Haliclowns

hooker9

Having a cig at the game is a big part of my enjoyment of my whole day, it only takes five minutes or so to have a quick ciggy, so a smoking hut in each corner of the ground for each stand wouldn't be too much of a problem. Even airports have gone back to having smoking areas now, stadiums like this are denying us of our legal rights in my opinion! We aren't bloody terrorists were just like to excercise our free choice to have a smoke when we want one. We cant smoke anywhere indoors anymore which is fine with me, but provision is aways made outside pubs, clubs and public centers etc. How can an open air stadium with plenty of wind access from each corner prevent people from excecising their legal rights, provision should be made, my rights are being affected and im being tempted to break the law!!!!! Why???

There was a guy near us smoking and we noticed the police watching him from the front where they were stood and gettng themselves sorted to burst up the stand and frog march him out! He was having a fag not causing trouble! Why treat someone like a criminal for having a fag!

I see the reason for not smoking on a plane, it's a confined area! you can't exactly nip outside for one so you prepare for that, it's common sense! a bit different to an open air stadium who can easilly make provision for smokers!

You want to see the farcical situation we have at Whitebank. In what is little more than a park pitch fenced off (beggars can't be choosers, it was the only ground we could get), as you walk into the ground, you are greeted with a sign that the stadium is a no smoking stadium. As you can smoke at Sedgley Park (Swinton's ground), within the boundaries of Bury MBC, I can only think that one of the conditions of the Oldham MBC giving us a ground safety licence is that the ground must be a non smoking arena. Smokers may also notice that, the worse or the tighter the game, the more you want a fag. Thank goodness for Uncle Joe's.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if this is on the right thread or not but here goes. i watched the Oldham v York game, and thoroughly enjoyed it. it set me up nicely for our game. our game was bubbling up nicely, Fax scoring first, then us hitting back. then the fire, when spectators were brought onto the pitch and the players asked to leave the pitch, that was my day ruined. i have no complaints about the result, Fax beat us fair and square, but the atmosphere had gone. i don't know what effect it had on the players, but, as i say, it ruined what was turning out to be a great game and a great day. i should have left that stadium buzzing, it was all just flat. i hope we get the chance to be involved in such an occasion again, i don't want to be left with the memory of that one.

My sentiments exactly Oldrover.

Im Fev and im proud

My sentiments exactly Oldrover.

I used to smoke. I gave it up 40 years ago because it was killing me. I also had the urge at football matches and started patting my pockets when it got exciting. I cured that by taking a bag of apples with me to the ground. Whenever I wanted a fag I ate an apple. In due course the drug did not have the gnawing of my guts. You don't really enjoy a cig. It is a drug that grabs your guts. I am against smoking in public places, remembering Hillsborough, fires can easily be caused. However if there was a place for the smokers to go then I can see no harm in that. Personally even a whiff now makes me sick because of the mental barrier I have put up against it.

i don't know if this is on the right thread or not but here goes. i watched the Oldham v York game, and thoroughly enjoyed it. it set me up nicely for our game. our game was bubbling up nicely, Fax scoring first, then us hitting back. then the fire, when spectators were brought onto the pitch and the players asked to leave the pitch, that was my day ruined. i have no complaints about the result, Fax beat us fair and square, but the atmosphere had gone. i don't know what effect it had on the players, but, as i say, it ruined what was turning out to be a great game and a great day. i should have left that stadium buzzing, it was all just flat. i hope we get the chance to be involved in such an occasion again, i don't want to be left with the memory of that one.

I couldn't agree more mate! It brought a nasty edge to procedings from then on and the focus of the game seemed lost!

Griff- I enjoy a smoke mate, thats why i wont give up. It's my free choice and while ever i'm able to sit back and relax with a pot of tea and a smoke then i'll keep on if i keep enjoying them. It relaxes me and creates staging posts in my day. I only smoke about ten roll ups a day anyhow but i don't half enjoy them and thats got to be good for you in a sense, as stress is the biggest killer they say!.

<br />I used to smoke. I gave it up 40 years ago because it was killing me. I also had the urge at football matches and started patting my pockets when it got exciting. I cured that by taking a bag of apples with me to the ground. Whenever I wanted a fag I ate an apple. In due course the drug did not have the gnawing of my guts. You don't really enjoy a cig. It is a drug that grabs your guts. I am against smoking in public places, remembering Hillsborough, fires can easily be caused. However if there was a place for the smokers to go then I can see no harm in that. Personally even a whiff now makes me sick because of the mental barrier I have put up against it.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

i take it they were granny smiths col.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

I think that the RFL were asking for trouble by not providing a smoking area or/and not allowing pass-outs from the stadium. I don't smoke, but if I did I don't think I could go without a ciggie for 6 hours or more if I wanted to watch all three games. With intervals between games of over half an hour pass outs should have been allowed, even if it meant stamping everyone's hand.

That aside, I don't see how anyone could think that the result wasn't affected by the 45 minute break? Every time we have played Fax this season we have blown them away in the second half. There was no second half on Sunday, just another first half.

I think that the RFL were asking for trouble by not providing a smoking area or/and not allowing pass-outs from the stadium. I don't smoke, but if I did I don't think I could go without a ciggie for 6 hours or more if I wanted to watch all three games. With intervals between games of over half an hour pass outs should have been allowed, even if it meant stamping everyone's hand.

That aside, I don't see how anyone could think that the result wasn't affected by the 45 minute break? Every time we have played Fax this season we have blown them away in the second half. There was no second half on Sunday, just another first half.

Eh? That doesn't make any sense.. If there was a half after the first half then that is 2 halves... i.e the 2nd half...

<br />Eh? That doesn't make any sense.. If there was a half after the first half then that is 2 halves... i.e the 2nd half...<br />
<br /><br /><br />

not very often you get a 40 minute rest after the first half tho.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

I wrote the original thread on this subject, I'm a none smoker but also an ex-coal miner going underground for shifts of 7 1/2 hours, Miners who did smoke took 2 cigs through the lamp room, 1 to smoke before going down and the other was hidden (above ground) ready for when they returned to the surface. I dread to think of the consequences if the haliclown was a workmate lighting up underground because of the length of time without his fix and hitting a gas pocket. !!!!!BOOM!!!!! - NO CHANCE OF AN EVACUATION THERE!

<br />True but it was the same for both sides... And lets be fair you blew us away in the opening 10 mins of the 2nd half..<br />
<br /><br /><br />

i agree. i was just explaining his point of view.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

We did blow them away in the second half and at 22-4 the game was won, but we continued to play the same way because we (me included) expected to build on that score. and we almost did. Maybe that's the lesson in these critical games, secure the result first by a drop goal or two then re-open the play.

We did blow them away in the second half and at 22-4 the game was won, but we continued to play the same way because we (me included) expected to build on that score. and we almost did. Maybe that's the lesson in these critical games, secure the result first by a drop goal or two then re-open the play.

Barrie McDermott said 'you only need to win the game once', we should have gone for the 1pt and just drill the ball dead every time.

Cummins Out.

I wrote the original thread on this subject, I'm a none smoker but also an ex-coal miner going underground for shifts of 7 1/2 hours, Miners who did smoke took 2 cigs through the lamp room, 1 to smoke before going down and the other was hidden (above ground) ready for when they returned to the surface. I dread to think of the consequences if the haliclown was a workmate lighting up underground because of the length of time without his fix and hitting a gas pocket. !!!!!BOOM!!!!! - NO CHANCE OF AN EVACUATION THERE!

Exactly my point as a non smoker. Surely they can last a couple of hours without a fag.

By the way, it is pure conjecture (definition: . Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork) to infer it was a Halifax supporter. There were supporters of other clubs in the stand and people who work at the HJ under the stand. It is not within the realms of fantasy to think that it could have been someone else?????

Exactly my point as a non smoker. Surely they can last a couple of hours without a fag.

By the way, it is pure conjecture (definition: . Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork. A statement, opinion, or conclusion based on guesswork) to infer it was a Halifax supporter. There were supporters of other clubs in the stand and people who work at the HJ under the stand. It is not within the realms of fantasy to think that it could have been someone else?????

My dad was a heavy smoker (pipe), he was aslso a miner. In the old days miners took Gallaghers Black Twist down the mine with them. Then when they wanted a nicotine fix they chewed it. Is this the solution for smokers? Take a wad of rolled tobacco with you and enjoy a good chew. No problems!

My dad was a heavy smoker (pipe), he was aslso a miner. In the old days miners took Gallaghers Black Twist down the mine with them. Then when they wanted a nicotine fix they chewed it. Is this the solution for smokers? Take a wad of rolled tobacco with you and enjoy a good chew. No problems!

Whats the law on these?

http://www.prlog.org/10732496-smokeless-ci...revolution.html

Anyone know?

Cummins Out.

my son was using these on sunday. a female steward thought he was smoking and came to have a word with him, when he explained what it was, she said ok carry on. he got his nicotine fix, and no harm done. (only to his health of course).

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

I don't beleive some of the rubbish being talked about smoking on here, im thinking by none smokers! I like a smoke at a rugby match! I rarely take a dump at one but there is plenty of provision made incase I want one!! I don't want an apple or a chew of bakky, just a bloody fag- "BECASE I ENJOY ONE WHILST WATCHING A GAME"! So please stop telling me what to do im over 18 by a long way and It's my free choice, I pay tax on them so i have the right to excercise my free choice and expect provision to be made to allow me to do so in a safe manner!

If it means letting me out of the ground and back in then fine! but that option isn't even available! It's ridiculous in an allegedly free country just to be told you can't smoke for the next few hours and thats it. That for me should be illegal.

I don't beleive some of the rubbish being talked about smoking on here, im thinking by none smokers! I like a smoke at a rugby match! I rarely take a dump at one but there is plenty of provision made incase I want one!! I don't want an apple or a chew of bakky, just a bloody fag- "BECASE I ENJOY ONE WHILST WATCHING A GAME"! So please stop telling me what to do im over 18 by a long way and It's my free choice, I pay tax on them so i have the right to excercise my free choice and expect provision to be made to allow me to do so in a safe manner!

If it means letting me out of the ground and back in then fine! but that option isn't even available! It's ridiculous in an allegedly free country just to be told you can't smoke for the next few hours and thats it. That for me should be illegal.

Whow!! Mick's really smoking!

I am in full agreement with not being able to somoke freely in public places Colin, it's not fair on the people in the vicinity who don't smoke! But all im trying to point out is that provision should be made for those that do. It would have probably avoided the first half fire which disrupted the game as the person that started it wouldnt have been in the toilets stealing a sneaky fag they'd be in the smoking area if there had been one!

Not entirely

Well, I'd have to disagree there. The main man made some incredibly naive decisions and changes for a bloke who'd never policed a football match before.

However, this may be off topic, as I'm not sure whether he was a smoker.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"