Defunct Grounds

Trojan

With the imminent demise of Knowsley Road I was thinking about defunct grounds and how many I'd actually been on. I came up with:

Thrum Hall

Station Road

Crown Flatt

Tatters Field

Central Park

Victory Park

Parkside

Barley Mow

Elland Road Greyhound Stadium

Watersheddings

Hilton Park

Craven Park

Boulevard

Clarence Street

Wilderspool

I've never been to Fartown. I think Huddersfield had a period of playing at Leeds Road and I went there once but haven't counted it.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

11 for me outta that lovely little lot

Dont recall going to Parkside, Barley Mow, Elland Road Greyhound Stadium or Clarence St

Though off top of my head there was in Nottingham ive been to by a leisure centre

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.

He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.

And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

With the imminent demise of Knowsley Road I was thinking about defunct grounds and how many I'd actually been on. I came up with:

Thrum Hall

Station Road

Crown Flatt

Tatters Field

Central Park

Victory Park

Parkside

Barley Mow

Elland Road Greyhound Stadium

Watersheddings

Hilton Park

Craven Park

Boulevard

Clarence Street

Wilderspool

I've never been to Fartown. I think Huddersfield had a period of playing at Leeds Road and I went there once but haven't counted it.

Been to those except Parkside, Leeds Greyhounds but also , McClaren Field (Barley Mow I suppose), Gilford Park Carlisle, Fartown, Runcorn, Alt Park Huyton, Altrincham, Borough Park Blackpool, Nottingham Municipal, Prescot, Gigg Lane,`Alfreton -never got to Belle Vue, Knotty Ash though & maybe more (Scarboro being one)

Defunct RL grounds? (in so much as they no longer host RL) or Defunct Grounds (as in they now have houses/a B&Q on them)? Because At least Wilderspool is still there (or it was a month or so ago!)

Since they ceased to host games I've been to:

Lidcombe Oval

Pratten park

Birchgrove Oval

Wentworth Park

In the UK - all of the above (except the Barley Mow, which I assume isn't a mistaken Maclaren Field) - plus:

Doncaster Greyhound Stadium

Chiswick Poly Sports Centre

Barnet Copthall Stadium

Owlerton

Alt Park

St Helens Town FC

Prescott cables FC

Canal Street

Moor Lane (Salford City FC)

Belle View, (Doncaster Rovers FC)

Ashton Town FC

Brunton Park

Penrith FC

And don't forget the Athletic Grounds

IMAG0394_zpsvjvgze6q.jpg

Been to those except Parkside, Leeds Greyhounds but also , McClaren Field (Barley Mow I suppose), Gilford Park Carlisle, Fartown, Runcorn, Alt Park Huyton, Altrincham, Borough Park Blackpool, Nottingham Municipal, Prescot, Gigg Lane,`Alfreton -never got to Belle Vue, Knotty Ash though & maybe more (Scarboro being one)

Barley Mow and McClaren field were two completely different grounds although they were built side by side

Barley Mow and McClaren field were two completely different grounds although they were built side by side

McClaren Field was built on what I think was the training ground at the back of the Barley Mow (Cliff Spracklen would know). Fulham once played a few games at Wealdstone F.C. (now long built over) and spent an unhappy time at the Crystal Palace Athetics Stadium where you were so far from the pitch you might have been in the next county!

How about ones you've been to since they've demised?

I'll start off with...

Quay Meadow (You'll have to be a real RL geek to know this one)

You can still visit Fartown and watch rugby. St Josephs play there.

There's not much left there now of the old ground. A couple of turnstiles. The clock tower is still there down by the road. The old terracing is grassed over. It's a bit of a sad place really.

The old pavillion is now a Mosque I think.

There was an effort by the club to build a modern training facility there with a little stand and so on, but it fell through because the owner at the time (and former HRLFC chairman) has some kind of grudge against the club.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

With the imminent demise of Knowsley Road I was thinking about defunct grounds

I went to all the established RL grounds in the early seventies and often drop by places like Thrum Hall and the Athletics ground, wathersheddings etc when passing to remember the places and see how they are now built on and forgotten.

As for defunct grounds before then I sometimes go to the sites of older grounds if passing. It was a delight to see Broughton Rangers "The cliff" still there, and to pass Bradfords old grounds at Park Avenue and Birch Lane where albeit now only cricket some elements of the old rugby grounds remain.

The sites of grounds of clubs themselves defunct often are built on sometimes they remain as sports grounds. I can't remember which do and which don't, nor can I remember what some kind posters tell me is now sat on Liverpools Knotty Ash ground (the original Liverpool city;'s ground is apparently a Police athletic ground) and Wigan Highfields Tunstall Lane.

When passing near Huyton I tried and failed to find the old ground, and posters kindly gave me directions for next time. great stuff.......

Defunct RL grounds? (in so much as they no longer host RL) or Defunct Grounds (as in they now have houses/a B&Q on them)? Because At least Wilderspool is still there (or it was a month or so ago!)

Lidcombe Oval

Pratten park

Birchgrove Oval

Wentworth Park

In the UK - all of the above (except the Barley Mow, which I assume isn't a mistaken Maclaren Field) - plus:

Barnet Copthall Stadium

Owlerton

Alt Park

St Helens Town FC

Prescott cables FC

Canal Street

Ashton Town FC

Brunton Park

Penrith FC

Birchgrove and Wentworth Park have not hosted games in a very long time.

McClaren Field was built on what I think was the training ground at the back of the Barley Mow (Cliff Spracklen would know).

It was built on Mrs. McLaren's field gifted to the club (after she refused to sell it them for 30 years) which was at the back of the multi span main stand. At one point believe it or not the club planned a 50,000 capacity stadium.

I was there in 1968 when they sold out the ground against Leeds in a cup tie. The old daisy stand from the adjacent mow was erected on the Field - rather badly as it didn't cover the terraces at all!!!

Mr. Spracklen only knows what I taught him :lol: the closet Hunslet fan........

Only joking of course and Cliff of course got that blue placque on the Mow.

Staying on Bramley they started playing practice matches at the bottom of Pollard Lane. That is still a reccy ground I believe!!

I missed Gigg Lane :( How could I forget Newloves' 100th try for Fev :) and a sodding parking ticket when the steward assured me I'd be ok parked where I was :angry:

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Lidcombe Oval

Pratten park

Birchgrove Oval

Wentworth Park

Barnet Copthall Stadium

Owlerton

Alt Park

St Helens Town FC

Prescott cables FC

Canal Street

Ashton Town FC

Brunton Park

Penrith FC

I've been there. Well I've been to Morrisons ;)

Clement Attlee.

Does Naughton Park count as defunct then? I've been there but not to the new stadium, but I thought one was just a revamp of the other.

Clement Attlee.