Where to stay in Wigan

'Kin ell, who dug this one up?

Not sure Wigan is any better a holiday destination now than in 2010, but fair play to those having a go.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

20 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Not sure Wigan is any better a holiday destination now than in 2010, but fair play to those having a go.

But just look at those forgotten forum heroes on this thread.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

once got lost driving round wigan on one of our earlier visits to the DW and called in a couple of pubs for directions and they seemed ok . I wonder if 15s or whatever its called is getting the tourist footfall ? bit like The Blind Beggar in London. Sorry☺️

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

5 hours ago, Derwent said:

Charles Dickens hotel, it's an experience you'll never forget....

Thanks, Derwent.  It sounds interesting.  I shall visit it with great expectations!

15 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Thanks, Derwent.  It sounds interesting.  I shall visit it with great expectations!

It certainly could be described as an Old Curiosity. Keep close protection of your Little Dorritt.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dixiedean said:

It certainly could be described as an Old Curiosity. Keep close protection of your Little Dorritt.

That's a bit worrying, DD. As public houses go, you're making it sound a bit bleak!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, shrek said:

All excellent choices, I'd also add the Northern Beer Temple to that list, its a bottle shop with bar, keep an eye on there facebook page for opening details, worth a visit, proper independent local business and the guy that runs it is passionate about his ale and brings stuff in from all round the country.

Good call, but his license is limited at the moment so best to check before going and expecting the bar to be open for a full session. (Think he has to close early due to neighbours).

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Charles Dickens closed, was re-opened by Alan and Tracy (Docherty ) Brannagan as Docherty's who ran an excellent house and installed the Mayflower brewer there. They have since left and the place has gone to the dogs, again and renamed The New Charles Dickens.

Edited by Padge

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

17 hours ago, Manx RL said:

Poole’s pies and the Bees knees recommended?

Bees KNees hasn't existed for years and is now a low life $h!t hole.

Pooles pies exist in name only.

Edited by Padge

15 hours ago, Just Browny said:

?

My sentiments exactly.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

17 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I can't remember the last time I went to Wigan. Obviously the therapy worked!

I can remember the last time I went to Hull, I still have the nightmares.

• Haha 1

Is this a rugby league forum or one about rival Civic Pride ? It's ok asking about places to stay and visit when coming for a game ,but all our hometowns have got their nice and not so nice places and some have got good teams 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

There aren’t many decent touristy places to watch RL in this country unfortunately...   maybe if York could get their act together, that would be a pretty nice weekend away with the family squeezing in a Super League game on the Sunday before the long drive home.

Cockermouth Titans would be quite nice on a dry sunny weekend.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

As for hotels Wigan town centre is light on them,  you have the Mercure Oak Hotel, and  a Premier Inn are the most central, there is a Spoons lodge close by as well but reports are not good about the place.

There is also a Holiday Inn Express close to the stadium or a little bit further out of town The MacDonald Kilhey Court & Spa (if you want to splash out) is probably one of the best.

The Charles Dickens hasn't been a hotel for years, but across the way Swinley 15 does do accommodation.

There is also a Premier Inn just off the M6 J25 that is about 1.5 miles from the stadium.

And finally there is Haigh Hall Hotel, set in the grounds of Haigh Hall Country Park this is a new hotel that has been created in the former Haigh Hall Stately home. Bit of a trek into town through the grounds, about 2.5 - 3 miles but the setting is great.

16 minutes ago, Padge said:

The Charles Dickens hasn't been a hotel for years, but across the way Swinley 15 does do accommodation.t

I stayed at the Charles Dickens a couple of months ago when Wigan played Wakefield. It was being renovated at the time. The bedroom was OK for the price. The bar was deserted every time I passed through it. Much better pubs nearby especially the Royal Oak,Wigan Central, Doctor something's micro pub and the Anvil.

15 hours ago, chisholm said:

Sorry  to say wigan has nothing to offer,, it becoming a ghost town !

Becoming? I haven't lived there for years and it's been that way a long time. Getting worse by the day because the parking is extortionate considering there's only half a town centre left.

Why are we recommending hotels 8 years later?

2 hours ago, bazzzz65 said:

I stayed at the Charles Dickens a couple of months ago when Wigan played Wakefield. It was being renovated at the time. The bedroom was OK for the price. The bar was deserted every time I passed through it. Much better pubs nearby especially the Royal Oak,Wigan Central, Doctor something's micro pub and the Anvil.

In that case the new landlord has re-opened the accommodation, if his taste in anything else is to go by I can't see it being up to much.

1 minute ago, Padge said:

In that case the new landlord has re-opened the accommodation, if his taste in anything else is to go by I can't see it being up to much.

I wonder if he lets rooms by the hour like the previous incarnation of the hotel did ?

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

26 minutes ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

Therapy, my friend. Therapy!

There isn't enough in the world.

3 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I wonder if he lets rooms by the hour like the previous incarnation of the hotel did ?

The new landlord was the landlord of The Griffin, Billy Boston's pub. He got thrown out when the owners decided it would be better as flats rather than a pub. The guts of the pub had already been destroyed and it was not the greatest place in town, so turning it into flats will probably improve the pub scene in Wigan.