is Wigan v St helens still the biggest game in Club Rugby?

I think it is (even as a Wire).

Wigan on the rise is good for the game, them winning everything is not.

Fans get complacent after success, look at Bradford.

You need that hunger as a fan to keep you going and Wigan and Wire have that at the moment, a loyal, hungry fanbase.

interesting little snippet, make of it what you will.

After the Saints v Hudersfield game, Lord Derby who was at the game said his family have only ever gave their name to two sporting events, one was a horse race, the other was the first time the St Helens played Wigan.

Was this the first ever Derby.

Nope.

Doubt there'll be many there on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

After the Saints v Hudersfield game, Lord Derby who was at the game said his family have only ever gave their name to two sporting events, one was a horse race, the other was the first time the St Helens played Wigan.

No more than they call a Canines bonce "Doghead" after you....

yep, fully agree.. without a doubt.

funnily in the latest issue of the sky sports magazine it gives its 'top ten' sports rivals. naturally RL is omitted.. but the hulk hogan/sgt. slaughter rivalry is in (phew!), and so is the gloucester/bath rivalry..

wigan/saints is the biggest game in team sports in the UK outside of football.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

yep, fully agree.. without a doubt.

funnily in the latest issue of the sky sports magazine it gives its 'top ten' sports rivals. naturally RL is omitted.. but the hulk hogan/sgt. slaughter rivalry is in (phew!), and so is the gloucester/bath rivalry..

wigan/saints is the biggest game in team sports in the UK outside of football.

Gloucester V Bath??

16K capacity at Gloucester, and they only got 3/4 of that for one of the world's biggest sporting rivalries last year.

It's becoming a joke, but not a very funny one.

Gloucester V Bath??

16K capacity at Gloucester, and they only got 3/4 of that for one of the world's biggest sporting rivalries last year.

It's becoming a joke, but not a very funny one.

That's not club rugby though, it's rugby union. Different sport innit.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Odd, is he forgetting about the French RL's Lord Derby Cup?

st helens new ground, wigan with a strong team, these clubs are only going to get stronger.

it will add to these derbies with wigan a much stronger team now

when i watched it wigan beating saints was a major upset

the hull derby is brilliant but its one big club, one small club

At the moment there is not much in Rovers and Saints, despite Saints having far more on the pitch success

Wigan V Saints is RL's second biggest rivalry after the Hul derby, but is not what I would call a derby because they have completely different accents - a bit like Liverpool and Man U.

Leeds V Bradford was never anywhere near these two. Afterall Leeds derby is with Hunslet/Bramley

I can see Widnes V Wire catching up next year with both having decent stadia - perhaps even Cru V Widnes :ph34r:

If the Grand Final was Wire v Wigan it would have sold out by now.

Maybe but its not so unlucky.... Wigans done all they can but just hope saints do sell out

" We have achieved what you can only dream of "

Follow me on Twitter @gaz_wigan

If the Grand Final was Wire v Wigan it would have sold out by now.

Yes, indeed! It's obvious all this success rolling in for Wire is reflected in a huge following. B) When you have won a dozen trophies it may start to dwindle. :happy:

For mine, Wigan/Saints is the biggest derby. And I'm not biased. :rolleyes:

Edited by Saint Billinge

The Wigan Saints games are a nationally known Derby and attract national interest. Most people outside of the heartlands don't even know there are two Hull clubs, they just know Eddie Waring sounded funny when he said Hull Kingston Rovers.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.