Widnes Vikings

Yeah, well done Widnes for getting over the 2500 attendance threshold for SL without cheating (4500 to take Fax over in their last home game V. Batley, less than 2000 in their elimination playoff v. the Eagles) .

Well done for bringing so many young players through to the first team (how many have Featherstone, in a winning side ? Manning, Smeaton, Hardacre . . shall I carry on ?).

Well done for losing the NRC final against a team with far fewer resources, and well done for finishing fifth in the league before getting hammered (to nil) by a coachless Barrow.

I'm astonished how Rover's didn't get it, and how achievments on the field seem to have been ignored.

But I do (seriously) congratulate Widnes for jumping through the right hoops and getting the almost inevitable SL licence.

Edited by GoldDog

Yeah, well done Widnes for getting over the 2500 attendance threshold for SL without cheating (4500 to take Fax over in their last home game V. Batley, less than 2000 in their elimination playoff v. the Eagles) .

Well done for bringing so many young players through to the first team (how many have Featherstone, in a winning side ? Manning, Smeaton, Hardacre . . shall I carry on ?).

Well done for losing the NRC final against a team with far fewer resources, and well done for finishing fifth in the league before getting hammered (to nil) by a coachless Barrow.

I'm astonished how Rover's didn't get it, and how achievments on the field seem to have been ignored.

But I do (seriously) congratulate Widnes for jumping through the right hoops and getting the almost inevitable SL licence.

:D It was club of the year though which suggests more than just what goes on, one the field.

Some of the stuff written about Widnes by some of the Championship fans is getting laughable now.

you forgot to add well done widnes for trading in profit with a 2.5 million pounds turnover.

well done widnes for winning the under 18's academy league despite being the only non super league club to actually run an academy set up

well done widnes for being the best supported team in the championship

well done widnes for enduring an horrific injury crisis and at times featuring as many as 10 youngsters in the 1st team.

well done widnes for having a fully covered modern all seater stadium

well done widnes for already meeting the on field criteria for a license application

NEED I GO ON???????????????

Edited by Viking Warrior

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

you forgot to add well done widnes for trading in profit with a 2.5 million pounds turnover.

well done widnes for winning the under 18's academy league despite being the only non super league club to actually run an academy set up

well done widnes for enduring an horrific injury crisis and at times featuring as many as 10 youngsters in the 1st team.

well done widnes for already meeting the on field criteria for a license application

You normally do, so why stop this time ;)

Don't encourage him! :D

i don't need any encouragement to fight the chemics corner chris!!!!

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

No, I will allow you to stop.

My congratulstions were sincere, so there's no need to get eggy.

Why Pie ??? Do please tell all.

they can't comprehend why widnes won the award because of the excellent way in which the club is run including the community work being done...................they are from yorkshire after all!! :happy:

Blows keyboard warriors Yorkshire argument though :D

why? no lancastrian worth his salt will admit to wigan being in lancashire.................unless they are playing a yawkshure club of course. B)

Why Pie ??? Do please tell all.

It is my view that Widnes having ticked the boxes and secured a franchise have taken a very selfish (but sensible) strategy of trying to develop potential SL players for their future. As a result playing standards at Widnes have dropped in 2010 and will perhaps continue to do so in 2011 with the release of club stalwarts such as Mark Smith. I like Widnes and will be overoyed when they join the SL. Their first team has ex Wigan players. Their successful U18s has numerous Wigan youngsters so I always look out to see how they are progressing. So, On field I think in 2010 Widnes have a big minus against them.

I still believe playing standards are very important

On that front Batley in 2010 was a fairytale and deserves more recognition that it has been given. Likewise Featherstone have been head and shoulders above the rest of the Championship and are doing so with some outstanding young home grown talent. Success and home grown player development should be trumped up at every opportunity by the RFL and hence Featherstone deserve more credit. I daresay Featherston do a lot community wise to not far from what Widnes offer.

Wigan is historical Lancashire BTW. Well part of it was. So Wigan is Lancashire.

they can't comprehend why widnes won the award because of the excellent way in which the club is run including the community work being done...................they are from yorkshire after all!! :happy:

We all know why Widnes won the award lets not pretend, no one is fooled, it is because when they are awarded the licence it wont look as bad for the RFL, they can say they gave it to the club of the year, please stop all the bull shiiiite everyone knows why

It is my view that Widnes having ticked the boxes and secured a franchise have taken a very selfish (but sensible) strategy of trying to develop potential SL players for their future. As a result playing standards at Widnes have dropped in 2010 and will perhaps continue to do so in 2011 with the release of club stalwarts such as Mark Smith. I like Widnes and will be overoyed when they join the SL. Their first team has ex Wigan players. Their successful U18s has numerous Wigan youngsters so I always look out to see how they are progressing. So, On field I think in 2010 Widnes have a big minus against them.

I still believe playing standards are very important

On that front Batley in 2010 was a fairytale and deserves more recognition that it has been given. Likewise Featherstone have been head and shoulders above the rest of the Championship and are doing so with some outstanding young home grown talent. Success and home grown player development should be trumped up at every opportunity by the RFL and hence Featherstone deserve more credit. I daresay Featherston do a lot community wise to not far from what Widnes offer.

Wigan is historical Lancashire BTW. Well part of it was. So Wigan is Lancashire.

Widnes spent up to the cap. Playing standards haven't dropped for any other reason than being in an extremely competitive league with many clubs spending the same amount. If we all spend the same then inevitably some teams will be better than others despite any other outside influences such as crowds or finances.

I don't believe Widnes should have been given club of the year but then again I've no idea what they based it on or how much detail they went into.