Golden Point

ov fev

Regardless of the result on sunday does any one else feel that the golden point is a silly way to finish any game of rugby league and doesn't really work.

Even golden goal has now been scrapped from all major football competitions, at least in football you have a chance of winning the ball back within seconds of the kick off and both teams have a fair chance of scoring. The kick off doesn't really effect the outcome in football, adding the fact that there are more ways than one to score points in rugby league maybe golden try would be more fair.

had halifax first drop goal attept gone over and not been charged down we would have lossed in their first set of tackles with no real chance of regaining possession.

my suggestion would be 10 mins extra time each way of normal play or golden try, only then followed by golden point as a last resort to settle game like penalties in football.

Regardless of the result on sunday does any one else feel that the golden point is a silly way to finish any game of rugby league and doesn't really work.

Even golden goal has now been scrapped from all major football competitions, at least in football you have a chance of winning the ball back within seconds of the kick off and both teams have a fair chance of scoring. The kick off doesn't really effect the outcome in football, adding the fact that there are more ways than one to score points in rugby league maybe golden try would be more fair.

had halifax first drop goal attept gone over and not been charged down we would have lossed in their first set of tackles with no real chance of regaining possession.

my suggestion would be 10 mins extra time each way of normal play or golden try, only then followed by golden point as a last resort to settle game like penalties in football.

I dont like the golden point same as i didn't like the golden goal in football.

I think 10 minutes extra time and then either a drop goal shoot out or penalty kick shoot out.

After 100 minutes of playing even the best kickers will find kicking goals tricky.

At least this way it is 5 attempts each and not game over as soon as someone scores

I think 10 minutes extra time and then either a drop goal shoot out or penalty kick shoot out.

After 100 minutes of playing even the best kickers will find kicking goals tricky.

At least this way it is 5 attempts each and not game over as soon as someone scores

I would like to know why we elected to kick off when we won the toss.

Whatever happened to the old fashioned rule called a replay; However we knew the rules at the beginning of this game so no complaints won by the side that had the upper hand at the end of a match that must have been a delight to the neutrals; To me Rovers are a champion side moulded by a champion coaching staff; Yes by all means lets do away with this crazy method; Revert to a replay to be played at a venue nearer the competing sides;

Whatever happened to the old fashioned rule called a replay; However we knew the rules at the beginning of this game so no complaints won by the side that had the upper hand at the end of a match that must have been a delight to the neutrals; To me Rovers are a champion side moulded by a champion coaching staff; Yes by all means lets do away with this crazy method; Revert to a replay to be played at a venue nearer the competing sides;

True we did know the rules but it is something that needs looking at as the present rule is no good in my opinion.

I agree. Surely it makes commercial sense as well as being the fairest way to decide the "championship".

If the game was replayed at Headingley, Odsal or Huddersfield you would surely get enough paying spectators to make a decent profit. IMO there are insufficient fixtures in the season anyway, so an extra game would be a bonus to the fans. There are no more games left so there wouldn't be a fixture clash or issues with tired players having to contest any further games. I remember going to the Hull - Widnes Challenge Cup Final replay at Elland Road in 1982 as a neutral and thought it was a great success.

The golden point is probably Sky's idea, because drama like this makes great television, even though the most important game of the year could end up being decided by the toss of a coin!

I agree. Surely it makes commercial sense as well as being the fairest way to decide the "championship".

If the game was replayed at Headingley, Odsal or Huddersfield you would surely get enough paying spectators to make a decent profit. IMO there are insufficient fixtures in the season anyway, so an extra game would be a bonus to the fans. There are no more games left so there wouldn't be a fixture clash or issues with tired players having to contest any further games. I remember going to the Hull - Widnes Challenge Cup Final replay at Elland Road in 1982 as a neutral and thought it was a great success.

The golden point is probably Sky's idea, because drama like this makes great television, even though the most important game of the year could end up being decided by the toss of a coin!

I think the golden point was an anti climax after a great game. Plus of course we were never behind until it was too late to do anything about it. Having said that, we were out on our feet and if we'd played an additional 10 mintues each way I reckon we'd still have lost. Unless of course the two big Fax forwards who were making all the inroads were also out on their feet. If ifs and ands etc.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I think the golden point was an anti climax after a great game. Plus of course we were never behind until it was too late to do anything about it. Having said that, we were out on our feet and if we'd played an additional 10 mintues each way I reckon we'd still have lost. Unless of course the two big Fax forwards who were making all the inroads were also out on their feet. If ifs and ands etc.

Too true the players were visibly emotionally tired in previos matches against Fax we physically out ran their forwards but Sundays interuptions helped the Fax forwards to stay fresh; I was disappointed but certainly had no grumbles with the result; It just sort of left you with an empty feeling because of the stupid golden point finish;

I am a Fax fan and even though we won I am not a fan of the golden point either. 10 Mins each way it should have been.

I know how you feel on the wrong side of the golden point we lost out to Cas in the CC a couple years back to the same rule. Although that day Cas announced over the tannoy that there would be 10 mins each way only for Sherwin to knock over a 40 metre effort and as it was sailing over they reversed their announcement to say about golden point. Anti-climax indeed!

The golden point is not suited to our game, not one single supporter on this forum or either fans after the game thought it was a good wat to end the season.

There is little chance of the RFL listening to us fans though so it looks like we will have to put up with the rule.

Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

I will add my two penneth worth, as a Fax fan, I think a "Golden Point" is an absolute anti climax. Fax have been on the back end of one, and I have seen a couple more games with it.

In all the games I have seen with a golden point, the game has not lasted more than a few minutes and have all been won by the team receiving the ball.

It just seems like a silly way to end, what has been 80 minutes of tough, hard fought rugby. I dont know if the answer is 10 minutes each way, as both teams were showing signs of being physically drained, nor do I know if a replay is the answer, although I certainly would turn up for the game. But something needs to be done to change this, as, in my opinion, it really doesnt work.

It doesn't always work like that. Souths won a game last month in the last minute of the extra 20. But, generally, it's just too easy to work your way into a decent drop goal scoring position in the first set.

I'd go for 2 x 10 minutes extra time - which would probably settle it -but if it didn't, some sort of try scoring based "shoot-out". Something like start on the halfway line and you've one play to score against, say three defenders. It needs tinkering with until you end up with a format which gives the player with the ball about a 70% chance of scoring.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I prefer to go for the golden point when we're 18 pts in front

I know it's hindsight, but if we'd put over the one pointer, we'd still have been in the lead when the hooter went.

I think the reasoning is that you put over the one pointer, they kick off long and you're under pressure in your 20 immediately. With 20/20 hindsight the drop goal would have won us the game, but who knows?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

10 mins golden try then if no outcome another 10 golde point

this to me would be fairer as its much more difficult to obviously score a try and would be more of a spectacle imo. Its usually ended too quickly and although great for us it seems daft way to end a great game in the 80 mins.

10 mins golden try then if no outcome another 10 golde point

this to me would be fairer as its much more difficult to obviously score a try and would be more of a spectacle imo. Its usually ended too quickly and although great for us it seems daft way to end a great game in the 80 mins.

Can't argue with that.

Clement Attlee.

I always believed that in play offs which were restricted for replays then something other than a Golden point should prevail. My thoughts were that in the event of a tie on 80 minutes then the prize money be shared equally, however, the championship trophy went to the side scoring more league points. Having said that Halifax won fair and square, I don't dispute that at all., but even the wife said that seems unfair when she asked me what happens if they draw ? It could have gone our way and this is just my feelings which you may or may not agree with and of course many wont.

To be a ROVER is a privilege not to be taken lightly, with fans like ours, we will always be honoured.

I too dont like the golden point,i never liked it in football and i dont like it in RL.BUT,with the scores level after 80 minuites,i thought the golden point gave us the best chance of winning the game,i think if it had been ten minuites each way,and the momentum Halifax had,they would have gone on to win easily.