Maurice Lindsay article

carlos

With Wigan, Lindsay showed what the word success" meant.

You mean spend a load of money your club doesnt have on the premise of winning every trophy, and if you didnt win every trophy then you would be in real financial trouble meaning you had to sell your ground to Tesco`s? Yeah, what a genius.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What rankles for many, and inspires jealousy in so many is that he was Wigan and he was successful. As we know, there are those that don't want the game to be successful lest they lose control.

It's probably more to do with the way he ran the RFL as his own personal fiefdom.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Like the bit where he's slagging off Capello and comparing himself to him because he was Great Britain manager down under.

He's an egotist for sure with all of the attendant weaknesses, including a selective memory. Wasn't his spell of tour management also the one that included sending half of the squad home before the NZ leg because of poor financial management?

ML actually did a lot of good for the game which was in really dire straits in the early 80's, but those who don't want to understand facts will always prefer bitter emotion.

Edited by Blind side johnny

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

You mean spend a load of money your club doesnt have on the premise of winning every trophy, and if you didnt win every trophy then you would be in real financial trouble meaning you had to sell your ground to Tesco`s? Yeah, what a genius.

So Jack Robinson had nothing to do with that? When did Lindsay leave the club?

In any case, who said he was a genius? Its an inconvenient truth but he just did more for the modern game than anyone else until Richard Lewis came along.

So Jack Robinson had nothing to do with that? When did Lindsay leave the club?

In any case, who said he was a genius? Its an inconvenient truth but he just did more for the modern game than anyone else until Richard Lewis came along.

No he didnt, he did absolutely nothing for my club in the modern game at all. He may have done well for a few, and as Wakefield Ram says even that is disputable.

I think i'd have prefered Lewis over Lindsay to be the face of Skys rebuilding of RL, saying that, I still could have done a better job than them both.

Now's you chance..it seems quite a few clubs might need you! :)

Edited by JohnM

I support Dewsbury, a financially well-run club, yes we're at the lower end of the Championship as our directors refuse to spend money we don't have.

And yes Wakefield are in a financial mess of their own making. But Maurice Lindsay would be in no position to preach about financial messes, given his track record.

Developing a ground is good when you can afford it. When it threatens the club's existence, it isn't.

And then he left the RFL with massive debts, so he clearly didn't learn.

Edited by Wakefield Ram

There are some on here who have an irrational dislikes of the guy because of how he looks, how he talks, etc. There are even some who resent his success.

I'm not taking issue with you in particular on this, but as a fair minded person with the greater good of the game as your motivation, you'll want to post the details of his disastrous financial record.

maurice lindsay was like ken arthurston, a monumental figure in RL.

he conned rupert murdoch into giving way more money for SL than they planned too, money that saved lots of clubs, including those not in SL.

also responsible for bringing in the cap.

in recent times lost touch with the RL player pool and signed many poor imports.

No he didnt, he did absolutely nothing for my club in the modern game at all. He may have done well for a few, and as Wakefield Ram says even that is disputable.

OML :lol: Jack Robinson deserves credit for being part of 4 Directors that created a resurgence in RL. Wigan RL led British RL kicking and screaming forwards from the Dark Ages. Unfortunately ML left, Jack Hilton and Tom Rathbone became too old and IIRC Hilton died leaving Robinson on his own and the subject of the Whitbread Stand disaster which NOBODY could have predicted and a bitter deud with Dave Whelan.

Jack Robinson muted a SL (In Open Rugby) long before it ever happened and ML/Wigan actually made RL newsworthy and far far more marketable. Events like the WCC were reborn via Lindsay. Any wealth / the survival of your club probably owes a debt to Lindsay / Wigan. Without Transfer fees paid for by Wigan, St Helens and Widnes would now not exist. Never stopped Saints fans screaming Judas at Connolly though :rolleyes:

If 1 (ONE) club matters more to the prosperity of RL it is W I G A N

Don't be bitter and resentful, be THANKFUL

OML :lol: Jack Robinson deserves credit for being part of 4 Directors that created a resurgence in RL. Wigan RL led British RL kicking and screaming forwards from the Dark Ages. Unfortunately ML left, Jack Hilton and Tom Rathbone became too old and IIRC Hilton died leaving Robinson on his own and the subject of the Whitbread Stand disaster which NOBODY could have predicted and a bitter deud with Dave Whelan.

Jack Robinson muted a SL (In Open Rugby) long before it ever happened and ML/Wigan actually made RL newsworthy and far far more marketable. Events like the WCC were reborn via Lindsay. Any wealth / the survival of your club probably owes a debt to Lindsay / Wigan. Without Transfer fees paid for by Wigan, St Helens and Widnes would now not exist. Never stopped Saints fans screaming Judas at Connolly though :rolleyes:

If 1 (ONE) club matters more to the prosperity of RL it is W I G A N

Don't be bitter and resentful, be THANKFUL

So much arrogance in so many words. Its fans like you that make it really hard to like to like a club.

There are some on here who have an irrational dislikes of the guy because of how he looks, how he talks, etc. There are even some who resent his success.

Nice of you to tell us why we dislike him, without actually having any idea why we do dislike him. Ask any Workington Town fan what they think of him, you might get a little insight into why without deciding on your own why.

I didn't ask anyone to like him. I'm not saying he was particularly pleasant, and the he did not make mistakes. I'm sure he felt he was a cut above the directors of some other clubs, too. Really, i just want people to base their opinions of him based on as many facts as are available, not on misrepresentations, like blaming his for thing at say Wigan, long after he had left. Their dislike of him, if real, will be based on what they were told, not necessarily what actually happened. In this particular edition of the Maurice Lindsay story there are already a number of errors.

So he left the RFL with

It makes no difference how much you dislike him, or why. That is, as you say, your opinion.

What is not in doubt is that he DID revolutionise the game.

Again. No Lindsay, no Sky, no pro game.

It didnt matter who fell by the wayside, funnily enough, Wigan didn't suffer in the long term.

Just because he was the face of Skys input, doesn't mean he did well, he nearly killed the game at semi-pro level, and screwed multiple teams over.

As an example, Rugby Union wanted to 'revolutionise' their sport, they got the proper people in, the FA wanted to 'revolutionise' the Football League, so formed the Premier League, the RFL get Maurice Lindsay, says it all about the RFL in the 90's, cock-eyed and half-arsed.

Cummins Out.

So much arrogance in so many words. Its fans like you that make it really hard to like to like a club.

:lol: So funny how people write hysterical OTT character assassinations that are wrong BUT then react aghast at OTT defence that actually has some truth. To then argue that a post can make you like or dislike a club is :rolleyes: a tad worrying for the person concerned.

Perhaps Tony Hannan is his article was totally vindicated by internet forums.

Maurice Lindsay did far more for RL than people will ever acknowledge. I daresay it is a human trait to criticise more readily than praise.

Workington? I presume we are talking about the Peter Walsh era? With all due respect how on earth can you say that a RFL employee determined where players went or did not go. Players decide for themselves where they will sign and nobody but them / their agent dictates their destination. Of course you will have been privy to all the discussions taking place and have it on record that such dastardly deeds took place. :O This being the same far sighted club that IIRC pushed Walsh out instead of backing a quality coach to the hilt.

Plenty Cumbrians come to Wigan season after season because they love RL and they want to watch high quality RL / the best player in a working class RL community akin to their own. I daresay you stay at hoome with your Maurice Lindsay voodoo doll.

It didnt matter who fell by the wayside, funnily enough, Wigan didn't suffer in the long term.

Just because he was the face of Skys input, doesn't mean he did well, he nearly killed the game at semi-pro level, and screwed multiple teams over.

As an example, Rugby Union wanted to 'revolutionise' their sport, they got the proper people in, the FA wanted to 'revolutionise' the Football League, so formed the Premier League, the RFL get Maurice Lindsay, says it all about the RFL in the 90's, cock-eyed and half-arsed.

Who fell by the wayside and why?