Widnes Vikings

An afternoon which began remembering the life of Chris Percival ended with celebrations, on and off the pitch, as Widnes Vikings became Academy champions

This fact must be the jewel in our crown for our Super League bid.

I'd much prefer our Club to put their money into this type of structure than signing over paid SL cast-off's for our First Team.

http://www.widnesvikings.co.uk/article.php?id=2725

Edited by Bomb Jack

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

the club has ploughed a lot of time and money into the academy, which for me was exactly the right thing to do, as bomb jack said, it's far far better to go down this route than bring in ageing players for a quick fix. this has also got to be a massive box ticked when you consider that to win this title they are the only non super club in the valvoline championship and have beaten every other team in the competition.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

Well done, Widnes!

You planned your SL application perfectly. Priorities identified, start ticking them off. Ground - check. On-field performance - check. Junior development - check. It is an object lesson for every club.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I'd much prefer our Club to put their money into this type of structure than signing over paid SL cast-off's for our First Team.

Quite right. Widnes, Fev and Sheffield (the latter two are joining the Academy comp next year) have the right idea; Halifax and Leigh do not.

Bristol Sonics Rugby League

2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions

2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists

2008 RLC Team Of The Year

2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions

www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

Quite right. Widnes, Fev and Sheffield (the latter two are joining the Academy comp next year) have the right idea; Halifax and Leigh do not.

The trouble and the challenge of course is for those teams who do make the effort to have their players protected - or are compensated for those poached in some way. Without having the carrot of super league it can be very difficult to entice players to stay with you even though you're the ones who have put the effort and resources in so far. Widnes are having difficulties in that respect, the one thing we can offer our more promising youngsters is a good possibility that we can offer them super league in the near future. But I've heard reports of Warrington coming in and offering many times more than we were paying to promising youngsters, how can we compete with that?

Put all the work in today, gone tomorrow to consolidate the strength of someone else who is already at an advantage to you. What's the point?

As I say, something to look in to.

Hopefully they will be rewarded with Gerrard, Craven and possibly Kelly in the England Academy team.

I think Gerrard is too old now.

Craven will be a certaintly. An outstanding young player. Probably a 6 at that level. He certainly stood out recently when Wigan U18s beat Widnes U18's.

Great Wigan production line BTW the U18s ;)