46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan
    • St Helens

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think weather will play a part in this game, if wet this will suit saints as they have a bigger pack where as a dry track would enable Wigan to throw the ball about on the wide OT pitch.

It pains me to say this as a Wigan fan but I think Saints have been unbelievable to reach the final considering their injury problems in the backs....a fantastic effort led by KC.

cant wait for the game, cant call it may the best team win.

Cant wait for Saturday (even tho were in the gods, but only place 7 of us could get tickets on tuesday), i think its too close to call just whoever turns up on the day but hopefully we can do it for tezza

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

Like the Challenge Cup Final, this could go absolutely any way, from a narrow victory to a complete rout to either side.

The only thing I'm sure of is that I can't wait! :)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Can I interest you fine ladies and gentlemen, err.... men and women, nope, inhabitants of this board in the Grand Stupid? The under-stupid-master of previous years has been tempted out of retirement to preside over this game's stupidity. :D

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I think if it's close Wigan will nab it. I'm expecting Saints to go at Wigan hard in the opening 20 minutes. If we get 2 scores ahead, that will be enough. Wigan will peg us back but we'll have enough of a cushion and occasionally score some back.

I'm going for Saints by 10.

If it's evens at half time I imagine that will be enough for wigan to seal it in the final 40 mins.

Wigan's defence was good at leeds but we can't forget, that the week before Hull KR took them on and got ahead in the game.

Also the week before, Leeds took it to Wigan and came out victors.

Get ontop of them at the start and the Wigan defense has to be sacrificed for more open attacking play.

It's all about da bass

Looks like Wigan start favourites but only by a few points.

Bookies probably got it about right.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Looks like Wigan start favourites but only by a few points.

Bookies probably got it about right.

If the game is open and flowing, i fancy Wigans backs will be to good, If it's a tight game amongst the forwards Saints will have the edge, Just hope it's a good one, they are two great sides so it should be, can't call it.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

Eastmond out Will this make a difference I wonder. He clearly wasn't fit against Huddersfield.

they've done fine without him leading upto the Huddersfield match, saturday will be no different. Smiths kicking game could be a blessing in disguise.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

I think the Eastmond decision is a blessing in disguise. Don't get me wrong a fully fit eastmond would be one of the first names on the team sheet. But this Eastmond has been out for 3 months, playing only matches in that time and each time leaving the field after injury in the first half.

Even if he was healthy and unijured, it does not mean he is at the pace and fitness needed for a GF. And as his speed of foot is his main attribute it would be another gamble. I don't think in a GF you can do what Saints did in the semi and carry a player.

All 17 have to be able to contribute.

Lomax will perform just fine. For me the half backs are not the worry, it's the meli conundrum. Outstanding in attack, lethal in defense (lethal for Saints).

I'd play him at centre in defence every time. But the question is, do you play gardner outside him who is also dodgy at times under the high ball. (but much better when men run at him).

If I had to pick the team I'd gamble and say yes.

This would be my pick

1. Paul Wellens,

2. Ade Gardner, 5. Francis Meli,

30. Jamie Foster, 3. Matt Gidley,

24. Jonny Lomax, 34. Matty Smith.

15. Bryn Hargreaves, 9. Keiron Cunningham, 10. James Graham,

4. Sia Soliola, 11. Tony Puletua,

13. Chris Flannery,

12. Jon Wilkin, 14. James Roby, 17. Paul Clough, 18. Matty Ashurst,

Although dixon and emitt could replace ashurst if he's not match fit.

It gives us a very strong pack for the opening of the game, with some speed to come on from the bench. Clough will be fine to interchange with Hargreaves and I think after the opening, when wilkin or ashurst comes on. Puletua would move up to make a 4th prop.

You could start with puletua on the bench, but Potter has not favoured doing that. I think there is enough rotation in the pack to be able to move people about. Especially if we need to defend solidly.

It's all about da bass

Also for an opening gambit, on Saints first set of 6 how about, 2nd tackle Graham runs the ball at Deacon, 3rd tackle Puletua runs ball at deacon, 4th tackle Soliola runs ball at deacon, 5th tackle a scoot from Cunningham at deacon.

Deacon looked like a weak link in the line during the Leeds match and I think a few big fella's taking it to him in the opening half will tired those old legs and either go through him or make his kicking for territory less effective.

Also we surely must take a leaf out of the Leeds tactics and when we are kicking from deep make sure Tomkins has to chase the ball on the ground not give him easy catches to run the ball back 20 meters.

I think Leeds had a good game plan but just lacked the ability on that day to take scores from their field position and possession.

It's all about da bass

I think that if Saints are to win they have dominate in the forwards. With the pack we have I think we're well capable of doing so.

The first twenty mins are not going to be for the faint-hearted. I want to see Soliola and Puluetua maximise their time on the pitch. Both have been immense in the last few games and I can see Saints benefitting not just on Saturday but into next season too,from their second row partnership.

We can always rely on James Graham and Roby to play their usual solid games,and I'm sure KC will be looking to give us Saints fans one last performance to remember him for.

I'm not over confident about winning on Saturday, but the bookies making Wigan favourites means nothing. The Saints/Wigan Murrayfield CC Final is proof enough of that. We managed to mess up the 2nd GF v Leeds when Brent Webb was injured, which made us hot favourites in that one too IIRC.

As Saturday draws ever closer the old stomach is starting to tighten and tension is starting to build. From my seat up in the gods of the North Stand N440-something or other (I'm taking binoculars) I will be shouting for my team, whether anyone will hear me from up there is anyone's guess.

Saints v Wigan the biggest derby in RL in a Grand Final. Pryceless !!

It may seam that I'm being a bit silly with the opening gambit. But I believe that you have to be able to do something different.

I think a short kickoff or an attempt to kick to touch, or even an immediate kick return are valid to try in the opening minutes. If you're going to play a grand final should you play percentages or try to push the play and take a few risks.

It's all about da bass

It may seam that I'm being a bit silly with the opening gambit. But I believe that you have to be able to do something different.

I think a short kickoff or an attempt to kick to touch, or even an immediate kick return are valid to try in the opening minutes. If you're going to play a grand final should you play percentages or try to push the play and take a few risks.

I think it's all about knowing when to take the risks and when to play the percentages, personally i wouldn't want to see my team take any huge risks in the first few sets as if they don't come off (a short kick off for instance) your under preasure from the off. Hard along the ground for touch where the ball can make a mug of somone is a good option, I'm amazed teams don't try it more often.

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

Going for St Helens to win this one, on the back of the Cunningham factor alone.

Now some may say it's ridiculous of myself to even suggest that Cunningham retiring from the game after a great playing career with St Helens is a big enough factor for St Helens to win the game.

But I just have a sneaking feeling that Mr Cunningham and St Helens will finish the season on a high come 19:45 on Saturday night.

Wigan are slight favourites with the bookies and after the season they've had, in winning the Floodlit 9's, finishing top and not to mention the clean sweep of awards at the Man Of Steel awards ceremony it's hard not to see why.

It's going to be a tough ask for St Helens to produce the goods (minus two of their main gamebreakers in Pryce and Eastmond) and stop a possible fourth consecutive Grand Final loss.

Wigan's defence last weekend at Headingley was a joy to watch, I've never seen anything as formiddable in all my years of watching the greatest game.

The way the scrambling defence closed those half gaps and shut out wave after wave of Leeds attacking play was fantastic and breathtaking.

One of the hardest Grand Finals to call IMO and the two Super League results don't give anything away.

I'll call a Wigan Warriors 18-22 St Helens result.

I think the Eastmond decision is a blessing in disguise. Don't get me wrong a fully fit eastmond would be one of the first names on the team sheet. But this Eastmond has been out for 3 months, playing only matches in that time and each time leaving the field after injury in the first half.

Even if he was healthy and unijured, it does not mean he is at the pace and fitness needed for a GF. And as his speed of foot is his main attribute it would be another gamble. I don't think in a GF you can do what Saints did in the semi and carry a player.

Couldn't agree more. Whilst he is a great talent, sometimes you just have to write off these players and accept they are not playing and move on. If he was in there, there would be an issue as to how long he would last.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago when Long was brought back for the final after injury and he was way off it?

I also agree with your comments about taking the game to Wigan early on and trying some daring stuff, although that's how I like the game to be played anyway!

Both teams are capable of winning a wrestle, but also both are capable of blowing the other away. This could be a brilliant final.