Why Kick to Halifax

ralph2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat here in Barrow watching the game this is exactly what my husband and I both commented on really couldnt understand the logic behind this one rather like giving someone the 1st bite of the cherry!!!!!!

[/quote

in efence i would have done exactly the same, they knock on from kick off, or their first set, it is a guaranteed win, no blame on stu

in efence i would have done exactly the same, they knock on from kick off, or their first set, it is a guaranteed win, no blame on stu

Sorry i think that is a strange statement....what percentage of kick off's are actually knocked on i would say less than 10%? In a golden point situation you want the ball and dont want to give it to the opposition or you run the risk of being punished as you were. There was opportunities to drop your own goal when 12 points up.

goal

I agree Rovers should have taken the chance of a drop goal when still in front but guess hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Same with decision to kick to Fax I bet %ages favour that option based on how many teams run the play 70 metres downfield to set up a drop goal chance, and as defence has been their strength I guess they were confident of forcing them to kick on 6 tackle. Also don't forget Fax's first set of 6 led to the drop goal attempt being chrged down from about 40 metres out and luckily they got another set of 6 to set up a better field position.

Thought there was nothing in the 2 sides but credit to Fax for coming back from 18 points down felt they then got a couple of slices of luck in last minute of normal time, firstly when from dropped forward pass Ref pulled play back when Zak was away, then when Field was adjudged to have knocked on when on another day the ref could have given us penalty for interference, ging us field position to set up drop goal attempt.

It has still been a fantastic season though and despite the final heartache I am sure there are thousands of proud flatcappers on their way home to drown their sorrows!

commiserations to Featherstone...

In my opinion the way halifax, and in particular ben black was playing in the last 20 minutes making yards at every play the ball, and playing with such confidence. whatever decision was made in the golden point would not have made any difference.

well done featherstone for a remarkable season.

anyone that plays sport knows that if you get a chance to win the game you take it you dont let the opposition have a sniff.to give fax the kick-off was a terrible decision i can only assume that dickens had a massive brain fart and never realised the consequences of his decision gutted for the lad great season for fev though

Got to say stayed on to support Fev and they were playing some great stuff, superb support can't have been many left at home BUT then the incident happened. Yes the Fax supporters were waving flags and gesturing but I could not believe it as a large number of your fans seemed to think it was an open invite to run on the pitch and try to assault the Fax fans, good job there were just about enough stewards and police to stop it breaking out wholesale, at thsi point I and a few other Knights fans who were supporting Fev left.

I f I wnat to see pitch battles and crwod violence I owudl go and be a football fan .

This type of behaviour has no place in Rugby League especially when live on Sky with potentially plenty of non-RL viewers watching our great game. If the individuals can be identified on TV then they should be banned sine die from all RL grounds.

Too much ale and plenty of you obviously can't handle it.

andypk.gif

Got to say stayed on to support Fev and they were playing some great stuff, superb support can't have been many left at home BUT then the incident happened. Yes the Fax supporters were waving flags and gesturing but I could not believe it as a large number of your fans seemed to think it was an open invite to run on the pitch and try to assault the Fax fans, good job there were just about enough stewards and police to stop it breaking out wholesale, at thsi point I and a few other Knights fans who were supporting Fev left.

I f I wnat to see pitch battles and crwod violence I owudl go and be a football fan .

This type of behaviour has no place in Rugby League especially when live on Sky with potentially plenty of non-RL viewers watching our great game. If the individuals can be identified on TV then they should be banned sine die from all RL grounds.

I was standing on the half way line looking down on the 'incidents'. An incredibly small minority reacted to the taunting they received, especially from the young Halifax 'fan' with the painted face who was constantly giving the "come on over here' gestures. I would totally agree that there is no room for 'pitched battles' in Rugby league but to react as you have and produce a posting like this, I feel, is totally over the top and strikes me as an easy way of scoring points in some way over another team.

< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >

I agree it didn't look good on TV either, although Fev fans not solely to blame as some Fax fans could be seen goading Rovers fans and for a few minutes nobody knew why the pitch appeared to have been invaded during the game. The suggestion about TV evidence should apply to both fans!

By the way saw the 2nd half of your game and thought York were fantastic and along with Hunslet will improve the division next season, well done!

Guys,

Sorry not over the top and not trying to score any points at all against any club, if you read my post again I did state that the Fax fans were gesturing and waving flags but still no excusee to barge through stewards( some of them female) and attack opposing fans - that is hooliganism in any language.

For me and a few others this was just not the sort of environment or atmosphere I want to stand in and watch rugby with my 14yr old daughter, I have not seen that sort of behaviour at an RL game in over 35 years of watching it, police with batons drawn ? do we really want that creeping into our game ? I think not.

As I say too much ale.

andypk.gif

After winning the toss, why did Stuart dickens choose to kick off, giving Halifax the first opportunity for a drop kick, Do you think he didnt know it was the golden point straight away?.

To be fair, in previous encounters this season, Makali Aizue and Frank Watene have been totally ineffectual in the last quarter of the game as they tired and Halifax have had difficulty clearing their own half to the end of each game. In these circumstances Rovers would usually have been recieving the ball with good ground to be made out of their own half.

Today Aizue and Frank obviously benefited more than most from the extended rest at half time and were immense in that last few minutes and on into extra time. It's easy to be wise after the event but on previous experience I think Stuart made the right choice.

< - Always remember, without experiencing the lows you don't really appreciate the highs - >

DIDNT SEE THE GOADING AT ALL THEN

DIDNT SEE THE GOADING AT ALL THEN

How you can get 18 points up and THEN NOT close the game down begs belief at PRO level

It simple good acedemy level stuff to close a game down and kill the opponents off

What is being taught on the training pitch??

Great season for Fev but sad that they let their heads go in later stages

Well done to the fans for all their commitment

1) Are your keyboard skills down to soft drinks then?

2) I go to football every week and have yet to see on field battles? In fact in 15 years I've never witnessed that at a game?

3) I thought considering the situation, we were lucky the situation didn't boil over. I hope you have put the equivalent post on the Halifax fans forum complaining and questioning why they were gesturing? Obviously fev fans shouldn't react but Halifax fans shouldn't have been provoking us to start with! (some provokers were women too!, only put this in brackets as you went to the effort of kindly pointing out some stewards were women).

4) You should be enjoying your win and not taking the time out to moan about unusual circumstances! Good luck next season!

At 22-16 in front of posts, why Finn didnt take a shot at dropgoal instead kicking it to the wing ill never know and this thread might not even be in existence

Its hard to take what happened, it was a good comeback but am undecided as to whether we threw it away or bottled it, at 22-4 we could see it and taste the victory, very disappointing but next year hopefully we can go on and win it

It will be interesting to see how fax go next year, half of that team tonight will be leaving or retiring

No need to put that the Rovers fans were awsome today and well behaved considering, we dont deserve that

It was lost well before the Golden point period, a ###### way of deciding a season's work by the way. We never had the opportunity to even touch the ball, apart from the charge down. That can't be right. What's wrong with two periods of extra time?

Uncharacteristic defensive mistakes cost us dearly. The Worrincey try and dropped balls from Holroyd kicks lost us the game.

But that's RL for you. We've been far and away the best side in the competition all season and it's been a year which all the players and coaching staff should be very proud of. Thank you each and every one of you.

Fellow Co-op Championship team, Hunslet are crowned Champions for finishing top of their division but we aren't. Could only happen in RL.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Stu Dickens will be feeling like ###### for making that decision but theres no way on earth he can be blamed, the blame clearly lies with every single player who failed to come out of the defensive line to nail Ben Black, Black was taking the mickey for the last 20 minutes but its as if your guys were told to hold the line firm, on 5 seperate occasions he ran all the way6 across your line looking for a gap and NO ONE came out to tackle him, eventually he was going to find a gap and he did.

After winning the toss, why did Stuart dickens choose to kick off, giving Halifax the first opportunity for a drop kick, Do you think he didnt know it was the golden point straight away?.

I'm pretty damn sure the decision to kick first wasn't made by Stu alone. DP and RS will have discussed it in the time they had. It was a fifty fifty call, get it right and we have first chance, get it wrong and they do.

We lost the game because we couldn't defend an 18 point lead, SIMPLE.

It's gone now, we close the door on last season.and open the door on next season.

"ONWARD AND UPWARD".

Edited by DMS

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

I'm pretty damn sure the decision to kick first wasn't made by Stu alone. DP and RS will have discussed it in the time they had. It was a fifty fifty call, get it right and we have first chance, get it wrong and they do.

We lost the game because we couldn't defend an 18 point lead, SIMPLE.

It's gone now, we close the door on last season.and open the door on next season.

"ONWARD AND UPWARD".

Correct Dave. If the had done a short kick off and got possession then there would be twice as many complaints because they would have been Jin drop goal territory right away.

As you say, giving up an 18 point lead is what lost it and not what happened in ET

We have lots to build on. A great season a d the next one could be even better.

Still loving this club

Anything I post is a personal opinion

Correct Dave. If the had done a short kick off and got possession then there would be twice as many complaints because they would have been Jin drop goal territory right away.

As you say, giving up an 18 point lead is what lost it and not what happened in ET

We have lots to build on. A great season a d the next one could be even better.

Still loving this club

It's worth noting that in todays LE, Calland says Fax would have kicked if they'd won the toss.

I agree with you Martin roll on 2011.

"FEVVED UP AND RARING TO GO"

I don't know whether it was the right decision or the wrong decision. I do know that we were never behind the whole game until it was too late to do anything about it, which in retrospect seems a bit unfair. Having said that, Fax looked the stronger team in the last 20 minutes of normal time. I'm terribly disappointed. I woke up this morning wondering why I felt miserable (even more miserable than ususal :dry: ) and then I remembered why. :(

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I think the reason we didn't go for a drop goal was because we were 18 points up, and looked like scoring more tries. We didn't learn the lesson from the game at the Shay this season. Fax came from a mile behind to gain a bonus point by playing with gay abandon. All their risky passes and off-loads stuck. It was pretty similar this time, also their heavyweight forwards had benefitted from a longer rest and Holroyds high kicks were creating havoc. When the score went to 22-10 Rovers might have tried a single pointer but Fax's try only 2 minutes later put paid to that. With a gap of only 6 points maybe we should have tried, but they were watching out for it by then.

What gets me about our approach to drop goals is that Briggs regularly makes 60 yards when dropping out from under his own sticks, so why doesn't he try one or two from 40 yards out where there is more space? If the ball went dead, a 20 metre tap wouldn't be so bad from the position we started from, and missed dop goal attempts can often create more pressure for the opposition, and sometimes lead to a try.

Congratulations to Fax however for such a gallant fightback. At least the RFL will be worried now. Rovers would have been east to turn down for a franchise, but Halifax now have a much stronger claim than darling Widnes!