Trent Robinson looming as Les Catalans great hope

I had assumed that being an assistant to Brian Smith would be a good apprenticeship for any future coach. But I did not realise that Trent Robinson has made his own personal contribution to the success of the NRL Grand Finalists the Sydney Roosters. In an article about Roosters hooker Jake Friend appeared the following passage:

Friend praised assistant coach Trent Robinson for shoring-up the Roosters tackling, which appeared to be a forgotten art earlier this year when they conceded 60 points against the Bulldogs in round three.

"Robbo has got us working as a team much better in defence," Friend said.

"We also do a lot of technique drills and wrestling after training.

"We knew we'd need tough defence to compete in the finals.

"We have a different plan for different teams each week, but in the end it all comes down to having a good attitude."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl...r-1225930289519

This is particularly welcome to the suffering Catalans fans, because the club's defensive performances have been shocking this year under departing coach Kevin Walters.

There will be plenty of attacking talent in the Catalans squad, with the running games of Greenshields, Bosc, and Farrar, the field kicking talents of Bosc and Dureau, and the strong muscled pack of forwards. But a strong defence is essential to win games, so Robinson's obvious talent in developing that realm of the game for the former NRL wooden spooners the Sydney Roosters augurs well for the current SL wooden spooners Les Catalans' prospects in 2011.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

It is up to the players, the stupid penalties is a critical area, ferriol and fakir need to control aggression levels.

Giving away tackle 4 and 5 on a set is critical.

To the roster seems alot more balanced Sa seems set to go back to nrl, so the top 17 does not look too bad.

A top 8 finish would be good, menzies is a good signing despite his age.

Robinson is a good coach will do good job.

top 17

Greensheilds, Duport, Baile, Farrar, Blanch, Dureau, Bosc

Mounis, Carlaw, Raguin, Fakir, Henderson, Ferriol.

Bench: Paea, Menzies, Baiteri, Gussiet.

Hoping Gigot and barthau make the step up next season.

Is kane bentley confrimed at toulouse next year as yet.

It is up to the players, the stupid penalties is a critical area, ferriol and fakir need to control aggression levels.

Giving away tackle 4 and 5 on a set is critical.

To the roster seems alot more balanced Sa seems set to go back to nrl, so the top 17 does not look too bad.

A top 8 finish would be good, menzies is a good signing despite his age.

Robinson is a good coach will do good job.

top 17

Greensheilds, Duport, Baile, Farrar, Blanch, Dureau, Bosc

Mounis, Carlaw, Raguin, Fakir, Henderson, Ferriol.

Bench: Paea, Menzies, Baiteri, Gussiet.

Hoping Gigot and barthau make the step up next season.

Is kane bentley confrimed at toulouse next year as yet.

Good side but i'd have Gossard before Baitieri, i've seen plenty of Baitieri and i'm not sure if he will be able to step up to this level.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Todd Carney was just on the Channel 9 NRL Footy Show Grand Final program, and he praised Trent Robinson for his improvement of the Sydney Roosters team's defensive performances.

So it is now pretty much confirmed. Trent Robinson has developed a good method for improving a team's defence.

With that improvement likely to show up in the Catalans Dragons performance this year, we can expect the Perpignan based club to jump off the bottom and leap high up the SL ladder in 2011. The only question is how high they will leap.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Think Catalans will be top 8 next year. I don't think we will see a Roosters style bottom to top in a year like in the NRL!

Catalans will have to turn Perpignan into a foretress again then win the odd few away games to get in the play offs, not that hard really.

I think Les Cats have made an inspired choice. Not only does he look as if he is an excellent coach (v similar reputation to MM), but he speaks French and knows the game and culture down there. He is tailor made. I like the signing of Blanch, as he strikes me as a consummate professional. I have a v soft spot for him after his fabulous Irish World Cup performances. Menzies is a brilliant signing as a player who can set an example off the pitch and lead the team around on it. He will enjoy being surrounded by higher quality players again.

Very excited to see how far he can take a wooden spoon team after taking the NRL one to tomorrow's GF.

I think Les Cats have made an inspired choice. Not only does he look as if he is an excellent coach (v similar reputation to MM), but he speaks French and knows the game and culture down there. He is tailor made. I like the signing of Blanch, as he strikes me as a consummate professional. I have a v soft spot for him after his fabulous Irish World Cup performances. Menzies is a brilliant signing as a player who can set an example off the pitch and lead the team around on it. He will enjoy being surrounded by higher quality players again.

Very excited to see how far he can take a wooden spoon team after taking the NRL one to tomorrow's GF.

I agree with all that.

It will be interesting to watch the Sydney Roosters' defensive patterns in the NRL Grand Final tomorrow. It will give us a preview of how Les Catalans will defend.

And remember that Steve Menzies is not only a great attacker. He is also a superb defender. Great signing.

_____

I agree with all that.

It will be interesting to watch the Sydney Roosters' defensive patterns in the NRL Grand Final tomorrow. It will give us a preview of how Les Catalans will defend.

And remember that Steve Menzies is not only a great attacker. He is also a superb defender. Great signing.

if roosters defense today was an indication of how you'll play next year then your destined to be cellar dwellers again ;)

if roosters defense today was an indication of how you'll play next year then your destined to be cellar dwellers again ;)

That is a false deduction.

St George Illawarra scored five tries. One was scored by Gasnier from a perfect field kick by Jamie Soward, after Brett Morris had passed infield while standing with both feet in touch, undetected by the touch judges.

Two more of the tries were scored in the second half because of poor decisions by the inexperienced 18 year old winger Joseph Leilua, who was caught out of position. Apart from the undeserved Gasniier try and those two individual mistakes by an 18 year old novice, for most of the game the Sydney Roosters defence was excellent.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

Trent Robinson interviewed on RLCM tv on his plans for Les Catalans

This man looks ready for the job. Ambitious plans for building the grass roots as well as coaching the SL team.

He also speaks well of the Toulouse bid for SL, which will no doubt appeal to many on here.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

A good interview, best of luck to they guy. He did well not to mention Walters.

That thought crossed my mind as well. He spoke well of what Mick Potter had done, but was diplomatic and decent enough not to mention Walters at all.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____