England Team To Face Cumbria

I'm going to the game on Sunday - my first trip to Whitehaven in fact. It's an interesting side, but I don't imagine too many of them will be heading down under for the 4 Nations.

When I was looking at the squad on teletext, my 12 year old son looked at the TV and the first thing he said was "Why does Paul Sykes always get picked? He's ######." Despite much thought I still can't give him an answer.

Do you have room in your car for me?

I can't get to the game as the only train of the day from Bradford doesn't arrive into Whitehaven until after 16:00 and then I can't get one back till Monday am :(

Nonsense.

Riley is a liability in defence.

He is nowhere near as good as Darrell Goulding.

Riley does a lot of good stuff, but I agree about the defence thing close to the line, which I have highlighted a few times on here. Not seen enough of Goulding to compare the two. It will be interesting to see how he goes at 1 on Sunday, as that is one thing which could go in his favour is his ability to play well at 1 which could be valuable on tour.

I work with a Bradford fan, Tony.

Our standard Monday morning conversation after a Paul Sykes game at number 6:

Terry: Morning Steve, good game yesterday ?

Tony: Huummpph. Not really.

Terry: Oh dear. How many time did Sykes throw the ball straight into touch ?

Tony: Just Three

Terry: Oh, er, is that all.

What devastating piece of information does Sykes hold on McNamara which our National Coach couldn't possibly allow to be released?

I can't get to the game as the only train of the day from Bradford doesn't arrive into Whitehaven until after 16:00 and then I can't get one back till Monday am :(

You can get train to Carlisle from Leeds about 08:30 via Preston - (not sure where you are based Leeds or Bradford) then a bus from Carlisle to Whitehaven.

On way back its Whitehaven to Carlisle by bus then Carlisle to Leeds by train via Manchester Piccadilly.

Have the trainline and the traveline (north east and cumbria) open at the same time and you can see the times - its a long day but can be done.

The Settle-Carlisle line must be closed on Sunday as its a bus from Skipton to Carlisle on the Sun morning.

Edited by shaun mc

You can get train to Carlisle from Leeds about 08:30 via Preston - (not sure where you are based Leeds or Bradford) then a bus from Carlisle to Whitehaven.

On way back its Whitehaven to Carlisle by bus then Carlisle to Leeds by train via Manchester Piccadilly.

Have the trainline and the traveline (north east and cumbria) open at the same time and you can see the times - its a long day but can be done.

The Settle-Carlisle line must be closed on Sunday as its a bus from Skipton to Carlisle on the Sun morning.

Shaun been there done that marra...looked at all the time tables...trains and buses wont get out of county guys to the game in time and as for return its a no go.

Maybe an over night stop in Ellenboro :D is needed.

I work with a Bradford fan, Tony.

Our standard Monday morning conversation after a Paul Sykes game at number 6:

Terry: Morning Steve, good game yesterday ?

Tony: Huummpph. Not really.

Terry: Oh dear. How many time did Sykes throw the ball straight into touch ?

Tony: Just Three

Terry: Oh, er, is that all.

What devastating piece of information does Sykes hold on McNamara which our National Coach couldn't possibly allow to be released?

It might seem like a bizarre statement, but Paul Cooke would be a better choice at stand-off for England than Mr.Sykes.

What is McNamara playing at???

Even given his utility (equally as average in all the backline positions he can play) value, he's nowhere near an international quality player.

It all smacks to me of lazy, lazy scouting and research from our national coach.

That's the problem though when you put someone in charge who has come straight from a club side.

Macnamara has chosen Sykes, Lynch and Langley from a team that could hardly win a game last season, and will probably take all 3 of them to Australia.

Lynch I can understand, as he should have played for his country many times before, but the other two are hopeless.

I predict we will be seeing some shocks in the next few days as Mr Mac leaves out some really good players to accommodate his Bulls mates.

Australia will be cacking themselves at the thought of fronting up against Sykes and Langley. :rolleyes:

That's the problem though when you put someone in charge who has come straight from a club side.

Macnamara has chosen Sykes, Lynch and Langley from a team that could hardly win a game last season, and will probably take all 3 of them to Australia.

Lynch I can understand, as he should have played for his country many times before, but the other two are hopeless.

I predict we will be seeing some shocks in the next few days as Mr Mac leaves out some really good players to accommodate his Bulls mates.

Australia will be cacking themselves at the thought of fronting up against Sykes and Langley. :rolleyes:

I'll start praying and ask our lord to have mercy for us ;)

Unfortunately it's not my car - I'm going with a mate. I used to go all over the place watching matches travelling by train, so I can understand your frustration. Whitehaven is a bit of an awkward place to get to at the best of times. If only they played more game on Saturday afternoons.

I don't see the point of playing a known quantity like Sykes at 6. Cooke would be a better choice - in the absence of one of the genuine contenders Mac should have gone for someone who may be an international further down the track from the Under 20s if need be.

On wingers, Fox, Briscoe and Hall strike me as our best, with Hodgson, Goulding, Riley and Cudjoe having their merits. Riley is at 1 I assume because Mac sees no alternatives there, and I am hard pressed to dispute that (though don't Trinity have a highly rated 1?). Who knows, the experiment may be an unqualified success.

I agree Ratchford should move. To his home town club.

This is a charity match - not an international. Let's have a bit of crcumspection, please!

Maybe, just maybe the team was selected from players who had quietly made themselves available, whilst a number of others, for whatever reason, might have regarded the end of their season to be the point from which they have some R&R, including whatever surgical recuperation many may have to undergo.

Wait until the 4 Nations before laying into SMc - at which point I may join in myself!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Shaun been there done that marra...looked at all the time tables...trains and buses wont get out of county guys to the game in time and as for return its a no go.

Maybe an over night stop in Ellenboro :D is needed.

08:25 train from Leeds, via Shipley, then change to a bus at Skipton, arrives Carlisle 11:52. Bit of a ball-ache journey as there is engineering work at the weekend:

From Settle-Carlisle website "Trains will start from/terminate at Skipton with connecting buses operating between Skipton and Shipley to transfer to trains to/from Leeds"

Bus from Carlisle - service 301 departs 12:01 - (a bit tight as its 6 mins walk from rail station) arrives Whitehaven Duke Street 13:55.

If thats a bit tight then there is an earlier train from Leeds 06:45 arriving 11:12

Return journey :

Bus departs Whitehaven Lowther Street 18:10 service 301

Arrives Carlisle 19:58

Train from Carlisle :

20:07 (again a bit tight) arrives Leeds 23:23 1 stop via Preston

Or 21:15 from Carlisle arrives Leeds 00:51 1 stop via Manc Picadilly

A long day but can be done

08:25 train from Leeds, via Shipley, then change to a bus at Skipton, arrives Carlisle 11:52. Bit of a ball-ache journey as there is engineering work at the weekend:

From Settle-Carlisle website "Trains will start from/terminate at Skipton with connecting buses operating between Skipton and Shipley to transfer to trains to/from Leeds"

Bus from Carlisle - service 301 departs 12:01 - (a bit tight as its 6 mins walk from rail station) arrives Whitehaven Duke Street 13:55.

If thats a bit tight then there is an earlier train from Leeds 06:45 arriving 11:12

Return journey :

Bus departs Whitehaven Lowther Street 18:10 service 301

Arrives Carlisle 19:58

Train from Carlisle :

20:07 (again a bit tight) arrives Leeds 23:23 1 stop via Preston

Or 21:15 from Carlisle arrives Leeds 00:51 1 stop via Manc Picadilly

A long day but can be done

What you could do is get a train to Penrith and a bus to Workington (http://www.stagecoachbus.com/GetUpload.ashx?Id=6980), then bus to whitehaven. Might be easier and quicker.

Whilst I understand any questions raised over players chosen for the 4Ns - I'm not bothered who plays in Cumbria and in what position - it's a charity game, it might be more fun for the crowd if they play out of position, and I hope the Cumbria team win

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Cumbria team for tomorrow is :-

1. Gary Broadbent (Barrow)

2. Ade Gardner (St Helens)

3. Jason Mossop (Workington)

4. Scott McAvoy (Whitehaven)

5. Will Sharp (Hull)

13. Rob Purdham (Harlequins)

7. Liam Campbell (Barrow)

8. Ewen Dowes (Hull)

9. Jack Pedley (Workington)

10. Kyle Amor (Leeds)

11. Brett McDermott (Barrow)

12. Spencer Miller (Whitehaven)

6. Oliver Wilkes (Harlequins)

Subs

14. Graeme Mattinson (Whitehaven)

15. Howard Hill (Whitehaven)

16. Gregg McNally (Huddersfield)

17. Kris Coward (Workington)

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I fail to see what MacNamara can possibly learn about how to beat OZ & NZ on their own patch by playing Riley at fullback and Sykes at stand-off. What paucity of talent we have in both positions.

I'm sure we could have come up with better than Sykes, but Riley has done very well for Wire at fb on many occasions, so that is hardly a shock, considering the top 4 teams were taken out of this squad.