Huddersfield vs Wigan at Fartown 1981

8 parts on youtube, here's the first

Might be worth a look for those of a certain age. Some partial views of the old Fartown ground as well.

I was too young to be there, but I understand that it was every bit as brutal a match as it looks on this video. Tony Johnson, the black guy playing for Huddersfield, took an absolute battering and had to be taken off after 50 minutes, but won man of the match.

6 players were sent off.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith Macklin and David Watkins. Went to the old Fartown few times.

I thought it was Keith Macklin, but did realise it was David Watkins. It must have been YTV. Watkins used to co commentate with John Helm on Scrumdown. I reckon Helme is one of the best RL commentators I've heard.

Ian Slater who scored Huddersfield's try is now a financial advisor with the Leeds Building Society.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I remember watching this match on TV. Not PC nowadays I know but this was known as the "pot black" game hereabouts. I'm sure Tony Johnson would have gone on to greater things but he suffered from the same sort of repeated treatment for a number of years before packing it in.

3 were sent off frrom each side, but there should have been more from Wigan, who were a really dirty team, even for those days.

This was a second division matrch as well.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Was it within the rules to hit black players at that time?

Seriously, were they targeting Johnson because he was black or because he was good?

Bit of both I suppose. This would be just before the Hanley era, but Clive Sullivan had already captained GB to a World Cup win, and the following year played for Hull in the CC final replay at Elland Road.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 parts on youtube, here's the first

Might be worth a look for those of a certain age. Some partial views of the old Fartown ground as well.

I was too young to be there, but I understand that it was every bit as brutal a match as it looks on this video. Tony Johnson, the black guy playing for Huddersfield, took an absolute battering and had to be taken off after 50 minutes, but won man of the match.

6 players were sent off.

I haven't watched the footage on youtube yet, but the game was so brutal I remember it to this day.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Was it within the rules to hit black players at that time?

Seriously, were they targeting Johnson because he was black or because he was good?

That question was asked at the time. Those involved in the game insisted it was the latter, but then that's what you would have expected them to say.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

That Wigan hooker was evil. I dont think it was Colin Clarke, who was he?

Can't remember off the top of my head without seeing the game. I'm sure one of the Wigan fans on here will be able to enlighten us.

That Wigan hooker was evil. I dont think it was Colin Clarke, who was he?

The commentary says Nicky Kiss

Clement Attlee.

Bit of both I suppose. This would be just before the Hanley era, but Clive Sullivan had already captained GB to a World Cup win, and the following year played for Hull in the CC final replay at Elland Road.

There were quite a few black players then - Drummond, Wilson etc. Johnson was known to be the Fartown forward with the most skill, hence the head-high tackling.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It was definitely Nicky Kiss.

He wasn't evil, he was lovable.

Ask John Major!!

Keith Macklin and David Watkins. Went to the old Fartown few times.

if you watch the full rl action programme this has come from i think you will find that lewis jones was at huddersfield that day not david watkins.

it was lewis jones first game of 2nd division rl that he had watched and i dont think he was impressed.

still it was a good game so much better than the touch and pass we see on sky these days.

makes you wonder how todays forwards would have suvived back then.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

still it was a good game so much better than the touch and pass we see on sky these days.

makes you wonder how todays forwards would have suvived back then.

Half of them wouldn't, because their parents wouldn't have let them take the game up if it was to be played in that manner. Rugby's hard enough without cheap shots and thuggery.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police