• St Helens
    • Huddersfield

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Head says Saints, heart says Giants.

Realistically i would have to agree, although that's what i thought last week, I think we will have a decent crowd for this one, and if we should loose there are a couple of players who will get a great send of to their new clubs, Hodgson has been a class act for us, i wish him well, S Wild has been arguably our best all round signing for many many years, Salford are getting a top man and i wish him and Salford the very best next season,

As far as the match goes , pretty much the same as last week, all about the forwards winning some space for the halves.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

After the first half last week I thought that this was going to be a tight game with Huddersfield playing so well. However that 2nd half made me rethink and I am going to go or Saints by 20. There is alot of talk of Huddersfield being the form side after winning their last 7 SL games, but if you look, so have Saints.

So form wise they match.

There are also some bodies back on the field for Saints that we have not had all year long. In fact I think only Pryce is absent. A hit but not as badly hit as we have been for the rest of the year when we played Huddersfield twice and won.

It's been a strange year and by no means our best but still with all the injuries we have managed 2nd spot. My only reservation is if Potter throws an injured Eastmond or Lomax into the mix. That could really hurt us if our half backs don't perform as they are worried they may pick up a knock.

It's all about da bass

The squad is:

1. Paul Wellens, 2. Ade Gardner, 3. Matt Gidley, 4. Sia Soliola, 5. Francis Meli, 7. Kyle Eastmond, 9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. James Graham, 11. Tony Puletua, 12. Jon Wilkin, 13. Chris Flannery, 14. James Roby, 15. Bryn Hargreaves, 17. Paul Clough, 22. Andrew Dixon, 24. Jonny Lomax, 25. Jake Emmitt, 30. Jamie Foster, 34. Matty Smith.

Nathan Brown, Huddersfield

It's all about da bass

Not overly fussed who wins. Sadly/strangely, I don't dislike Saints anywhere near as much as I did a few years ago...

dare I go as far to admitting I even like St Helens? Oh dear me.

Nah, even though it makes me chuckle that there only seems to be old grannies in the crowd when sky visit Knowsley Road (just watch tomorrow night, I gaurantee about a dozen shots of biddies in the stand); the foul mouth feckers under the gantry who make the majority of noise are just too damn rapscallion for my liking.

Huddersfield for the Grand Final? Yeah, why not. They'll have to be good to win on Friday, therefore good enough to grace Old Trafford.

I reckon from the squad we've named the following will be the team.

1. Paul Wellens,

2. Ade Gardner, 3. Matt Gidley,

5. Francis Meli,30. Jamie Foster,

7. Kyle Eastmond, 34. Matty Smith.

15. Bryn Hargreaves,9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. James Graham,

11. Tony Puletua, 13. Chris Flannery,

14. James Roby,

17. Paul Clough, 24. Jonny Lomax, 4. Sia Soliola, 12. Jon Wilkin,

When Cunningham goes off, Roby will step up to hooker.

It's all about da bass

This is a fascinating game. Saints are good, but nowhere near as good as they were in their pomp (their 2006 combo would destroy this year's vintage). Like Wigan in the early years of our decline, they have enough to win most games but lack the X factor to cow all comers.

Which makes the Giants their worst nightmare. Had they had the courage to pick Wigan they would have been able to trade off emotion and local rivalry, the Giants are a settled team, with a strong sense of collective effort, and some world class talent in Hodgson, Fa'alogo and Brough on his day. Saints will either be relying on the biscuit bones twins or Smith to repeat his tricks without the benefit of surprise. Their pack is like Wire's in that their beef cake is susceptible to quick clever players hitting them up the middle.

Saints deserve to be favourites, but I would back the Giants to win this given their settled side, relaxed state of mind and sprinkling of class.

2nd to a brilliant Wigan team and getting to the semis would still be.a great achievement for the Glass Blowers. Well done to them.

I don't feel the same sense of doom about this game that I did about last weeks. I was convinced we'd get thrashed by Wire, which perhaps gives you an indication of my abilities as a pundit.

This week, I still don't think we'll win. A match too far for us, and a massively emotional game for Saints.

Saints by 16 or so.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Our recent run of wins has included wins away to Wire and Wigan, and before that we only lost by a point to Lees away...

Its going to be damn interestin, but the fact we are contenders with Saints, in the semi's for the Grand Final is pretty bloody awesome to someone who watched Huddersfield when a win away to Chorley was considered a good result!

Its going to be damn interestin, but the fact we are contenders with Saints, in the semi's for the Grand Final is pretty bloody awesome to someone who watched Huddersfield when a win away to Chorley was considered a good result!

Amen to that!

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Very reminiscent of when we went to Saints in 99 having beaten the Pies and Leeds away.

I think it'll be a game too far for Hudds but if Brough plays like he did last week who knows?

As other have said, Heart says Hudds, head says Saints

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

I would like to see the Giants pull this one off and I would feel more confident if their coach played Lunt in his natural position of hooker that anywhere but hooker. When he goes to acting halfback he gives them far more go forward than Robinson or Brough. In the Crusaders game Lunt never went to acting halfback once but everyone else had a go, Robinson, Brough, Gilmore, Faiumui.

Play Lunt at hooker with Brough at loose forward and Robinson at 7 and I'll go with the Giants.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

We're spoilt us lot aren't we? :)

Hope Hudds give a great account of themselves whatever happens. If they win, great stuff, I'll be rooting for them in the final, and there'll be a new name in the Grand Final listings.

If they lose, I may or may not cheer for Saints in the final. B)

Saints 28 Hudds 14. :(

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

This is a fascinating game. Saints are good, but nowhere near as good as they were in their pomp (their 2006 combo would destroy this year's vintage). Like Wigan in the early years of our decline, they have enough to win most games but lack the X factor to cow all comers.

Which makes the Giants their worst nightmare. Had they had the courage to pick Wigan they would have been able to trade off emotion and local rivalry, the Giants are a settled team, with a strong sense of collective effort, and some world class talent in Hodgson, Fa'alogo and Brough on his day. Saints will either be relying on the biscuit bones twins or Smith to repeat his tricks without the benefit of surprise. Their pack is like Wire's in that their beef cake is susceptible to quick clever players hitting them up the middle.

Saints deserve to be favourites, but I would back the Giants to win this given their settled side, relaxed state of mind and sprinkling of class.

2nd to a brilliant Wigan team and getting to the semis would still be.a great achievement for the Glass Blowers. Well done to them.

:D:D:D:D I dont mind biting at this !!

The last "Brilliant" Wigan team I remember had players such as Offiah,Edwards,Connolly Platt, Gregory and Robinson in it.

Prior to that it was Boston,Ashton,Sullivan and McTigue

These days your hopes rest on Young Sam and his ASBO brother. Saturday night will be a huge test of character for these modern day "Brilliants". Best of luck,at least you won't have Phil Bentham reffing.

I'm off up to KR now,ever so sad that I couldn't witness "Brilliance" for one last time.

Any sensible updates more than welcome thanks in advance.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.