Co-operative Championship play off. Halifax v Sheffield

I've predicted the Eagles will lose every week for the past month, and every time I've been wrong. So, I'll go for Halifax :D

Come on you Eagles!

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Close one this I think.

Fax at home should shade it if not too bothered with injuries.

Eagles have an impressive forward pack. Not overly convinced about their backs. Team spirit was good at Raiders last week.

Might just come down to a mistake or the bounce of the ball.

Looking forward to watching the game though.

Moff
Go Cumbria!

Close one this I think.

Fax at home should shade it if not too bothered with injuries.

Eagles have an impressive forward pack. Not overly convinced about their backs. Team spirit was good at Raiders last week.

Might just come down to a mistake or the bounce of the ball.

Looking forward to watching the game though.

Glad is wasnt as close as people were predicting. Shows what a good side Fax can be when they complete their sets rather than trying to score on every tackle.

Glad is wasnt as close as people were predicting. Shows what a good side Fax can be when they complete their sets rather than trying to score on every tackle.

I thought it was a tight game in the forwards but the Halifax backs looked much more secure in defence as well as taking their chances well. If they come out with that sort of form, and maybe have a few back from injury, it should be a cracker at the HJ against Fev.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Fax were much the better team last night and deserved winners. Once we were 18 points down at half time (due to some pretty terrible defence and endless penalty calls against us) there was no way back. In the second half we looked clueless, bar a half decent last 10 minutes.

Not impressed with Worrincy taunting the Eagles players though.

That game is going to cost Sam Barlow a lot of money :D

www.bristolsonics.com

Fax were much the better team last night and deserved winners. Once we were 18 points down at half time (due to some pretty terrible defence and endless penalty calls against us) there was no way back. In the second half we looked clueless, bar a half decent last 10 minutes.

Dont normally like to see that on the pitch either, but if anyone has a right to do it, Rob does after all the stick he received by your fans and officials since he joined Fax.

Didn't give Fax a prayer after last week.

Very well done to them.

From a ticket sales perspective I suspect the RFL may be relatively pleased with the outcome.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

I do not like to see or hear about a Coach constantly bagging oppossing players, yet Aston has been bagging Worincy since he signed for Fax a couple of years ago. Aston has been bitching about Fax and especially out Worrincy for the past couple of years and probably why Worrincy and Barlow did the actions they did.

Aston is a bitter twisted Dwarf who moans and groans about everything that goes against his team. He moaned about Widnes earlier this year, but forgot his players were just as guilty of laying on and commiting high and late tackles. His team were outplayed and outmuscled against Fax-but he could not bring himself to talk about the game. He was too busy moaning about Barlow. Fax hammered the Eagles in defence and took the chances that came there way. The Barlow saga probably damaged Sheffield more than Fax and mainly down to Aston creating such a big scene. He would have been better keeping quiet and getting his team to focus on the game.

As for Barlow, I am not sure Sheffield will pursue it. Why waste time, money and effort on something that they might not win in court? I have heard the agreement was a verbal agreement and was between Barlow and Aston. Fax had no say and the RFL told Fax and the Eagles earlier this week Barlow was free to play. I suspect that Aston is ****ed off with Barlow going partly against what had been a Gentlemans agreement. I doubt very much Barlow is going to have to pay thousands, even if it did go to court. He was a part time player on a smallish wage. The Eagles are best forgetting it and sorting things out for next year. Barlow likely has his moral reputation damaged badly and doubt people will now trust him on what he says.

I have heard the agreement was a verbal agreement and was between Barlow and Aston. Fax had no say and the RFL told Fax and the Eagles earlier this week Barlow was free to play.

Leaving aside the the fact that a verbal agreement is just as legally binding as a written one (it's just more difficult to prove it existed, as it is often just one man's word against another), the Sky team seemed to think that Barlow had signed a document, so it might drag on a bit if Sheffield want to pursue it. I think it might be worthwhile for the standard RFL contract to have clauses disallowing this type of thing though, fair enough if for a loan signing but if it's a straight transfer, then it's just plain daft to allow the former club to have a any say in picking the new club's team.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Leaving aside the the fact that a verbal agreement is just as legally binding as a written one (it's just more difficult to prove it existed, as it is often just one man's word against another), the Sky team seemed to think that Barlow had signed a document, so it might drag on a bit if Sheffield want to pursue it. I think it might be worthwhile for the standard RFL contract to have clauses disallowing this type of thing though, fair enough if for a loan signing but if it's a straight transfer, then it's just plain daft to allow the former club to have a any say in picking the new club's team.

Halifax were meant to pay a fee for Barlow's transfer, but they didn't have the cash so Sheffield waived it - on the proviso that Barlow didn't play against them. Fax would have known this, even if it was a 'gentlemens agreement' between Aston and Barlow.

It's worth noting that a similar precedent has been set for this: the Iestyn Harris case. It might seem different, but apparently it's relevant for any case Sheffield may or may not make against Barlow. In that instance, both Harris AND Bradford were found culpable.

To be honest, if I was Mark Aston I'd let it lie now. Yes, Barlow is an idiot and, yes, he's out of order, but there seems little point in pursuing it IMHO. It just makes you look bitter.

I agree with him that Barlow is out of order though. The man has **** for brains (Barlow, I mean).

As for Worrincy… what's this stick Fax fans keep going on about? He left us to go to Doncaster RU (for the money) and then moved to Fax (again, for the money - money it turns out they don't really have).

Edited by West Country Eagle

www.bristolsonics.com

Err, he went to Hull FC after Doncaster Knights, then returned to Eagles BEFORE going to Halifax....

Doh! Me bad! :D

And 'A.N. Other', Halifax's issues are well known. I can't imagine half their players offering themselves to other clubs for next season unless they'd been told the well of imaginary money had dried up.

Halifax aren't the only club in the Championship and Super League in hot water financially.

www.bristolsonics.com

Doh! Me bad! :D

And 'A.N. Other', Halifax's issues are well known. I can't imagine half their players offering themselves to other clubs for next season unless they'd been told the well of imaginary money had dried up.

Halifax aren't the only club in the Championship and Super League in hot water financially.

So no evidence then, just rumours. Thanks for clearing that up as well.

So no evidence then, just rumours. Thanks for clearing that up as well.

A journalist never reveals his sources.

If you want to bury your head in the sand, that's fine.

www.bristolsonics.com

Neither does a liar.

I'm not a liar.

Fax have gone on record as saying that they're "not out of the woods yet". That suggests to me that they are in financial trouble.

That plus all the other info I've heard from people close to the "team formerly known as the Blue Sox" = my opinion that they are struggling badly.

So, you answer me this: how can Fax afford the inflated salaries they've been paying this season?

www.bristolsonics.com

I'm not a liar.

Fax have gone on record as saying that they're "not out of the woods yet". That suggests to me that they are in financial trouble.

That plus all the other info I've heard from people close to the "team formerly known as the Blue Sox" = my opinion that they are struggling badly.

So, you answer me this: how can Fax afford the inflated salaries they've been paying this season?

I am not aware that the salaries that they are paying are "inflated"

"That plus - Fax have gone on record as saying that they're "not out of the woods yet". That suggests to me that they are in financial trouble.

That plus all the other info I've heard from people close to the "team formerly known as the Blue Sox" = my opinion that they are struggling badly" = you dont really know. You are just assuming

Edited by a.n Other

I am not aware that the salaries that they are paying are "inflated"

They are - seriously inflated. Unless Fax's current squad are willing to renegotiate/play for less next year, there will be a mass exodus.

Remind me about Halifax's youth policy? I know they've not signed up to the RFL's academy for next year, saying they can't afford it (the RFL insists all clubs, inc Championship clubs, pay U18s a minimum wage contract at least).

If they can't afford it, they must be spending their dosh on something else. Or have very little of it.

Fev and Sheffield aren't exactly rolling in cash, but they've both signed up to the RFL scheme.

www.bristolsonics.com

They are - seriously inflated. Unless Fax's current squad are willing to renegotiate/play for less next year, there will be a mass exodus.

Remind me about Halifax's youth policy? I know they've not signed up to the RFL's academy for next year, saying they can't afford it (the RFL insists all clubs, inc Championship clubs, pay U18s a minimum wage contract at least).

If they can't afford it, they must be spending their dosh on something else. Or have very little of it.

Fev and Sheffield aren't exactly rolling in cash, but they've both signed up to the RFL scheme.

So you are basing this on the fact that Fax arent running any Junior teams?

Im sorry for asking you anything as you clearly know nothing and cant prove anything.

A Sheffield fan livinv in Bristol now thinks he knows everything going on at Fax. Its obvious the club do not have as much money in 2011 as 2010.The 50,000 fine from theOstick fiasco alongside the lost cup revenue, early rail cup exit, no pre season games due to weather etc. So yes Fax need to cut back in 2011. Next year is a joke as the rfl have seen to it that Widnes should walk away with everything.

A Sheffield fan livinv in Bristol now thinks he knows everything going on at Fax. Its obvious the club do not have as much money in 2011 as 2010.The 50,000 fine from theOstick fiasco alongside the lost cup revenue, early rail cup exit, no pre season games due to weather etc. So yes Fax need to cut back in 2011. Next year is a joke as the rfl have seen to it that Widnes should walk away with everything.

I don't recall a

to be fair to him (and matt doesnt need me sticking up for him i know) but WCE is also a respected Journalist who does a fair bit on RL, he also is well connected within the Sheffield set up so its not like he is a "know nothing"..

he may not have this right i really dont know but "A sheffield fan livinv in Bristol now thinks he knows everything going on at Fax" is perhaps doing the man a disservice.

For all we know his next article could be on Fax and he has the information he will not divulge fully for quite obvious reasons. As is say not saying that is what is happening here, but maybe dismissing his comments out of hand could be a little premature.

Edited by RP London

Well, sooner or later I'll either be proved right or wrong.

I'm not a liar, though, and I'm also not repeating hearsay. If Fax fans want to live in cloud cuckoo land and deny there's a problem - which seems to be a trait I've noticed on other forums, especially with their "we're a big club" attitude

www.bristolsonics.com