Best Player To Never Produce For Eng/GB

Karl Pratt.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

While we are on the theme of best players/ unfulfilled potential thought it might be fun to start one on players who actually were superb for club but not so good for country,

my choices are leaning to keiron cunningham or sean long

Hard to choose Cunningham, he was always injured or chose not to play when Test matches came around against Australia. He played against Australia 5 times in a 12 year Test career.

karl pratt was hardly superb for club?

No, but by God, he was appalling for GB.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Paul Newlove

Keiran Cunnigham

Paul Sculthorpe

Sean Long

Leon Pryce

Kevin Sinfield

In fact, pretty much ever player for GB from a "big" club who knew no matter how badly they played they would never lose their spot in the team.

Paul Newlove

Keiran Cunnigham

Paul Sculthorpe

Sean Long

Leon Pryce

Kevin Sinfield

In fact, pretty much ever player for GB from a "big" club who knew no matter how badly they played they would never lose their spot in the team.

???

Paul Newlove - was a fine international player, Melbourne '92 anyone.

Sculthorpe usually delivered for GB was outstanding in the tri-nations in 04 or 05

I think Leon is hard done to in his international assessment I think hes been ok. him and rob burrow were outstanding against the kiwis in 07. dont forget most people were saying he was the best 6 in the world prior to the world cup.

Problem with english people is we prefer to moan and remember bad times.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

The thread was about players who never produced for their national team. Newlove had plenty of mediocre test performances, but he also had some very good ones, too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

???

Sculthorpe usually delivered for GB was outstanding in the tri-nations in 04 or 05

I think Leon is hard done to in his international assessment I think hes been ok. him and rob burrow were outstanding against the kiwis in 07. dont forget most people were saying he was the best 6 in the world prior to the world cup.

Problem with english people is we prefer to moan and remember bad times.

Who was saying that Stevo?

He was never even close to the best 6 in the World, based on what exactly?

I was responding to the previous poster hence the quotation.

I think Paul Newlove was a fine international player and the back line of Newlove Connolly offiah and Robinson must be one of the best weve ever had.

3736-mipm.gif

I was responding to the previous poster hence the quotation.

I think Paul Newlove was a fine international player and the back line of Newlove Connolly offiah and Robinson must be one of the best weve ever had.

Oh I misunderstood I thought you was saying Pryce was widely rated as the best 6 in the World.

I would not put too much credence into beating the Kiwi rabble that was beaten in 2007 it was hardly the best touring party and yet they lost two of the three Tests by only 6 points.

Edited by AndyCapp

The centre partnership of Gary Connolly & Paul Newlove had a very poor return for GB. In a combined total of 51 appearances they managed the grand total of 1 try between them (Connolly 31 Appearances 1 Try, Newlove 20 Appearances 0 Tries). Given the prolific record of Newlove in particular at club level you'd have to say that his record for GB was totally abysmal.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

The centre partnership of Gary Connolly & Paul Newlove had a very poor return for GB. In a combined total of 51 appearances they managed the grand total of 1 try between them (Connolly 31 Appearances 1 Try, Newlove 20 Appearances 0 Tries). Given the prolific record of Newlove in particular at club level you'd have to say that his record for GB was totally abysmal.

Where did you get those stats from Wikipedia?

Connolly was a recognised defensive Centre although he should have done some more in attack.

I think you will find your try figures on Newlove are a little wide of the mark.

Where did you get those stats from Wikipedia?

Connolly was a recognised defensive Centre although he should have done some more in attack.

I think you will find your try figures on Newlove are a little wide of the mark.

I think you'll find you're talking ###### as those are his official stats from the England RL website which shows players stats for both GB and England.

http://www.englandrl.co.uk/international_s...nSearch=newlove

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

I think you'll find you're talking ###### as those are his official stats from the England RL website which shows players stats for both GB and England.

http://www.englandrl.co.uk/international_s...nSearch=newlove

I did not want to get personal as you have done Derwent but I think you will find the site you quote is absolutely rubbish.

I have never seen a site so inaccurate as that one.

Have another look and I think you will find Newlove scored at around a try every second game as an average.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/...ve/summary.html

Paul Newlove

To view more info on a match, click the icon.

Date Year Year Date Team Opposition Number Pos Scoring

1 Oct 21st 1989 1989 Oct 21st L Great Britain 16 New Zealand 24 #15 Bench

2 Oct 28th 1989 1989 Oct 28th W Great Britain 26 New Zealand 6 #3 Centre

3 Nov 11th 1989 1989 Nov 11th W Great Britain 10 New Zealand 6 #3 Centre

4 Nov 9th 1991 1991 Nov 9th W Great Britain 56 Papua New Guinea 4 #2 Wing 1t

5 May 31st 1992 1992 May 31st W Great Britain 20 Papua New Guinea 14 #16 Bench

6 Jun 12th 1992 1992 Jun 12th L Great Britain 6 Australia 22 #2 Wing

7 Jun 26th 1992 1992 Jun 26th W Great Britain 33 Australia 10 #3 Centre 1t

8 Jul 3rd 1992 1992 Jul 3rd L Great Britain 10 Australia 16 #3 Centre

9 Jul 19th 1992 1992 Jul 19th W Great Britain 19 New Zealand 16 #14 Bench

10 Apr 2nd 1993 1993 Apr 2nd W Great Britain 72 France 6 #3 Centre 3t

11 Oct 16th 1993 1993 Oct 16th W Great Britain 17 New Zealand 0 #3 Centre

12 Oct 30th 1993 1993 Oct 30th W Great Britain 29 New Zealand 12 #3 Centre 1t

13 Nov 6th 1993 1993 Nov 6th W Great Britain 29 New Zealand 10 #3 Centre

14 Mar 20th 1994 1994 Mar 20th W Great Britain 12 France 4 #4 Centre 1t

15 Nov 5th 1994 1994 Nov 5th L Great Britain 8 Australia 38 #15 Bench 1t

16 Nov 20th 1994 1994 Nov 20th L Great Britain 4 Australia 23 #4 Centre

17 Oct 7th 1995 1995 Oct 7th W England 20 Australia 16 #4 Centre 1t

18 Oct 11th 1995 1995 Oct 11th W England 46 Fiji 0 #4 Centre 1t

19 Oct 21st 1995 1995 Oct 21st W England 25 Wales 10 #4 Centre 1t

20 Oct 28th 1995 1995 Oct 28th L England 8 Australia 16 #4 Centre 1t

21 Nov 1st 1997 1997 Nov 1st L Great Britain 14 Australia (SL) 38 #4 Centre

22 Nov 8th 1997 1997 Nov 8th W Great Britain 20 Australia (SL) 12 #4 Centre

23 Nov 16th 1997 1997 Nov 16th L Great Britain 20 Australia (SL) 37 #4 Centre

24 Oct 31st 1998 1998 Oct 31st L Great Britain 16 New Zealand 22 #4 Centre 1t

I may be wrong if I am let me know and I will apologise.

If its you that has no idea (I could say more) I await your response.

Andy.

Edited by AndyCapp

Regarding Newlove - I'll take the stats on the Official site rather than anything else...amd my memory of him is a player that simply never, ever replicated his club form on the international stage.

Sculthorpe. Meh, maybe that was one too far.

The problem is we had so many players good at club level who didnt perform at international level because they knew it didnt matter how poor they were, they would never be dropped

Edited by Ant

I'd like to give a mention to Andy Farrell. He always seemed to try too hard (probably because he was the captain), which usually meant trying to make all the tackles himself and leaving huge gaps in the defensive line as a result.

I can't fault his effort, but the performances were way below his club standatrd.

You are aware that its harder to play internationally than at club level???

Players will find it difficult to look as impressive when playing the Aussies as when playing Swinton.

Paul Newlove was a superb centre and delivered internationally. He may not have ripped it up every game but who does.

His performance v Australia in '92 was top class and he continued in that vein. Look how many tries his wingers scored as well as him.

One should never trust website stats. I fondly remember someone on here arguing blue murder about jamie rooneys age 'cos it sez so on the official SL website' didnt matter that I knew the kid like. :lol:

Paul Sculthorpe is arguably our best international performer of the last ten years.

Now if you wanna talk ######, how about Joynty, McGuire and Shaun Long. Cunningham as well never played well v australia. Radlinski was always a bit disappointing for me.

3736-mipm.gif