Long lost amateur clubs

In the late 80s there was a pub team in Bradford called "New House At Home".

Link

The landlord was a bloke called Pete ...surname??? (memory's gone). He used to play prop for Doncaster and locally for Shipley.

I think the pub's team evolved into Horton, who then became Wibsey St George, then later merged with Bradford Sedbergh.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The landlord was a bloke called Pete ...surname??? (memory's gone). He used to play prop for Doncaster and locally for Shipley.

I think the pub's team evolved into Horton, who then became Wibsey St George, then later merged with Bradford Sedbergh.

I remember a "larger man" playing at prop who seemed to know what he was doing, as for the rest of 'em...

I think his son played as well.

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

I believe North Wales Coasters had something to do with the father of Andy Duffy, the ex-Hornets and Mansfield second-rower who later coached Mayfield in the conference.

I could be wrong but I think his dad retired to North Wales and somehow got involved. On a few occasions when they were short o players, a few Mayfield lads turned out for them.

Correct.

Bernard Duffy answered a news paper article I placed regarding setting up a club in Llandudno and me and the grand old fella ran the NW Coasters for a few years before I went back to Cumbria.

We had a sort of agreement with Mayfield due to Andys involvement at the club and some lads did turn out in pre season and sevens comps but never in league games.

I knew about South London applying for the inaugural BARLA National League in 1986 Bowes. Eccles were turned down as well. South London joined NWCL division 1 for 1987-88 playing Eccles, Irlam Hornets, Wigan St. Judes, Folly Lane, Sutton Oak, Leigh Miners Welfare 'A', Crown Springs, Langworthy and Woolston Rovers 'A'. They won 5 games and lost 13, finishing 9th with only Woolston below them. They only had the one season then went back to the London league. I don't have their results at the moment but will get them from old copies of the Warrington Guardian over the bext few months. I am still working on 1986-87 at the moment. They didn't enter the NWCL cup but in the Lancashire cup - Rd 1 Higginshaw A W14-2, Rd 2 Eccles A L 10-23. Some intersting results in BARLA National cup 87-88. Rd 1 Biddulph 6 Paddock (Huddersfield) 10, Fulham Travellers 28 Hare & Hounds (St. Helens) 11, Hornsey Lambs (London) 8 Salem Hornets (Oldham) 18, Horse & Farrier (Carlisle) 0 Hunslet Trafalgar 66, Corkickle (Whitehaven) 54 Carlisle Supporters Club 8, Dewsbury Moor 14 St. Marys College (London) 0, Fryston Crown 43 Bath 4, Haydock 10 Hemel Hempstead 21, Huyton Hornets 10 London Colonials 26, Rosiington Hornets (Doncaster) 26 Peckham 21, South London 24 Illingworth 11, Streatham Celtic 16 Stainland Stags 4, West london Institute 66 Leicester 0. Round 2 Hemel Hempstead 17 Bristol 2, Oldham St. Annes 51 Fulham Travellers 2,Spotland Rangers 10 South London 6, Stelrad 10 London Colonials 4, Waterhead 41 Streatham Celtic 0, West London Institute failed to play at West Hull. Round 3 Hemel Hempstead 8 Dalton (Barrow) 14.

What division were Biddulph for their few games and assume you meant they joined 87-88 if they joined with South London (makes sense as MASWARLA champions). Goes to show the pressure for a better league was always there for non heartland teams.

One name I remember, from the old Southern League (before it became the London League) was McEntee. Anyone have any info behind the name?

It's from McEntee High School, Walthamstow - the side came from its team in the London Schools RL back in the late 70s and early 80s. They were Hemel Hempstead's first ever opposition, beating them 38-0 (this courtesy of Hemel Rugby League and BroncOnIon on the Broncos forum on RLfans).

Anyone know what happened to Hornsey Lambs in London?

I've always had it in my mind that they were sponsored by some eastern-type restaurant, and that they'd taken their name from that backer in a similar way to London Skolars. In addition I could have sworn that they were called Hornsey Lams and, sure enough, there is a Lams West Malaysian restaurant in Hornsey.

Having googled the name, however, it does appear that the club was called the Lambs. Either the restaurant connection did exist but they thought the name Lambs was more apt for a rugby team... or my memory's ****ed.

ps The club does have a presence on Friends Reunited; if you're a member of that it may have details of what happened to them.

Myton Warriors previous incarnations were Lockwood Arms, Knaggs Electrical and Bay Horse.

On the subject of Hull works teams I remember playing against Shiphams.

We gave them a right pasting.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Anyone remember :-

Eightland Wells (Ravensthorpe ?)

Ha, never knew the Eightlands had a rugby team, that was my underage drinking haunt of choice for a year or so. Last I knew it changed into a crappy theme pub (Irnwrx), everyone stopped drinking there, and it shut. That was in the 90s though, anything could have happened since. It was overlooking Dewsbury station, they may well have played at Ravensthorpe.

moss bank and portico panthers from st helenswacko.gif

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

When i was growing up in Keighley in the 60s there were four teams,Keighley Albion,Worth Village(the Worth is the river that gave Keighley it s start as a mill town)and Silsden. I beieve these are all still going or recently amalgamated. However I remember a 4th team which was called NSF and i believe that was a works team for the National Switch Factory in Ingrow. I do not think they lasted too long but I think they played in white shirts with a blue band similar to the old Workington shirt.I played for Albion and the ground was where the roundabout just to the NW of the Cougars ground is now situated before they built the bridge.Quite a few lads went pro for Keighley and I think Terry Hollindrake, for many years Keighley s only GB player, originated at the club.

Salford Juniors (Juniors meaning amateurs, not youth) were formed in 1946 and appeared in 3 Lancashire cup finals in the 50's. They disbanded at open age level about 10 years ago, after a fall out following one of their most successful ever seasons when they just missed out on promotion to the NWCL premier division. I have exact season at home. There youth section eventually joined up with Eccles. Swinton Victoria were formed in 1987 and I played for them and was secretary. They asked me to get them some friendlies as we were too late to join the league in 1986-87. We played around 22 friendlies. The next season we joined the NWCL and got our only win that season against CARR MILL (St. Helens)! Portico Panthers, Later Portico Vine were quite successful at open age and youth level but folded suddenly. I don't know why? Moss Bank Bulldogs were top of their division when they suddenly stopped playing and also folded. It is difficult to start a new team and be a success in places like St. Helens where there are established successful clubs like Blackbrook and Thatto Heath. If a new side don't get youth teams up and running they don't gererally last more than 10 years maximum. I remember Eightland Wells but think they only played one season. Don't have my records at work. International Harvesters were from Bradford. That is going back a bit!

When i was growing up in Keighley I remember a 4th team which was called NSF and i believe that was a works team for the National Switch Factory in Ingrow.

NSF made (make?) indicator/light/horn etc steering-arm units for Ford cars. The works manager was Terry O'Brien, a Welshman who played centre for many years for Keighley, and was a really nice bloke.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I remember Eightland Wells but think they only played one season. Don't have my records at work. International Harvesters were from Bradford. That is going back a bit!

Kirkholt "A" played at Eightland Wells on the hottest day I can ever remember playing rugby. The pub had a plaque on the outside saying that it had been opened (re-opened ??) by Allan Agar. I think you are right about them only playing for one season.

I never played IH but I rmember playing both "Dog & Gun" and Shipley at a ground at Apperley Bridge (?) going out towards Leeds-Bradford Airport. Some of the older players had said the ground was where IH used to play. IIRC, there is a "Dog & Gun" right next to that pitch but the actual pub they went back to was miles away !

Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

Archived