Where to stay in Wigan

Mrs B and myself intend to attend the Wigan v Hull KR playoff game this Friday night in Wigan.We will be driving from Cleveleys and would like to stay overnight and have a few drinks after the game in the middle of Wigan.

Can any of the good people of Wigan suggest any reasonable accommodation near the city ?

We would like to see the other attractins like the Wigan Pier and whatever else this famous place has to offer .

• Confused 1

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

Mrs B and myself intend to attend the Wigan v Hull KR playoff game this Friday night in Wigan.We will be driving from Cleveleys and would like to stay overnight and have a few drinks after the game in the middle of Wigan.

Can any of the good people of Wigan suggest any reasonable accommodation near the city ?

We would like to see the other attractins like the Wigan Pier and whatever else this famous place has to offer .

I stayed in the quality inn in Wigan, that place is alright

Anvil a must for a few ales

Errrrrr thats it :D

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Hardly a city!!! :rolleyes:

I would suggest the Swan and Railway if you you want something in the centre plus right near to Wigan Pier Train station and 5mins walk to DW.

Your missus will love it here.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl=en&...726957181769517

I'd go for the Quality Inn if I were you, we are not overly blessed with good hotels! Anything else is either going to be a long way out of town or be on the ropey side of ropey!

I'd take in the Pier on your way to the ground if you have time, don't think its open as a tourist attraction as such anymore, so you can pretty much take in all it has to offer as you walk from town to the ground.

The Anvil is a good shout, other than that, not to sure what to recommend, the trains to Manchester are frequent...............!!!

I'd go for the Quality Inn if I were you, we are not overly blessed with good hotels! Anything else is either going to be a long way out of town or be on the ropey side of ropey!

I'd take in the Pier on your way to the ground if you have time, don't think its open as a tourist attraction as such anymore, so you can pretty much take in all it has to offer as you walk from town to the ground.

The Anvil is a good shout, other than that, not to sure what to recommend, the trains to Manchester are frequent...............!!!

yeah at least it's staggering distance...I've never stayed in the centre...is the Bellingham OK?

Anvils ok and will be full of RL fans..stay away from King St

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I'd go for the Quality Inn if I were you,

Forgot to add, Paley has a fondness for there pillows as well

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Quality Inn is alright and it has a fine selection of Sale Sharks leaflets at reception

no such place as the quality inn, now called THE OAKS, beer prices sky high in their though, sleep there drink in Sams bar. :D

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

if you want to try a good English pub hotel with a good kitchen try:

Bay Horse. 53 Warrington Road, Ashton In Makerfield, Wigan, Lancashire, WN4 9PJ

I have stayed there and can recommend it. It is very English.

No baguettes for breakfast, but the food is good by English standards.

For the slightly more sophisticated palate there is a decent Italian restaurant not far away.

However you need a car to get around.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Travel down the road and stay in the much posher cheshire town of Warrington.

• Haha 1

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Thank you for your advice,we stopped at the Belair which was cheap and cheerful with friendly staff and a nice breakfast.

Attended the game and sat with the Hull KR fans and enjoyed the atmosphere and passion of both sets of fans.Quite an easy win by Wigan in the end.Went for a beer in the Anvil and talked to a couple of fans in there.l had a pint of Bucking Fastard :rolleyes: which was nice.

You can tell you are in a rugby league town when you go in the bookshop and there is a great selection of RL on the shelves

Great place,great fans and friendly people oh and the pies are nice too .

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

• 7 years later...

Top Wigan watering holes, 

Central Bar next to station a wide selection of real ale and ciders along with a lot of different bottled beers. 

Up from there Berkley, large pub showing lots of sport good selection of real ales.

Raven, traditional pub a choice of real ales, good basic pub grub for not a lot of dosh.  All on Wallgate, avoid anything on the opposite side of the road to these pubs.

John Bull this is past Weatherspoons (worst of their outlets I have been in) and up the second alley, famous juke box and a good selection of real ale. 

Tap and Barrel in Jaxons Court, brewery tap for local brewers Martland Mill Brewery, just down the road from that is the Anvil, Wigan's top real ale pub for many years, always a good selection of ale and cider. Nothing fancy, its a pub, but, with a great reputation for quality and price of its falling over waters.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

22 minutes ago, Padge said:

Top Wigan watering holes, 

Central Bar next to station a wide selection of real ale and ciders along with a lot of different bottled beers. 

Up from there Berkley, large pub showing lots of sport good selection of real ales.

Raven, traditional pub a choice of real ales, good basic pub grub for not a lot of dosh.  All on Wallgate, avoid anything on the opposite side of the road to these pubs.

John Bull this is past Weatherspoons (worst of their outlets I have been in) and up the second alley, famous juke box and a good selection of real ale. 

Tap and Barrel in Jaxons Court, brewery tap for local brewers Martland Mill Brewery, just down the road from that is the Anvil, Wigan's top real ale pub for many years, always a good selection of ale and cider. Nothing fancy, its a pub, but, with a great reputation for quality and price of its falling over waters.

All excellent choices, I'd also add the Northern Beer Temple to that list, its a bottle shop with bar, keep an eye on there facebook page for opening details, worth a visit, proper independent local business and the guy that runs it is passionate about his ale and brings stuff in from all round the country.