Long lost amateur clubs

On 15/01/2021 at 15:27, wedontneedrhinos said:

As I kid I remember Pudsey having a team. I'm sure in the Yorkshire Saturday League. 

Anyone know any history on them? Names, pubs, divisions, ex-pros etc

I refereed a Pudsey team who played in the Yorkshire League

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, snoopdog said:

Dalston, Linton Holme, ST Nicholas Arms, Penrith,Horse and farrier just some of the teams which were based around Carlisle , huge and rapid development took place after the formation of the Raiders , most quickly disappeared once the teams misguided merger with Barrow.

How many teams are there around the Carlisle area now?

3 hours ago, JM2010 said:

That needs rectifying somehow. They say Cumbria is a heartland of the sport but it's biggest town doesn't have any teams

The RL heartlands in Cumbria are along the west coast from say maryport down to millom and the Furness region around barrow.

Northern and eastern Cumbria are barren and Very similar to Yorkshire and Lancashire which has large gaps in South Yorkshire and the Manchester areas respectively.

7 hours ago, JM2010 said:

That needs rectifying somehow. They say Cumbria is a heartland of the sport but it's biggest town doesn't have any teams

Absolutely agree and is a wasted untapped area, no other parts of Cumbria have had growth in the last 15/20 years , infact the opposite. Anyone who tells you Cumbria is still an hotbed for RL is talking nonsense.

Archived