Long lost amateur clubs

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember an article, possibly by Harry Edgar in a mid 70's Open Rugby, saying certain amateur teams did themselves or the sport no favours with their team names. He singled out for particular attention a ( presumably Hull team ) Humber Manure. Can anybody confirm they existed ?

I seem to remember an article, possibly by Harry Edgar in a mid 70's Open Rugby, saying certain amateur teams did themselves or the sport no favours with their team names. He singled out for particular attention a ( presumably Hull team ) Humber Manure. Can anybody confirm they existed ?

Yes. They merged with Gateshead some time ago and now play at the KC.

They merged with Gateshead some time ago and now play at the KC.

Did anyone not laugh out loud at this one?

Bootle Rangers from just outside Liverpool competed in the North West Counties in the early years I think (mid seventies)

It was Kirkby Rangers, played in the late 70s - early 80s. They, like Huyton Hornets were a bit 'tasty', if you know what I mean. I remember both teams used to have virtually different squads for home & away matches because of the different police curfew restrictions applying to different team members. :ph34r:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Didn't Ellery Hanley start out at a club called Corpus Christi? What was that all about?

Going back one of most famous amateur clubs was Brookland Rovers from Maryport. They qualified for the CC on many occasions up to the fifties. Sadly, the club folded in the early 60s.

I played against Basingstoke Beasts in the mid-90s. They were a two season wonder!

WHo did you play for? Iw as at the Beasts for those 2 seasons

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

WHo did you play for? Iw as at the Beasts for those 2 seasons

East London.

I recall you came over to our place and played - and won - a 9s comp, beating Peckham in the final. Actor Brian Glover handed over the cup/medals. Must have been 94 or 95.

Most teams in York played on the knavesmire at some point as it had loads of pitches set out for rugby n football, don't think heworth ever did thou but York inl, York all blacks, now new earswick all blacks, rose n crown, waggon n horses, southlands n York acorn all did in the 70's 80's n early 90's before they either folded or set up there own clubs

Didn't Ellery Hanley start out at a club called Corpus Christi? What was that all about?

Going back one of most famous amateur clubs was Brookland Rovers from Maryport. They qualified for the CC on many occasions up to the fifties. Sadly, the club folded in the early 60s.

I played against Basingstoke Beasts in the mid-90s. They were a two season wonder!

corpus wasnt a club it was and still is a catholic school , but ur quite right , he started his career there

kelvin skerret also ran a pub , THE GOODMAN in hunslet a fav drinking hole for one , garry schofield , when he was with HULL FC , didnt MICK SHOEBOTTOM also have a pub in the hunslet area after his career was brought to an end , with a bit of thuggery on the field of play

, ,

• 10 months later...

B.R.K. Ran from the Gildersome Liberal club not Churwell. Also Drighlington's open age side was already running when B.R.K. folded but a lot of the players went on to play for Drig.

Weren't they only based there for their last few seasons?

Great thread !

Late 80s - 90s

I remember Kirkholt playing against Ace Amateurs (team of BARLA legend Steve Critchenson), Brassmoulders (Biggest side I ever saw) and Good Companions (Doncaster ?) in the BARLA National Cup.

We got beaten and beaten up by Sutton Oak who used to be Boilermakers in the Lancashire Cup !

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

Most teams in York played on the knavesmire at some point as it had loads of pitches set out for rugby n football, don't think heworth ever did thou but York inl, York all blacks, now new earswick all blacks, rose n crown, waggon n horses, southlands n York acorn all did in the 70's 80's n early 90's before they either folded or set up there own clubs

Kirkholt certainly played Acorn on the Racecourse in the late 80s (89 ?). It was an early BARLA National Cup round and we drew 2-2 !! In the replay, they came to our place and beat us something like 0-20.

When I used to get League Express I would always look out to see how Milnrow Tim Bobbins had got on. Think they were from Rochdale. Good Companions (Yorkshire), Pint and Pot (Hull), Toll Bar (Doncaster) and Ideal Isberg (Hull) were others I had a soft spot for.

Milnrow Tim Bobbin were a breakaway team formed from a nucleus of the Milnrow-Newhey team. Their base was the Tim Bobbin pub, named after local renaissance man Tim Bobbin.

Great thread !

Late 80s - 90s

I remember Kirkholt playing against Ace Amateurs (team of BARLA legend Steve Critchenson), Brassmoulders (Biggest side I ever saw) and Good Companions (Doncaster ?) in the BARLA National Cup.

We got beaten and beaten up by Sutton Oak who used to be Boilermakers in the Lancashire Cup !

In Critchenson and Letby, Ace had two wingers at one time that would have graced any professional team. The word at the time was that Critch had turned down several offers to turn pro. Not wanting to give up playing Sunday League soccer being one of the reasons apparently.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

NDLB (think that's the right initials) are now West Hull I believe. Think Ace Amateurs were Hull but can't remember if they became anyone

There was also BOCM from Hull I think. I remember going to watch one of the Hull teams knock out Batley at Mount Pleasant in the eighties I think. But I'm not sure which Hull team it was. I remember the referee appearing very biased towards the amateurs.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Although dying out, works teams were still important in the 80s/90s.

I remember playing against :-

BBA (Bradford) - later to become Cleckheaton

British Aerospace (Oldham)

Seddon Atkinson (Oldham) - who merged with Salem Hornets

Not long before that there were Ferranti at Oldham, David Brown Gears at Huddersfield and I'm sure there were more.

I also remember a team in St Helens called UGB (Glass !).

Although dying out, works teams were still important in the 80s/90s.

I remember playing against :-

BBA (Bradford) - later to become Cleckheaton

British Aerospace (Oldham)

Seddon Atkinson (Oldham) - who merged with Salem Hornets

Not long before that there were Ferranti at Oldham, David Brown Gears at Huddersfield and I'm sure there were more.

I also remember a team in St Helens called UGB (Glass !).

Depends how far back you want to go. Burtons Sports ran amateur RL sides in the sixties (Burtons the Tailors) As did John Barran (also mass tailors) Both in Leeds. I suppose Pilkington Recs are the classic works RL side.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Have started to collect material on the Bury ARLFC side of 1981-83/84 and then became Prestwich ARLFC lasting into the early 1990s. A bit of the material is here: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/news/once-upon-a-time-486320.html

interested in anything anyone remembers,

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

Archived