'Tacky' insignias/emblems/badges in RL?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that RU doesn't have bad team badges though. Take The Sharks; Chiefs; Ospreys; Crusaders; Exeter Chiefs; Northampton Saints

Bit harsh on Northampton. I think their club badge is pretty classy.

Northampton_saints_badge.png

Edited by Severus

Fides invicta triumphat

I don't like it. It just isn't a great design in my personal opinion.

Back to the cross-code forum you Union fan, you. :lol: (joking)

Sorry boss ;). I do think you are correct, city crests are much better than something that is designed to make a graphic designer's portfolio look good. The problem with city crests are that you cannot copyright or claim trademark, therefore anyone can produce a shirt similar to your club's with the crest on. My club commissioned a ###### poor 'designer' version of the city crest simply so they could slap a copyright on it.

Fides invicta triumphat

Quite an interesting thread. I actually don't mind most of the Super League era badges.

Can't remember quite how true this is, but Bradford licenced the design of the Bull from Chigago Bulls, which was quite a shrewd move considering how big a global brand that was in the 90s. Don't know if we still pay them or it was a one off or not - but it shows has the badge does have a bit of history - even if it isn't all ours. :lol:

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Severus, that's fair enough, do you support Northampton Saints? I must admit I quite like a lot of city crests. I really like the Wigan Warrirs crest but I've no problem with the use of animals as marketting. As I've said earlier in the thread I just think a lot of them are OTT & poorly designed

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Can't remember quite how true this is, but Bradford licenced the design of the Bull from Chigago Bulls, which was quite a shrewd move considering how big a global brand that was in the 90s. Don't know if we still pay them or it was a one off or not - but it shows has the badge does have a bit of history - even if it isn't all ours. :lol:

When Northern were first marketed as the Bulls, I bought a polo shirt featuring a circular logo with a Hereford Bull-Head in the centre. I prefer the current one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

All recent RL logo's/nicknames are IMO utter #### and frankly embarrasing. We need to get back to our core emblems and crests

They make RL look childish

BTW Has anyone noticed the recent Team GB lion logo on the clothes designed by Stella McCartney? The lion looks suspiciously similar to the GB RL one used recently except that the lions head points west rather than east

All recent RL logo's/nicknames are IMO utter #### and frankly embarrasing. We need to get back to our core emblems and crests

They make RL look childish

BTW Has anyone noticed the recent Team GB lion logo on the clothes designed by Stella McCartney? The lion looks suspiciously similar to the GB RL one used recently except that the lions head points west rather than east

And keep our sport rooted in the 1950's.No thanks

The clubs logos are more identifiable now,it's a better marketing tool than an outdated emblem or crest.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Good girl. In Yorkshire, we know that's the direction where most of the trouble comes from.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

And keep our sport rooted in the 1950's.No thanks

The clubs logos are more identifiable now,it's a better marketing tool than an outdated emblem or crest.

They are identifiable because they are awful

Compare the classic "S" of Salford with the awful current red devil design, same goes for my own clubs badge.....

personally i think pretty much all the current crop of team badges/crests that were changed for the SL era are pretty awful.. i cant actually think of one that looks genuinely professional and well designed. the rhino's and bulls work as nicknames but the respective club badges that incorporate the animals are pretty dire.. the whole point of the name changes and new badges was to increase potential merchandising and marketing at the clubs.. and i cant imagine that has happened, or happened to a higher level than it would have happened if a certain team was successful.

how many teams have made increased sales solely due to the presence or reference to their adopted nickname in their merchandising, be it bulls, wolves, giants etc?..

Salford became the city reds because Man utd were incorporating the 'red devils' name into their marketing a lot more.. but their use of that now is pretty much non-existant. so salford should just re-brand again, as salford rugby league football club, and re-adopt their original nickname.

wildcats has to be the worst. made especially worse considering the name 'Wakefield Trinity' is such a fantastic traditional team name.

RL clubs should scrap the poor logos and badges, kick into touch the awful animal monikers, and rebrand to a more traditional but modern look. which would be much more appealing, imo.

The Phantoms badge that you have displayed looks way better than most of the Super League badges.

They are identifiable because they are awful

Compare the classic "S" of Salford with the awful current red devil design, same goes for my own clubs badge.....

Can we invent a time machine just so you can go there?

The S of Salford was rubbish.

I'm not against the use of monikers or of modern looking logos. My problem is that Rugby League has very few good ones on either side of the world.

Good girl. In Yorkshire, we know that's the direction where most of the trouble comes from.

:D

since when have castleford, hull, hull kr etc etc been in gods county of the red rose??

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

I don't get why Barrow Raiders' badge looks like a poor NBA rip-off (obviously changing the b'ball for a rugby ball) rather than something along the lines of the Centurians. :huh:

[edit] Careful Maximus, I'm lucky to have gotten away from giving RU badges credit for not being too badly designed in the most part but I think you'll get hung, draw & quartered for giving credit to an AFL team for their badge design. :D

Edited by HappyDave

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

I don't get why Barrow Raiders' badge looks like a poor NBA rip-off (obviously changing the b'ball for a rugby ball) rather than something along the lines of the Centurians. :huh:

[edit] Careful Maximus, I'm lucky to have gotten away from giving RU badges credit for not being too badly designed in the most part but I think you'll get hung, draw & quartered for giving credit to an AFL team for their badge design. :D

The Barrow logo is not bad.......

Barrow_Raiders_logo.png

I dont think the NBA had anything to do with it, although it looks pretty close to an NFL logo..........

500px-Philadelphia_Eagles_logo_primary.svg.png