Leeds Rhinos

Flattered to deceive this season.Time for changes me thinks!!!!!

Outs- Bailey,Delaney,Donald,Buderus,Kirke and coach Fester.

Ins- TWO good centres,a top class half back,an explosive prop forward,coach Brian Mc to add fire/steel but with an assistant who possesses astute tactical awareness.

Senior to be spelled in the second row.

Burrow to be spelled as an hooker.

Smith to take Donald's wing spot.

Blood a couple more youngsters as i am sure Brian Mc will.

One stella overseas signing would be good too.

The Leeds team is in need of a shake up.

Leeds finished fourth in the table after a very,very poor start,reached the challenge cup final and were eighty minutes away from old trafford.Not bad really is it,a minor blip.

Yep, however considering at the start of the season most people wouldn't look past Leeds clearing up (I personally never understood why) then it must ultimately be classed as a poor season, especially when you look at the fact that Warrington and Wigan both did them in the big games.

I do agree that there is no need for panic, and probably a few tweaks rather than mass changes.

Leeds finished fourth in the table after a very,very poor start,reached the challenge cup final and were eighty minutes away from old trafford.Not bad really is it,a minor blip.
Having read some of your previous posts on here i believe that you are a fair minded individual.

You and i both know that changes are required.

I agree that under the circumstances it has on paper ended up being a decent season but in reality has it really.

The flair and excitement has not quite been there.

Quote from my wife on Saturdays game "I want Wigan to win tonight because Leeds have not been a champion team this season".

Very difficult to argue with her.

Do you agree with some of my ins and outs and also the positional changes?

This is not a dig at Leeds by the way as i class them as my second team after my hometown club 'Wakey'.

I started work in Pudsey in 1987 until 1994 and i used to visit Headingley at 3.00 pm on Sunday's.

The days of E.T,Schoey,Ellery,the overweight captain Lee Crookes,Creasser,Bentley,Cliff Lyons etc.

Happy days.

Unfortunately all the players you mentioned that need to go have all signed contracts for next year.With the exception of Donald who has retired.

Senior has never been a second rower and never will be,he's big for a centre but too lightweight for a second row,his appearances in the pack this season seem to bear this out.

Bailey is a liability, if he cut out the "pantomime villain" act he could possibly regain the form that saw him gain GB honours.

Kirke is an very underrated player who gets through a ton of work and is one of the only Leeds forwards with genuine pace.

Time will tell with Delaney,a lot of Leeds fans(myself included)were not impressed with Donald in his first season at Leeds and he turned it around,I'm sure "Frogger" will do the same.

Leeds seem to have an extra edge to them when Buderus is on the pitch.I wouldn't replace him.

Bluey will be replaced at the end of next season anyway,I would imagine,Brian Mac will add that bit of steel that Leeds have lacked this season

Leeds have many youngsters coming through,players such as Clarkson,Pitts,Amor,Ambler,Bush,Watkins and Jones Bishop.I think the future is in good hands.

As for the days of E.T and co a lot of champagne rugby and not a lot of silverware to show for it,yes it coincided with the Wigan glory years but Leeds never really challenged them.

As I said in my previous post,given the start to the season,it hasn't been that bad winning three Grand Finals in a row is going to be difficult to be surpassed.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Having read some of your previous posts on here i believe that you are a fair minded individual.

You and i both know that changes are required.

I agree that under the circumstances it has on paper ended up being a decent season but in reality has it really.

The flair and excitement has not quite been there.

Quote from my wife on Saturdays game "I want Wigan to win tonight because Leeds have not been a champion team this season".

Very difficult to argue with her.

Do you agree with some of my ins and outs and also the positional changes?

This is not a dig at Leeds by the way as i class them as my second team after my hometown club 'Wakey'.

I started work in Pudsey in 1987 until 1994 and i used to visit Headingley at 3.00 pm on Sunday's.

The days of E.T,Schoey,Ellery,the overweight captain Lee Crookes,Creasser,Bentley,Cliff Lyons etc.

Happy days.

thats unusual a citisen from the merry city liking leeds

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

If I were a Leeds fan I'd want to see a big improvement from Delaney next year but I don't think you will, so a new centre or two will be needed soon. A new prop and a new halfbck would freshen things up a bit too. Having been disapointed this year will probably fire up the leeds players for next year, i often feel that a club that hasn't won somthing for a few years will be more hungry for it than a side thats been winning year after year. There are at least 10 clubs that would happily swap seasons with the rhinos.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

If I were a Leeds fan I'd want to see a big improvement from Delaney next year but I don't think you will, so a new centre or two will be needed soon. A new prop and a new halfback would freshen things up a bit too. Having been disappointed this year will probably fire up the leeds players for next year, i often feel that a club that hasn't won something for a few years will be more hungry for it than a side that's been winning year after year. There are at least 10 clubs that would happily swap seasons with the rhinos.
Fair comment.

The centres Senior and Delaney are both of the same mould i.e powerful but not creative enough.

Burrow is predictable and a ceative scrum half is required.

Fair comment.

The centres Senior and Delaney are both of the same mould i.e powerful but not creative enough.

Burrow is predictable and a ceative scrum half is required.

Burrow has lost a lot of confidence since the batterings he got against Manly and Melbourne in the WCC's.

I've got to admit Leeds did play better with Sinfield at 6 and Mcguire at 7.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Certainly a lot of the Rhinos' big game players are past their best and struggling to make the impact they once did - Buderus is the best example of that, but certainly Senior, Webb and even Peacock are on the way down.

Leeds really need to make sure that the youngsters are fully ready for the season after next, when all the above will be gone, so they'll need a fair bit of game time next year, which means that some new quality players are needed if they are to avoid another season similar to this one.

With Saints likely to struggle out of Widnes, we may look back at this season being the start of a period where Warrington and Wigan contest all the trophies.

I do agree that there is no need for panic, and probably a few tweaks rather than mass changes.

I'd agree with that, they face the challenge any great side faces in when to start making the changes to keep the average age of the squad down, very hard to balance and they are probably reaching the stage were they could do with some younger blood in but cutting anyone loose to free up a spot is a risk as they'll go to a rival and finish there career in style no doubt returning to haunt Leeds!

Burrow has lost a lot of confidence since the batterings he got against Manly and Melbourne in the WCC's.

Obviously I don't see him week in week out but I thought he was awsome in the 27-26 win at Wigan the other week, I counted at least 3 occasions when he took 3 drives in as the pack were flagging and nobody was putting there hands up to take the ball off him and his defence was pretty solid for a little fella. Always had a lot of time for Burrows though so maybe a touch of the rose tinted on my part.

Certainly a lot of the Rhinos' big game players are past their best and struggling to make the impact they once did - Buderus is the best example of that, but certainly Senior, Webb and even Peacock are on the way down.

Leeds really need to make sure that the youngsters are fully ready for the season after next, when all the above will be gone, so they'll need a fair bit of game time next year, which means that some new quality players are needed if they are to avoid another season similar to this one.

Think the 4 mentioned are on the way down - yes capable of some big performances but not consistent over season. And think need to shake up creativity department - Maguire seems to have had an excellent season not sure abbout Sinny and Burrows. Promote some kids - look foward to seeing Watkins, Bishop, McShane

Unfortunately all the players you mentioned that need to go have all signed contracts for next year.With the exception of Donald who has retired.

Senior has never been a second rower and never will be,he's big for a centre but too lightweight for a second row,his appearances in the pack this season seem to bear this out.

Bailey is a liability, if he cut out the "pantomime villain" act he could possibly regain the form that saw him gain GB honours.

Kirke is an very underrated player who gets through a ton of work and is one of the only Leeds forwards with genuine pace.

Time will tell with Delaney,a lot of Leeds fans(myself included)were not impressed with Donald in his first season at Leeds and he turned it around,I'm sure "Frogger" will do the same.

Leeds seem to have an extra edge to them when Buderus is on the pitch.I wouldn't replace him.

Bluey will be replaced at the end of next season anyway,I would imagine,Brian Mac will add that bit of steel that Leeds have lacked this season

Leeds have many youngsters coming through,players such as Clarkson,Pitts,Amor,Ambler,Bush,Watkins and Jones Bishop.I think the future is in good hands.

As for the days of E.T and co a lot of champagne rugby and not a lot of silverware to show for it,yes it coincided with the Wigan glory years but Leeds never really challenged them.

As I said in my previous post,given the start to the season,it hasn't been that bad winning three Grand Finals in a row is going to be difficult to be surpassed.

Don't underestimate the contribution made in all three GF victories by one Francis Meli.

I'm dreading Saturday !!

What was realistically expected of Delaney?

He was a run of the mill NRL Back.

His try per games for Leeds is far better than his previous NRL record.

If you were talking about Inglis, Gasnier, Lyon or Jennings or others you would be expecting an impact, not poor old Brett Delaney.

What gives you the impresion that Saints are likely to struggle? :huh:

Teams don't seem to do well playing out of temporary accommodation. Every game will be almost an away fixture, and I'd expect crowd numbers to be down as well. I think we may have already seen the resulting anticipated drop in income factored into next season's signings - Saints could really have done with signing a top player along the lines of Gidley/Lyon but this hasn't happened, for the 1st time in a long while.

And then there's the irreplaceable KC.

Also, it'll be impossible to replicate the Knowsley Road atmosphere - don't underestimate the contribution of the fans!

Teams don't seem to do well playing out of temporary accommodation. Every game will be almost an away fixture, and I'd expect crowd numbers to be down as well. I think we may have already seen the resulting anticipated drop in income factored into next season's signings - Saints could really have done with signing a top player along the lines of Gidley/Lyon but this hasn't happened, for the 1st time in a long while.

Also, it'll be impossible to replicate the Knowsley Road atmosphere - don't underestimate the contribution of the fans!

i seem to remember us (bradford) not losing a game at valley parade

That's an interesting take on it, KC is obviously an enormous loss and Saint's haven't looked nearly as good when he's been off the pitch this year but I think the recruitment for next year is the best it's been since 2006 when they signed Pryce, Meli and Cayless. Over the last few seasons they haven't recruited as heavily as many seem to believe they should have but Perry, Shenton and McCarthy-Scarsbrook are all very solid additions and as things stand what will presumably be the starting 17 for 2011 looks highly impressive. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

For mine, it's a simple enough question.

Do Leeds look stronger next year than this? I can't instantly see it myself, as a lot of their players are past their peak, and they are largely going in with the same squad. Of course it wouldn't take much to have them back at the top - renewed hunger, relief at not being shot at as champions every week, a couple fo emerging youngsters.

In contrast I can clearly see Wigan and Wire, who beat them in their 2 biggest domestic games - getting stronger.

As for Saints, it is hard to tell. KC is a force of nature for them rather than just a player and the players coming in aren't dominant characters. LMS and Perry strike me as more of the same with an already massive pack, and Shenton will not improve them given that Gidley is leaving. I happen to think Lomax is their best half and he could emerge as their version of Sam, which would make a massive difference, plus they will have the new coach effect which should bump them up.