8 Wires named in England RL Squad

Wendall

ELEVEN players have been added to the England train-on squad following the elimination of Warrington Wolves and Hull Kingston Rovers from the Engage Super League play-offs.

Wolves' players asked to train on are Ryan Atkins, Garreth Carvell, Ben Harrison, Mickey Higham, Adrian Morley, Richie Myler, Chris Riley and Ben Westwood.

Chris Bridge made himself unavailable due to the forthcoming birth of his first child, while Paul Wood and Jon Clarke - two players with England international experience - will be disappointed to have missed out on the call.

The Hull KR players added to the squad are Peter Fox, Scott Murrell and Liam Watts.

http://www.thisischeshire.co.uk/sport/8402...train_on_squad/

Think this shows how far Wire have come as a club to have 8 called up, plus Bridgey (and I bet Briers if he wanted to swap nations!! :rolleyes: ).

As for the final squad I would say the following will be in it.

Atkins - We need centres with only Shenton first choice.

Westwood - A real grafter and did well last year for England

Morley - A shoe in, maybe skipper too

Fox - Best winger we have got who is English apart from Hall

Myler - As we are lacking in halves i think he will go despite him being out of favour with Wire

For what its worth this would be my England side for the 4 Nations.

1. Garreth Widdop

2. Peter Fox

3. Ryan Atkins

4. Michael Shenton

5. Ryan Hall

6. Sam Tomkins

7. Kyle Eastmond

8. Adrian Morley

9. Kevin Sinfield

10. Sammy Burgess

11. Garreth Ellis

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean O'Loughlin

14 James Graham

15 Joel Tomkins

16 Richie Myler

17 James Roby

Edited by Wendall

Lets hope it doesnt rain down under

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

Wolves' players asked to train on are Ryan Atkins (bought in), Garreth Carvell (bought in), Ben Harrison, Mickey Higham (bought in), Adrian Morley, Richie Myler (bought in), Chris Riley and Ben Westwood.

Think this shows how far Wire have come as a club to have 8 called up, plus Bridgey (and I bet Briers if he wanted to swap nations!! :rolleyes: ).

That somewhat paints a different picture! :P

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Sorry - I meant to say "went to Wire for less money as glory is payment enough "! :glare:

Money can't buy you happiness!

It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!

Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."

Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!

My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

Righty ho. :rolleyes:

I reckon even Roald Dahl would struggle to call him fantastic.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

ELEVEN players have been added to the England train-on squad following the elimination of Warrington Wolves and Hull Kingston Rovers from the Engage Super League play-offs.

Wolves' players asked to train on are Ryan Atkins, Garreth Carvell, Ben Harrison, Mickey Higham, Adrian Morley, Richie Myler, Chris Riley and Ben Westwood.

Chris Bridge made himself unavailable due to the forthcoming birth of his first child, while Paul Wood and Jon Clarke - two players with England international experience - will be disappointed to have missed out on the call.

The Hull KR players added to the squad are Peter Fox, Scott Murrell and Liam Watts.

Myler - As we are lacking in halves i think he will go despite him being out of favour with Wire

1. Garreth Widdop

2. Peter Fox

3. Ryan Atkins

4. Michael Shenton

5. Ryan Hall

6. Sam Tomkins

7. Kyle Eastmond

8. Adrian Morley

9. Kevin Sinfield

10. Sammy Burgess

11. Garreth Ellis

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean O'Loughlin

14 James Graham

15 Joel Tomkins

16 Richie Myler

17 James Roby

Morley, Westwood and Atkins with possibly Higham. No other will make the final squad.

IMHO

Morley, Westwood and Atkins only players good enough to make the final squad selection

Harrison / Myler 12 months too early

carvell :lol::lol: riley :lol::lol::lol: Higham hot & cold this season better options.

1. Garreth Widdop

2. Peter Fox

3. Ryan Atkins

4. Michael Shenton

5. Ryan Hall

6. Sam Tomkins

7. Kyle Eastmond

8. Adrian Morley

9. Kevin Sinfield

10. Sammy Burgess

11. Garreth Ellis

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean O'Loughlin

14 James Graham

15 Joel Tomkins

16 Richie Myler

17 James Roby

I can't see the point of a half back on the bench, when you have Roby who although is a hooker can be a utility player that can do a good job at half back and loose forward too.

Against Austrailia and NZ who tend not to play ball playing loose forwards, I think it will be 3 props and a hooker on the bench.

Don't see why Kevin would play hooker. Roby hooker and another hooker on the bench.

Can't see Eastmond making the team, maybe the squad with his injuries this year, surely Tomkins and another, maybe burrows. don't think Myler will play, if he can't even make the Warrington team for the big games he definately won't make the England team.

It's all about da bass

No utility back on the bench?

Roby or Sinfield may well be able to play in the Halves but who is covering Centre, Wing and Fullback without totally reshuffling the team.

Test matches are not the place to move 3 players around short of an emergency.

In the Final last year things went #### up when there was no adequate replacement for a Centre.

1. Garreth Widdop

2. Peter Fox

3. Ryan Atkins

4. Michael Shenton

5. Ryan Hall

6. Sam Tomkins

7. Kyle Eastmond

8. Adrian Morley

9. Kevin Sinfield

10. Sammy Burgess

11. Garreth Ellis

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean O'Loughlin

14 James Graham

15 Joel Tomkins

16 Richie Myler

17 James Roby

I'd have Tom Briscoe in there on the wing ahead of Fox as although Fox is ok he's not International standard.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

1. Garreth Widdop

2. Peter Fox

3. Ryan Atkins

4. Michael Shenton

5. Ryan Hall

6. Sam Tomkins

7. Kyle Eastmond

8. Adrian Morley

9. Kevin Sinfield

10. Sammy Burgess

11. Garreth Ellis

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean O'Loughlin

14 James Graham

15 Joel Tomkins

16 Richie Myler

17 James Roby

I agree with Bewareshadows about Myler not being in there and a third forward being included instead. It would appear that Eastmond needs a full off season to recover from the constant injuries that he's been picking up, as talented as he unless he makes a miraculous recovery in the next two weeks then it's no good taking him down under this year for his sake and for the team's.

From your line up I'd swap Graham and Burgess because Sam might make the more explosive impact coming off the bench whereas Graham is the steady go forward sort. Agree about Westwood deserving a chance this year and I'd like to see Fielden given another go after his resurgence this year. I can't comment on Widdop because I've not seen nearly enough of him to judge but apparently he can cover at fullback and standoff as can Tomkins so maybe he could be the squad's utility player. I'd go for...

1. Sam Tomkins

2. Tom Briscoe (better than Fox imo)

3. Michael Shenton

4. Ryan Atkins

5. Ryan Hall

6. Kevin Sinfield (far from ideal I know)

7. Rob Burrow

8. Adrian Morley

9. James Roby

10. James Graham

11. Gareth Ellis

12. Ben Westwood

13. Sean O'Loughlin

14. Sam Burgess

15. Joel Tomkins

16. Stuart Fielden

17. Gareth Widdop

I don't particularly like that as a halves combination but with injuries to Pryce, Maguire and probably Eastmond we're struggling in that area. If all went wrong with Sinfield in the halves then at least with the versatility on hand you could move Widdop to fullback and put Tomkins at standoff.

Just looked at the melbourne storm site.

1. Garreth Widdop

Has only played 3 games,

Don't think he will play FB off 3 games. Useful to have in the squad maybe as he is already over there, but you can't make the team off 3 games no matter who you understudy for.

If they go for Tomkins over Briscoe at fullback then maybe Myler will make half back along side Burrows.

Also has Wellens retired from international duty or are we jumping the gun before the remaining 4 sides players become available for selection.

It's all about da bass

Why no Mathers? I think we need to take 3 FBs: 1st choice - Widdop; 2nd choice - S Tomkins; 3rd choice - Mathers.

Seeing as England have the choice of T Briscoe, Hall, and Atkins why would 'Macca' take Fox on this seasons form?...

"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

Why no Mathers? I think we need to take 3 FBs: 1st choice - Widdop; 2nd choice - S Tomkins; 3rd choice - Mathers.

Seeing as England have the choice of T Briscoe, Hall, and Atkins why would 'Macca' take Fox on this seasons form?...

He's not international class,never has been,never will be.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Why Redcliffe Dolphins Terry?

My forum name,terrywebbisgod,I was a junior at Leeds ,Terry was in the first team and was a big influence on my playing style and helped me to develop as a player.Terry played for Redcliffe and has a role at the club still.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

My forum name,terrywebbisgod,I was a junior at Leeds ,Terry was in the first team and was a big influence on my playing style and helped me to develop as a player.Terry played for Redcliffe and has a role at the club still.

Thats interesting.

He is a Club Director, The Dolphins had a tough year this time around.

I know the Club reasonably well, I used to live not far from there.

Also has Wellens retired from international duty or are we jumping the gun before the remaining 4 sides players become available for selection.

Wellens is ok for Saints but lacks the pace to be effective at international level. I personally wouldnt even have him in the squad.

I think Tomkins has been a revelation at FB for Wigan, I'd have him there, altho that does leave a dilema in the halves. I'd take Eastmond if he's anywhere near fit.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

Wellens is ok for Saints but lacks the pace to be effective at international level. I personally wouldnt even have him in the squad.

I think Tomkins has been a revelation at FB for Wigan, I'd have him there, altho that does leave a dilema in the halves. I'd take Eastmond if he's anywhere near fit.

Wellens was shown up in 2008WC he never did that much before that at Test level.

Tomkins would be better at Half Back where he is in the line.

If Tomkins is at FB, Australia and the Kiwis will target him with high kicks and isolate him one on one with the runners in the SH backlines.

Tomkins v Vatuvei or Hayne etc will be a non event.

O'Donnell is a fine player but not at the top of the Tree, he had Tomkins looking like a speed bump.

Not strong enough or tall enough for Test fullback.

Height 178 cm (5 ft 10 in)

Weight 77 kg (170 lb; 12 st 2 lb)