Todmorden

Black Lion (Luddenden foot)

Ovenden Cross

Salem Hornets

BBA/Cleckheaton

Kirkholt

Brighouse Celtic

Yew Tree (Leeds?)

I Was the first civilian to sign/play for Halifax Terriers, they were a territorial army side prior to that.

Kirkholt WMC folded in the early 2000s. They moved from the Pennine League to the NWCL for the 1997/98 season. In the last season before they folded, they merged with Spotland Rangers.

Todmorden folded a while ago now. Last time I played them, their ground was in Centre Vale Park in the town and they were based at Todmorden Cricket Club. Ex-Hornets, Wigan and Great Britain prop, Neil Cowie began his playing career at Tod.

Salem Hornets were based in the Salem area of Oldham - along Lees Road, going towards Saddleworth - and played at Breeze Hill School in the 1980's / 90s. They merged with Seddon Atkinsons (a works team) for a time.

BBA/Cleckheaton played at Whitcliffe Mount and played on pitches either side of the M62 near the Bradford/Cleckheaton junction.

I played for Kirkholt against Halifax Terriers - they used to be based at the Three (?) Pigeons pub.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

widnes st bedes, pendle lions or was it witches?, st helens hare and hounds, redhill castleford, lunts heath widnes, preston fulwood are all teams ive played in the past, all finished now i think!

Redhill got kicked out of the NCL for thuggery something like 2002 or 2003 and didn't last much longer.

When I used to get League Express I would always look out to see how Milnrow Tim Bobbins had got on. Think they were from Rochdale. Good Companions (Yorkshire), Pint and Pot (Hull), Toll Bar (Doncaster) and Ideal Isberg (Hull) were others I had a soft spot for.

They were from Milnrow - which is in the Rochdale borough, although it used to be 'independent'.

As far as I know yes. Up til at least the late 1920s non-league Lancashire clubs could enter the professional reserve grade and there was a Yorkshire Senior League as well (which was first teams) for clubs to step up to from the district leagues. When this stopped I don't know, I just can't find a record of it after that. Featherstone and Castleford joined from the Yorkshire Senior League and Wigan Highfield from the Lancashire Combination (i.e. reserve grade) all in the 1920s but would have thought it had long since gone by the 40s/50s.

In the first season of BARLA (1973-74) only the following playing leagues:

Leeds (Saturday and Sunday, the latter 11-a-side)

York (Saturday and Sunday, though only 2 clubs in the Saturday league!)

Castleford and Wakefield (Sunday)

Halifax & Huddersfield

Hull

Manchester

Barrow

Cumberland

Southern (3 clubs!)

http://www.totalrl.com/index.php?showtopic=193852

More on there and the solution to the problem

Juniors was just:

Hull Juniors (unsure which age)

Leeds Juniors (Under 19, under 17, under 16)

Manchester Under 17

Cumberland (Under 17s and Under 19s)

Barrow (Under 17s and 19s)

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that during the early days of BARLA the professional game tried to gain some kind of control of the amateur game back again. I seem to remember professional clubs organising 'supporters club' sides to play other, similar sides from the other clubs. Ex-Kirkholt might be able to confirm this, but I'm fairly sure Hornets started, or at least tried to start, such a side. The whole affair caused a lot of ill-feeling and helped to form the mistrust that existed between the two branches of the game.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure that during the early days of BARLA the professional game tried to gain some kind of control of the amateur game back again. I seem to remember professional clubs organising 'supporters club' sides to play other, similar sides from the other clubs. Ex-Kirkholt might be able to confirm this, but I'm fairly sure Hornets started, or at least tried to start, such a side. The whole affair caused a lot of ill-feeling and helped to form the mistrust that existed between the two branches of the game.

I've not heard of that but...

The Hornets Supporters Club team is probably what became the Colts (u19s) team.

I'm pretty sure that a Huddersfield Supporters Club side played in the Pennine League at one time. IIRC, Henderson Gill signed for Bradford from there.

Ill-will certainly returned when the RFL managed to entice the old Universities/Colleges organisation, UCARLA away from BARLA in the 90s.

In Critchenson and Letby, Ace had two wingers at one time that would have graced any professional team. The word at the time was that Critch had turned down several offers to turn pro. Not wanting to give up playing Sunday League soccer being one of the reasons apparently.

Thats true about Critch and you will be hard pressed to find a better bloke.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Yes in theory, linked to Bisons Floors originally I believe, at Stourton. But I think that like many teams based on "works" or companies, the link was loosened, and it became a club in its own right.

Most well known former Bisons player was Mick Appleyard, who captained the first GB BARLA Tour to the Pacific.

Like Brassmoulders the spirit of Bisons lingers in the Hunslet Warriors.

Bisons were a concrete company IIRC so Industrial floors. Mick Appleyard would help Hunslet out if they ended up desperate for players. One season we were very short for a trip to Donny and Mick brought a few mates quickly signed up.

IIRC (I'll use this a lot) Bisons and Garden Gate formed Hunslet Warriors??

In 1970 Hunslet players went on strike and a Leeds and district X111 represented us against Bramley (who?) Bisons, Stanningley, Middleton Arms, Oulton, Junction, Thorpe and Harehills labour club supplied players.

Cliff Furness played from Oulton where I first had a go at open age and found out how useless I was. Cliff played alongside Brian Aston, Mark's dad.

Early seventies there was the Leeds Sunday League that moved to 11 a side Rugby. There was a Cookridge club so Pottsy's lot weren't the first club up here!

East Leeds firerunners included Saville Green who beat you as you say, also Yew tree, and Waterloo & Black dog (I gave up reffing when I got this fixture alloacted to me by Mr. Josephson) BRK a top team and Kirkstall Boys/Rec were such as Maurice Bamford and John Holmes IIRC.

The lad who did open Rugby with Harry Edgar formed North Leeds Cowboys who played up Stonegate Road in the heart of RU country.....

Finally Hunslet Engine Company formed a team in the war. They played union but signed league players who weren't getting a game. Aubrey Casewell ran them and eventually he ran the Leeds and District ARL.

Nice thread this......

Yew tree, and Waterloo & Black dog

The Waterloo and Black Dog both got demolished in the last ten years or so as the builders' yards of that area got replaced by executive flats and the like. Had my first lock-in in the Waterloo a few years back when I was fifteen or so.

Has to be said that that area had a severe overcapacity of boozers after all the industry moved elsewhere, the pub crawl around that bit of East Leeds could have you paralytic on a walk of less than a mile.

This has reminded me of another old boozer from round there - the Prospect (became the Richmond I think and probably now shut down), which I know of cos my dad used to play for them, I assume in one of the Leeds leagues. Not sure if they were much good, but I've heard a few stories over the years. :cool:

In addition to the famous Unos Dabs who played down Parr, I have also heard of the Parr Recreation, Dentons Green, Sherdley Athletic, Westfield Amateurs, UGB and Eccleston Rovers teams from St Helens and slightly further afield Wigan Islanders, Pemberton and Leigh Shamrock.

I also believe that at one stage there was a group of clubs based on different departments in Pilkingtons Glass works (which was made up of at least seven factories) though I don't know if they played their games in works time or after work.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

I've not heard of that but...

The Hornets Supporters Club team is probably what became the Colts (u19s) team.

I'm pretty sure that a Huddersfield Supporters Club side played in the Pennine League at one time. IIRC, Henderson Gill signed for Bradford from there.

Ill-will certainly returned when the RFL managed to entice the old Universities/Colleges organisation, UCARLA away from BARLA in the 90s.

I seem to remember the Colts were around at the same time. I think the 'Supporters Clubs' were just that, ie made up of supporters, or at least local amateur players.

In addition to the famous Unos Dabs who played down Parr, I have also heard of the Parr Recreation, Dentons Green, Sherdley Athletic, Westfield Amateurs, UGB and Eccleston Rovers teams from St Helens and slightly further afield Wigan Islanders, Pemberton and Leigh Shamrock.

I also believe that at one stage there was a group of clubs based on different departments in Pilkingtons Glass works (which was made up of at least seven factories) though I don't know if they played their games in works time or after work.

Do you know the story behind the name?

Corpus Christi were a team based in the Halton Moor area of Leeds,the Club still exists but they don't run an RL team anymore.

The club is located next to Corpus Christi RC High School.

I remember Corpus Christi - i also remember Market District Boys Club - I played against their U17's - they were a very good side in those days.

We also played against Clayton, in the Dewsbury and Batley League there were

Thornhill - still going

Shaw Cross - still going, although when I played they ran 4/5 sides

Chickenley - long gone

Batley Supporters - not sure

Staincliffe - don't think they exist any more

Ossett Trinity _ my team - still going

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The Waterloo and Black Dog both got demolished in the last ten years or so as the builders' yards of that area got replaced by executive flats and the like. Had my first lock-in in the Waterloo a few years back when I was fifteen or so.

Has to be said that that area had a severe overcapacity of boozers after all the industry moved elsewhere, the pub crawl around that bit of East Leeds could have you paralytic on a walk of less than a mile.

This has reminded me of another old boozer from round there - the Prospect (became the Richmond I think and probably now shut down), which I know of cos my dad used to play for them, I assume in one of the Leeds leagues. Not sure if they were much good, but I've heard a few stories over the years. :cool:

The Richmond was seperate in it's own right. Fishermans Hut was on the crawl too.

Ellery Hanley went to the school of Corpus Christi,just left off york road where you turn right for Temple Newsam,there is a wmc club called corpus christi on the local estate,not quite sure if he played for them.

In Hull in the early sixties at under 17 there was,

East Hull

Craven Pak Juniors,

Boulevard Juniors,

Constable YC

Craven Street YC

Endike

Newland YC

Greatfield YC

Lambweth

At ope age there were

Craven Park Seniors (who played in red and white irregular hoops)

Hull Brewery

Northern Dairies

Jesmond Club

Reckitts (who celebrate their 100th anniversary)

BOCM

NDLB

Fenners

Embassy Club

Ideal Standard

Priestmans (for a while)

HKR Supporters Club

Sizers.

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

Three teams I have palyed for and/or been involved in the running of here on the West Lancashire coast:

Formby, 1979 - 1984

Hesketh, Banks & Tarleton, 1988 - 1995 (I think)

Southport, 1999 - 2006

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Geoff Lee - Yes Pilkingtons Glass company did have its own inter-deaprtmental league, but I think it was back in the 40's/50's. Ive got the Official Rugby League guide for 1963-64 and thought I saw it in there but can't find it in there now. Methven Hornet - I don't know where the name McEntee came from but you can find contacts for them in the BARLA hand books of the early 80's. Usain Bolt - Sutton Green Dragon were original members of the NWCL and I remember them for the best ever after match food! They became Sutton Smithy Manor (The club owned I believe by former Liverpool footballer Tommy Smith). They became West Sutton in 1994-95 and also appeared as West Sutton Labour Club and West Sutton Dragons before folding during the 2000-01 season through a lack of players after completing just 3 fixtures in NWCL division 1. Hare & Hounds (St. Helens) joined the NWCL division 3 in 1976-77 and later changed name to Parr Hare & Hounds before finally folding through a lack of players at the end of 2003-04 season. Bowes - North Wales crusaders lasted a few seasons in the NWCL. I have got one of their programmes from a game I played in. Crewe joined the NWCL division 6 along with Stoke on Trent for the 1991-92 season. They were both relegated to division 7 for 1992-93 where Crewe folded after completing only 4 fixtures. Stoke finihed 8th of 11 clubs but folded the following season after completing just 3 fixtures. Wrexham joined the NWCL division 6 in 1990-91 and lost all 24 games. The following season they folded after completing just 2 fixtures, losing them both at home to Stoke 4-40 and Sutton Rose Vale 0-50.

North Wales Coasters and Wrexham joined it. Must have been a dodgy source saying Telford All Blacks played NWCL although maybe was just juniors before they had the Shropshire Junior League (where Birmingham played their juniors). Do you know if Crewe played NWCL after the Mercian League folded or if that was the end of them? Or in fact if they played in it before they joined the Midlands and South West League (either 1989 or 1990)?

I believe North Wales Coasters had something to do with the father of Andy Duffy, the ex-Hornets and Mansfield second-rower who later coached Mayfield in the conference.

I could be wrong but I think his dad retired to North Wales and somehow got involved. On a few occasions when they were short o players, a few Mayfield lads turned out for them.

Crewe seem to have switched to the Mercian League in 1992-93 as late entrants and probably played in it 1993-94 but if they weren't NWCL in 1994-95 they'd folded.

1992-93 Mercian League was Birmingham, West Midlands Police, Crewe, Redditch Halcyon and Coventry Students. Wolverhampton Borough entered but dropped out midseason. I don't have the information on the second season of this short lived league.

Archived