Long lost amateur clubs

• 1 year later...

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 13/02/2012 at 19:09, Methven Hornet said:

I've always had it in my mind that they were sponsored by some eastern-type restaurant, and that they'd taken their name from that backer in a similar way to London Skolars. In addition I could have sworn that they were called Hornsey Lams and, sure enough, there is a Lams West Malaysian restaurant in Hornsey.

Having googled the name, however, it does appear that the club was called the Lambs. Either the restaurant connection did exist but they thought the name Lambs was more apt for a rugby team... or my memory's ****ed.

ps The club does have a presence on Friends Reunited; if you're a member of that it may have details of what happened to them.

I was the founder of Hornsey Lambs and secretary for the first 3 years. The club folded a year after I left the club to take up a post, employed by BARLA, as development officer for RL in London. The main reason for the club folding was a lack of players. 

On 19/09/2014 at 07:43, bowes said:

Cool, looks like there were more leagues than people realise. Those were the days when there was a Staffordshire League and a Mansfield and Nottingham League though as well as the Midlands and South West London and much longer lasting London League

Did I see a Barnsley league mentioned earlier in the thread or was that a typo?

The Pennine League appears to have been a merger of the Bradford League with the Halifax and Huddersfield league with the latter covering Oldham and Rochdale. Keighley switched from the former to the latter at some point.

If you mean MASWARLA that was the Midlands and South West ARLA with teams down to Bath, into Wales and up to Redditch (from memory). One or two teams were associate members of the London League but it was nothing to do with southwest London

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

On 28/03/2011 at 18:38, topcoach said:

Can anybody remember teams around Wakefield from early 80's like Truck Components,Manor and Flanshaw also Bullcroft from Doncaster area and Sailors Home Knottingley.

Flanshaw old boys still meet up annually.

On 03/01/2021 at 14:59, Ken. said:

I was the founder of Hornsey Lambs and secretary for the first 3 years. The club folded a year after I left the club to take up a post, employed by BARLA, as development officer for RL in London. The main reason for the club folding was a lack of players. 

And I remember didn't Sean McGuire (Ex Saints CEO) play for them:)

Paul

4 hours ago, BJW said:

If you mean MASWARLA that was the Midlands and South West ARLA with teams down to Bath, into Wales and up to Redditch (from memory). 

MASWARLA covered a much larger area than that. At various times in its life there were teams from Plymouth, Stoke, Aberavon, Tonyrefail, Wolverhampton, Hemel Hempstead, Surrey Heath and Milton Keynes along with teams in Bristol, Bath, Sedgemoor (Burnham on Sea), Gloucester, Cheltenham, Swindon, Dursley, Birmingham and others I can't recall at the moment.

Huge travel considerations for the teams at the edges of the area back in the days when players could be banned for life from Union for playing VERY amateur rugby league

40 minutes ago, Janner said:

MASWARLA covered a much larger area than that. At various times in its life there were teams from Plymouth, Stoke, Aberavon, Tonyrefail, Wolverhampton, Hemel Hempstead, Surrey Heath and Milton Keynes along with teams in Bristol, Bath, Sedgemoor (Burnham on Sea), Gloucester, Cheltenham, Swindon, Dursley, Birmingham and others I can't recall at the moment.

Huge travel considerations for the teams at the edges of the area back in the days when players could be banned for life from Union for playing VERY amateur rugby league

I believe Bentley Yarborough had a couple of seasons in the MASWARLA when they regrouped in the 80s/90s

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

1 hour ago, Janner said:

I only joined club playing in MASWARLA in 1987 so could only go on places I knew but was told of there being some in far flung locations. Club left for London League in 1988 so didn't get to experience many of the MASWARLA clubs.

On 27/03/2011 at 21:51, bowes said:

If you're wondering why I suddenly got a load of information: http://www.totalrl.com/forums/index.php/topic/87094-defunct-winners/

Couldn't link it earlier on my Ipod

The Kingston upon Hull league in 1975-76 consisted of

Ace Amateurs

Albion

Bass North

Beecroft & Wightman

Birds Eye

Broady's

Cawoods

City Transport

Concorde

Corporation Telephones

Fenners

Grange

Hellyers

Hull Co-op

Ideal Standard

Metal Box

Mysons

Newlander Caravans

NDLB

Papropack

Reckitts

Sizers

Tetleys

Van Leer

24 teams, guessing that's 2 or 3 divisions

Now there's:

Premier Division:

West Hull Lions

Skirlaugh Bulls

Norland Sharks

Bransholme Dales

Parkers

Hull Dockers 'A'

Hull Wyke

East Hull Dragons

Division 1:

Duke

Embassy

Lambwath Lions

Holderness Vikings

Reckitt's

Bilton Sully's

Haworth Park

Hull Isberg

Cottingham Tigers

Norland Sharks 'A'

Beverley

Myton Warriors 'A'

Fenners

GW Horners

Obviously now West Hull, East Hull, Hull Dockers, Skirlaugh and Myton Warriors play National Conference League. Interestingly half the Premier Division is NCL reserve sides which will be interesting when they have to follow the first teams to summer (Assuming this passes at the NCL)

A few names still here after all that time, though I couldn't tell exactly how many clubs are still here and how many are new as the names have changed so much.

Some of the work place sounding names on here remind me of the old East Germany naming majority of there football clubs after Places of work and certain industries 

22 hours ago, BJW said:

If you mean MASWARLA that was the Midlands and South West ARLA with teams down to Bath, into Wales and up to Redditch (from memory). One or two teams were associate members of the London League but it was nothing to do with southwest London

What happened to the MASWARLA league? is it still going? Are any of the clubs still in existence? 

17 hours ago, Janner said:

Can you provide any information on how it developed/fizzled out? Is it still in existence? are the clubs still active? 

On 22/02/2016 at 08:39, Mr Partridge said:

Crigglestone began in Pennine September 2000.Thornhill A began in September 2001.

Crigglestone open age side started in the late 80's / early 90's and were started when the Bay Horse at Hall Green had a fall out with the pub they were based at and left, they move about a mile up to Crigg and were supplemented by some juniors from the u18 junior side, Crigglestone only had a junior section until then.

The Bay Horse played in the West Yorkshire Sunday league, prior to moving to Crigg who joined the Yorkshire league playing Saturdays.

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

What happened to the MASWARLA league? is it still going? Are any of the clubs still in existence? 

MASWARLA isn't still in existence but both Hemel and Surrey Heath (now Elmbridge) are still in existence and have their own grounds (sorry but have been involved with both so know about them). Many of the places to west of London that were in MASWARLA have clubs but can't say if they are the clubs which were in MASWARLA or later versions. 

On 26/03/2011 at 18:14, Maximus Decimus said:

Was looking through an old Rothmans annual and it has a list of amateur clubs that had played in the Challenge Cup against professional opposition. Came across some cracking names, would be interesting to see what happened to them.

The best of the lot was the Widnes Dragons circa 1950, who says that monikers are a modern concept!

Couple of other names were the ACE amateurs, York Irish National League, Healey Street Adults, UNOs Dabs, Triangle Valve and Wakefield Lokomotiv.

Why were Unos Dabs called that . 

Dalston, Linton Holme, ST Nicholas Arms, Penrith,Horse and farrier just some of the teams which were based around Carlisle , huge and rapid development took place after the formation of the Raiders , most quickly disappeared once the teams misguided merger with Barrow.

Archived