Sad news - Terry Newton

ckn

I was lucky to see Tez play as a junior, he gave his all in every game he played. (he did). I was elated when he signed for Leeds, and gutted when he left. I cried when I was told, just as cried last year when Holmesy went. I cried again when Eddie, Carney & Barrie Mac spoke about him.

I hope you rest in peace Tez, my thoughts are with your family.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible news. I'm in total shock and thought it was just some sick joke when I first saw it on RLFans.

May I also say how disgusted I am with one of the moderators on that site who decided it would be appropriate to have a pop at Terry for the drugs issue, and when called up on it, decided to use their moderator powers to move it to it's own seperate thread to highlight it even further, and then delete the thread when turned on. Absolutely disgusted.

RIP Terry. You won't be remembered for the mistakes you made.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

A terrible shock and desperately sad news, especially as it seemed that he was succeeding at making something positive out of his ban, and contributing to the overall good of the sport with his honest appraisal of his own shortcomings.

Terry was doing more for the sport in the face of this adversity than most ever have, and to lose him at this time is too afwul for words.

Prior to his ban, Terry had cleaned up his game on the pitch, while still maintaining that 100% commitment, and I am sure that my fellow Saints fans have long since consigned any ill feeling to the history books, as Sean Long himself has. I have no doubt that all supporters will give Terry the full respect due to a top player on Saturday.

RIP Terry

Such a great loss to all, My sincere condolences to his partner, his daughters and parents. The Rugby League family will always be proud of you and your achievements.

"Those who never make mistakes lose a great many chances to learn something

Difficult to understand what is going through an individuals mind when they make a decision like this.

This is a desperately sad situation for Terry's family and i would like to offer my sincere condolences.

Stay strong and look out for one another.

Big hugs and kisses to Terry's children and i hope you grow up one day knowing what a fantastic servant to the game of rugby league your daddy was.

I never knew Terry and i never met him in person.

Makes me wonder why i'm in tears as i deliver this particular post.

Then i realise that these things should not really happen and i can't help thinking why?

GOD BLESS Terry and RIP young man.

May the rugby league community remember you for what you were.

A TRUE WARRIOR no quarter asked and no quarter given.

A dreadful shock. He was probably my pantomime villain of the game - like many Saints fans I felt he was obviously talented but veered towards cheap shots that lessened his overall game. Some of my feeling was undoubtedly due to how well he could perform against my team!

Like others, I had thought he was doing OK after the ban and adjusting to new life with his pub and work with the RFL. Tragically that clearly wasn't the case.

Re: the comments of this being "the coward's way out", please cease this. It's an easy thing to say this when life is good; however it's obvious that anyone who feels tormented enough to take their own life is not going to be thinking straight.

Rest in Peace, Terry. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

He did polarise opinions about himself didn't he ! Sign of quality that is.

Terry Newton a young man hurting, may you Rest in Peace and may your spirit and love of the game live long in the meory of all who saw you.

And so the future begins...

A dreadful shock. He was probably my pantomime villain of the game - like many Saints fans I felt he was obviously talented but veered towards cheap shots that lessened his overall game. Some of my feeling was undoubtedly due to how well he could perform against my team!

Like others, I had thought he was doing OK after the ban and adjusting to new life with his pub and work with the RFL. Tragically that clearly wasn't the case.

Re: the comments of this being "the coward's way out", please cease this. It's an easy thing to say this when life is good; however it's obvious that anyone who feels tormented enough to take their own life is not going to be thinking straight.

Rest in Peace, Terry. My deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.

here here , it is weighing heavily on my heart today. Life can some times seem too hard its not really needed to post about it been a cowards way out!

Always a dangerous player (sometimes in the wrong way, inadvertently or not), but he more than earned his pay at each club he played for. The Aussies didn't like playing him either, which is always a good sign.

But the way a life unravels like this is just awful.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I cried yesterday when I heard the news.

Taking one's life is not the coward's way it is simply the ONLY way he could see things at the time.

May you truly find the peace and comfort you need lad.

God rest your soul and I pray that somehow your family and friends can find some way to get through this so very very sad time.

I think all of us in the Rugby League Family are genuinely hurting at the waste of one so young.

My Granddad died last week, and without sounding heartless, Newton's death yesterday knocked me for 6 more than my relative.

For somebody so young to take their life like this is heartbreaking. Reading the newspaper on my lunch with a full page in the news section dedicated to him was surreal.

My Granddad was 80, and whilst he had suffered, he had lived a full life. Newton is younger than me.

My Granddad died last week, and without sounding heartless, Newton's death yesterday knocked me for 6 more than my relative.

For somebody so young to take their life like this is heartbreaking. Reading the newspaper on my lunch with a full page in the news section dedicated to him was surreal.

My Granddad was 80, and whilst he had suffered, he had lived a full life. Newton is younger than me.

Not heartless at all. My mother died last year and my dad in 1999, at ages 78 and 76 respectively. Although obviously upsetting, I found it relatively straight forward to come to terms with their passing. They were not old in today's terms, but neither did they die 'before their time' - in sporting terms I think of them both achieving hard-fought draws!

There is no such comfort in premature death and the loss of the young, whether that loss is through a road traffic accident, depression (as seems to be the case here) or some other illness. I cried uncontrollably at the death of my young nephew years ago, was deeply disturbed when my teenage son's mate died at the wheel of his car just a few weeks ago, and, similarly, can see nothing but tragedy in Terry's sad demise.

As with (I presume) many/most others on the site, I have thought about Terry all day. As others have said he was a fierce competitor on the field. I know that I was disappointed when he left Wigan.

He was also a player that I saw out and about quite a few times over the years and, the scariest thing is, the last time I saw him he was pushing a buggy. In fact I think that he was with his family the last couple of times that I saw him around town. For me, obviously, that's what makes it worst of all.

To echo the thoughts of the overwhelming majority of the posters in this thread, at sad times like this we get to see just what a huge family all the fans of TGG really are.

Rest in Peace Terry.