Long lost amateur clubs

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that if you look back far enough, you can find a team who competed in the Challenge Cup under the magnificent moniker of "Twelve Apostles." I believe they were from the Leigh area, maybe a church/parish team - do any of the Lobbygobblers in here know for certain?

Ah yes - Twelve Apostles - always a man short.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Old teams from Salford I can remember, Manchester Ship Canal Co ( my dad played for them )

Seedley Rangers ( my Uncle played for them, think they were still going in the 70's )

Clarendon, Salford Juniors, Langworthy ( my old team, some broke away to become Langworthy Reds )

would be grateful for any information on these teams.

Remember a lot of the names mentioned on here but definitely the early 80's were good for Amateur RL. In Wakefield from around 1980ish i used to watch a whole load of different teams in the Sunday morning league depending on who was at home.

Within a couple of miles of my home i had. Flanshaw, Peacock, Manor, Westgate, Duke of York, Wrenthorpe.

Westgate are still around and i think Duke of York changed to Wakefield City(not sure exactly or if they're still going as that) but the rest are long gone as is the Sunday league.

Also when i was at school in Wakefield many junior schools played RL, in fact there was a 9 a side comp that was played at Belle Vue during the half time break at every home game for the local schools u11 teams. Driving around Wakefield now past places like Lawefield Lane, St Michaels, Sandal Endowed, Sharlston,  all these schools had Rugby posts up and now you'd be lucky to find any.

Did International Harvesters combine well?

The plant actually made tractors.

International Harvester bought and occupied the former Jowett car manufacturing plant at Idle, Bradford. The works had a fantastic set of playing fields at Greengates that are now incorporated as the Bradford City training ground.

I played for Thornton and we always loved playing there as they had really good showers and after-match food.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Not sure where XII Apostles were from but they won the Manchester & District League Valentine  cup competition in 1924-25 and 1925-26 seasons.

Church team from Nel Pan Lane Leigh.

Ultimately morphed like so many others into a current outfit .

Amateur clubs were largely based on R C parishes , works teams and pubs. Triangle Valve were a works team from Pemberton , Wigan.

There is a serious piece of work to be done here on our Sporting  heritage , to thesis level.

A doctorate  in the history of the amateur game , with especial reference to the playing side ( not  the history of Barla , which might be a  stand alone topic anyway) would add massively to our culture , and be a good read !

I am also confident that such a project would secure the financial backing of the RFL and BARLA. How could they not ? 

Leigh Miners first ever  competitive fixture was against Triangle Valve in 1966. Miners won 36-7 and a loose  forward called Harry Westhead scored a hat trick. boltonred - Ship Canal company played in the Challenge cup many years ago. I don't think Seedley Rangers lasted into the 70's but I have records of them appearing in the Valentine cup final before then. Langworthy (formed about 1928) and Langworthy Reds ran parallel for a while but there is only Langworthy Reds now. Salford Juniors disbanded at open age level after one of their most successful years since the 50's when they won the Lancashire cup. There junior sides merged with Eccles and for a while the entire club was known as Eccles & Salford juniors until it eventually reverted back to Eccles ARLFC. I can find no mention of a team called Clarendon anywhere but prior to the formation of BARLA a lot of clubs in the Manchester and Salford area only ran under 19's teams.

Langworthy (formed about 1928) and Langworthy Reds ran parallel for a while but there is only Langworthy Reds now. .

i was at the players meeting when Langworthy came to an end.  A number of the better players were moving on to bigger clubs and it was tough to see a way forward.  The club didnt have its own clubhouse or juniors.

Great to see what the Reds have now done at Oakwood now - will be a good base to grow from.

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

As far as i know Andrew still lives in Hull up to quite recently he was involved with coaching at East Hull. ( he may still Be,not sure).

He was coaching the West Hull team his lad plays for. Not anymore though, he was on sideline watching a few weeks ago.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

Andrew Mighty signed for Fulham from South London, although he may have started with Peckham and he went to Hull at the end of '89/'90. Only played a few game for them and then seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure if any of the London amateur clubs from the 70s and 80s are still around, with the possible exception of South London (unless they're a new club using the locality name).

Andrew played for South London Wanderers who were a team of Kiwis with a couple of local lads and ex pat northerners. I think the other lad was called Roy who didn't get signed as far as I know. Wanderers tended to top the London league at that time. Them or London Colonials (aussie team). The Wanderers even tried a season playing in the North West Counties league. That would have been around 1989/90.

Leigh Miners first ever  competitive fixture was against Triangle Valve in 1966. Miners won 36-7 and a loose  forward called Harry Westhead scored a hat trick. boltonred - Ship Canal company played in the Challenge cup many years ago. I don't think Seedley Rangers lasted into the 70's but I have records of them appearing in the Valentine cup final before then. Langworthy (formed about 1928) and Langworthy Reds ran parallel for a while but there is only Langworthy Reds now. Salford Juniors disbanded at open age level after one of their most successful years since the 50's when they won the Lancashire cup. There junior sides merged with Eccles and for a while the entire club was known as Eccles & Salford juniors until it eventually reverted back to Eccles ARLFC. I can find no mention of a team called Clarendon anywhere but prior to the formation of BARLA a lot of clubs in the Manchester and Salford area only ran under 19's teams.

Thanks for that, Clarendon is just one of the teams I remember my dad talking about so it would have been in the 50's, my uncle was on the committee at Seedley

and remember going with him when they played at Blackpool Bourough's ground in what may have been a cup match when I was a kid. This is a great thread as it 

is vital we keep this information alive.

Remember a lot of the names mentioned on here but definitely the early 80's were good for Amateur RL. In Wakefield from around 1980ish i used to watch a whole load of different teams in the Sunday morning league depending on who was at home.

Within a couple of miles of my home i had. Flanshaw, Peacock, Manor, Westgate, Duke of York, Wrenthorpe.

Westgate are still around and i think Duke of York changed to Wakefield City(not sure exactly or if they're still going as that) but the rest are long gone as is the Sunday league.

Also when i was at school in Wakefield many junior schools played RL, in fact there was a 9 a side comp that was played at Belle Vue during the half time break at every home game for the local schools u11 teams. Driving around Wakefield now past places like Lawefield Lane, St Michaels, Sandal Endowed, Sharlston,  all these schools had Rugby posts up and now you'd be lucky to find any.

I remember playing at Belle Vue around that time for St Michaels.  I walk past the school (now an academy), and don't see any rugby posts.

Hi Rooster

Sadly i got word from Miners secretary Steve Farrell that Harry Westhead died last week, he was still involved with Leigh Miners up to the day he died, RIP Harry a great player and a true gentleman.

boltonred, just looked in the RFL handbook for 1963-64 season and Seedley Rangers are in it as an open age team. The secretary is G. Dixon. Other teams listed in the Manchester & District section are Bridgewater YC (u19s), Folly Lane (u17's), Langworthy (open age). Morrside (u 19's and u 17's), Salford Juniors (open age, u 19's & u 17's). Swinton juniors (open age & u 19's) and Weaste juniors (u 17's).

Just a few I can remember -

Walnut Warriors (Wakefield) what happened to them?  I played against the in a National Cup fixture for Cambridge City Tigers in 1991.

Cambridge City Tigers - split to become Cambridge Tigers and Cambridge Eagles

Bognor Regis

Bexley Heath

Newmarket

Rotherhithe

Fulham Travellers

Bedford College

Nene Valley - Northampton 

Milton Keynes

Holset Enginnering

Tendring

Clowne Angels

Kiddlington - Oxfordshire

Garibaldi

Bath

Corkickle - Cumbria

Westfield Hotel & Westfield Welfare - Workington

Dearham Wanderers - Cumbria

St Bees - Cumbria

Broughton Moor - Cumbria

Twinames - Cumbria - Twinames Club was in Brigham with games being played at Broughton Cross

Nevison Leap - Yorkshire League

Good Companions - Yorkshire League

Linton Holme - Carlisle ?

Aylesbury Bears

Uxbridge Blues

Ashford - Kent

Twickenham

Walden Wasps - Saffron Walden - Cambridge played out of SW and therefore changed their name

Romney

Portsmouth Poly

Hornchurch

Hackney

Hillingdon

Walnut Warriors (Wakefield) what happened to them?  I played against the in a National Cup fixture for Cambridge City Tigers in 1991.

Bognor Regis

Bexley Heath

Newmarket

Rotherhithe

Fulham Travellers

Bedford College

Milton Keynes

Holset Enginnering

Tendring

Clowne Angels

Garibaldi

Bath

Corkickle - Cumbria

St Bees - Cumbria

Broughton Moor - Cumbria

Twinames - Cumbria - Twinames Club was in Brigham with games being played at Broughton Cross

Aylesbury Bears

Uxbridge Blues

Ashford - Kent

Twickenham

Walden Wasps - Saffron Walden - Cambridge played out of SW and therefore changed their name

Romney

Portsmouth Poly

Hornchurch

Hackney

Hillingdon

That's an amazing list and the fact that they are all extinct just shows how hard it is to create long term permanent amateur clubs anywhere but especially in virgin territory

They are not all extinct and if I had the time I could tell you what happened to everyone of them, except maybe half a dozen I have never heard of. I could probably add 50 or 60 names to that list as well - maybe more! I played at Milton Keynes myself and have at least one of their programmes. BARLA National cup round 1 1990-91 season Cambridge City Tigers 4 Walnut Warriors (Wakefield) 66. Walnut beat Dodworth (Barnsley) 24-10 at home in round 2 before going out at Bransholme (Hull) 10-18. Walnut Warriors finished 3rd in the West Yorkshire League premier division that season behind Moorends (Doncaster) and champions Fryston Crown (Castleford). Amateur Rugby League is my passion and I doubt anybody, including BARLA have the records I have.

They are not all extinct and if I had the time I could tell you what happened to everyone of them, except maybe half a dozen I have never heard of. I could probably add 50 or 60 names to that list as well - maybe more! I played at Milton Keynes myself and have at least one of their programmes. BARLA National cup round 1 1990-91 season Cambridge City Tigers 4 Walnut Warriors (Wakefield) 66. Walnut beat Dodworth (Barnsley) 24-10 at home in round 2 before going out at Bransholme (Hull) 10-18. Walnut Warriors finished 3rd in the West Yorkshire League premier division that season behind Moorends (Doncaster) and champions Fryston Crown (Castleford). Amateur Rugby League is my passion and I doubt anybody, including BARLA have the records I have.

I am not questioning your information. I was just going from the title of the thread, namely " ,Long Lost amateur clubs". I am pleased that some of them are still going strong.  Given your undoubted knowledge on the subject, is it your opinion that amateur RL is increasing in the number of clubs, decreasing or maintaining the status quo ?

Walnut Warriors (Wakefield) what happened to them? I played against the in a National Cup fixture for Cambridge City Tigers in 1991.

Bognor Regis

Bexley Heath

Newmarket

Rotherhithe

Fulham Travellers

Bedford College

Milton Keynes

Holset Enginnering

Tendring

Clowne Angels

Garibaldi

Bath

Corkickle - Cumbria

St Bees - Cumbria

Broughton Moor - Cumbria

Aylesbury Bears

Uxbridge Blues

Ashford - Kent

Twickenham

Romney

Portsmouth Poly

Hornchurch

Hackney

Hillingdon

I played for Essex Scimitars in the late 89's/early 90's. great memories.

A toxic mix of Aussies, Kiwis, exiled Northeners (Leigh, Thatto Heath) many of whom were on short term contract work in London & southerners some of whom were ex union.

The standard was good and don't ever think that RL in the south is not as rough & tough as it is in the heartlands. Some of those Sunday nights after a game are still a blurr as is getting to work the next day.......

Something a bit bizarre about driving over Tower Bridge to get to an away game when you grew up in Cas....!!

I played at Milton Keynes myself and have at least one of their programmes. .

I've a Prestwich/Bury v Milton Keynes programme (and discipline report!)

and ps. our committee average age is c. 30 - its not a case that every committee is getting on...

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

Archived