were often used during games as centres because they were bigger and as quick over shorter distances than a natural centre. Goodway, Betts, Haughton etc would all drift out wide.

Once full time came along and players bulked up, that differential was lost and the practice was and is less often used. Now you tend to see backs taking the place of forwards in the scrum so that the defensive line can be more solid and the pack can break quicker. Watch how the likes of Mathers pack down at loose.

Now, I don't have kids so may be wrong here, but I'd rather be playing for my country in a test match against the Aussies than sitting in a hospital room with a screaming wife.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Now, I don't have kids so may be wrong here, but I'd rather be playing for my country in a test match against the Aussies than sitting in a hospital room with a screaming wife.

Indeed you are wrong.Family should come first.I applaud his honesty and integrity.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Back in the day, second rowers were often used during games as centres because they were bigger and as quick over shorter distances than a natural centre. Goodway, Betts, Haughton etc would all drift out wide.

Once full time came along and players bulked up, that differential was lost and the practice was and is less often used. Now you tend to see backs taking the place of forwards in the scrum so that the defensive line can be more solid and the pack can break quicker. Watch how the likes of Mathers pack down at loose.

yes i understand all that and i know who packs down where.. but i still dont see the point of playing ellis or tomkins out of position at centre.. its not about the defensive line up at the scrum or anything like that (that is also about getting back to your position quicker (especially with Mathers.. he peels back staight into full back instead of a loose peeling across the pitch etc and he is better on the turn if an inside ball is used).. its about attack as well and you dont want to have one of those players out there instead of an out and out centre, especially at test level.

Gilmour was playing their due to an injury IIRC.. it is one thing that ahppening during a match and yes i would move ellis out rather than having a centre on the bench just in case but i would never start with him there instead of say Atkins or even Yeaman.. its a needs must case playing a forward out there not a prefered option.

You want to make sure players are there to cover in the 17 but when you have a squad of 24 you dont need to to do that and you dont start with your cover already in the positions..