Players who could/should have been great.

There are quite a few that spring to mind but I'll set the ball rolling:

Mick Shaw - Yes THAT Mick Shaw that kept Jimmy Lowes out of the Leeds side of the mid 90's and contributed to Lowes joining the Bulls. He was a good little player but what happened???

Mick Nanyn - I enjoy watching Nanyn in the lower leagues but he has never cut the mustard at SL level. Stong, good goal kicker he could have achieved more.

Adam Hughes - Another head scratcher but I know he has been ridiculed in the past on here but when ever I saw him he was scoring 80m tries for fun.

Last for now - Karle Hammond - Thought he had it all at one stage, balance, deceptive pace, good passer but didn't he retire at 29? What did happen to him?

Will throw a few more in and some from the Bulls too.

Edited by Mumby Magic

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Nigel Wright is the obvious one. Great talent, but biscuit legs.

There's been a few over the years who had the talent but not the attitude and never reached the heights they could have done. You'd have to include Lee Briers in that.

I always thought Simon Reynolds, the Huddersfield winger, could have achieved a lot more. Not sure what happened to him.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Martin Crompton - if he'd signed for a top club, I think he'd have gone on to much bigger things than his already admirable career.

Scott Quinnell - I thought that, at the point where he went back to Rugby Union, he was just beginning to play to his potential.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last for now - Karle Hammond - Thought he had it all at one stage, balance, deceptive pace, good passer but didn't he retire at 29? What did happen to him?

I think it was just a buildup of injuries.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Simon Haughton

Shaun Irwin

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Nigel Wright is the obvious one. Great talent, but biscuit legs.

Was the person I was gonna say, such a talented player but so unlucky with injuries. Also one from my own team was Stephen Holgate who moved to Wigan. Never quite hit the heights but was a superb player.

Mick Nanyn - I enjoy watching Nanyn in the lower leagues but he has never cut the mustard at SL level. Stong, good goal kicker he could have achieved more.

He had a hell of a boot on him. I remember a televised Challenge Cup match against Warrington, when he took a drop out under the posts. It landed closer to the opposition's tryline than some of the kickoffs in that match!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ronnie Duane(spelling) Warrington mid 80s. He was a big fella for a centre at that time and he earned his rhino nickname for good reason.

Neil Puckering Hull mid 80s. He was a suprise inclusion in the front row for Hull at Wembley at something like 19 yrs old, back in the day when teenagers rarely made 1st teams. He played very well and looked set for a big future but he just disappeard.

Mick Shaw - Yes THAT Mick Shaw that kept Jimmy Lowes out of the Leeds side of the mid 90's and contributed to Lowes joining the Bulls. He was a good little player but what happened???

Back to his amateur roots at Siddal. Still lightening quick off the mark at acting half back when he turns out.

Martin Pearson. Pace of the mark, reliable goal kicker. Looked like he'd be the next GB no 6 in 1995.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Lee Briers - and I mean that with no disrespect and the plaudits he is earning now should have been his for the last decade or more, I always thought he'd be the one to step up, especially after his game for Wales v Australia and give us that something special on the international stage.

Martin Crompton - if he'd signed for a top club, I think he'd have gone on to much bigger things than his already admirable career.
Didn't Crompton play for Warrington and Wigan? IIRC it was his injuries that was the issue.

Didn't Crompton play for Warrington and Wigan? IIRC it was his injuries that was the issue.

Warrington weren't a major force at the time. Wigan was just for one season (IIRC) - I don't know why he left. I remember him best as Oldham's 'super-sub', when he used to change games, coming off the bench.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tony Myler - The original Nigel Wright, he had everything:

Big defence, athleticism, decent speed, physicality, a step and superb hands.

Despite a superb career and some topperformances for GB his career was interupted and eventually cut short by injuries and he never reached his full potential

Warrington weren't a major force at the time. Wigan was just for one season (IIRC) - I don't know why he left. I remember him best as Oldham's 'super-sub', when he used to change games, coming off the bench.

Yeah, I think it was ultimately injuried that did him. Warrington had a half decent team at the time (late 80's) and had he reached his potential we could have been better. His career with us was interrupted and then he signed for Wigan, and I'm not sure whether he was always just third or fourth choice or whether he had further injuries.

Tony Myler - The original Nigel Wright, he had everything:

Big defence, athleticism, decent speed, physicality, a step and superb hands.

Despite a superb career and some topperformances for GB his career was interupted and eventually cut short by injuries and he never reached his full potential

Tony Myler was great. To even talk about Nigel Wright in the same breath is crazy.

Tony Myler had the best hands you could ever wish to see and, if it wasn't for his unluckiness with injuries he would have been an all time great.

His one spell in Australia with Balmain had the Aussies drooling and, if he'd been able to play more games, they would have been asking Wally who? when talking about great stand-offs.

Tony Myler is the God of stand-offs - and please don't anyone talk about Shaun Edwards or Garry Schofield as being fit to lace his boots.

Tony Myler was great. To even talk about Nigel Wright in the same breath is crazy.

Tony Myler had the best hands you could ever wish to see and, if it wasn't for his unluckiness with injuries he would have been an all time great.

His one spell in Australia with Balmain had the Aussies drooling and, if he'd been able to play more games, they would have been asking Wally who? when talking about great stand-offs.

Tony Myler is the God of stand-offs - and please don't anyone talk about Shaun Edwards or Garry Schofield as being fit to lace his boots.

You are joking?

He was good but not THAT good.

Edited by terrywebbisgod

Thank you for your valuable contribution.