Best cover versions

One of the most covered songs has to be April In Paris, originally by Freddie Martin in the 1930's I could easily have picked out Sarah Vaughan's, Ella Fitzgerald's or countless other versions but this is my favourite.

"One more time" Count Basie and his Orchestra.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

My wife prefers the Animals's version, so do I, I also prefer the Sam Cooke version.  The Animals version has this on the B side, on of my favourites of theirs.

Edited by Trojan

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The thought of this lot having to send royalty cheques to Michael Jackson is surreal...

The video has it all, a chimpanzee, pavements lighting up, young children....

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I thought I'd turn it on its head. The most famous version is a cover by jimi hendrix.

But very few people are familiar with what is supposed to be the original,(it's probably derived from another song). which I came across whilst learning the song.

I really like it. 

Edited by Tongs ya bas

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Mm, it's got plenty of energy but it lacks the charm of the " Peanuts Wilson " version.

was citing a similarity to the stranglers/ warwick theme - try this

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

BTW who's the backing singer in the yellow.  My last post should be a clue.  I didn't know about this until last week.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

Another good cover version is Elvis Presley’s version of Guitar Man.

Elvis’s guitarist at the time couldn’t make it sound as good as Jerry Reed’s original ( which was played on nylon strings ) so they got Jerry Reed to come in and play on Elvis’s version too.

On 06/12/2017 at 10:31 AM, Old Frightful said:

The thought of this lot having to send royalty cheques to Michael Jackson is surreal...

The video has it all, a chimpanzee, pavements lighting up, young children....

Absolutely slays Jacko's version.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:10 PM, Trojan said:

Billy Bragg wrote it, but even he says this is a better version

RIP Kirsty.

I hadn't even realised Bragg had recorded an original version.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

RIP Kirsty.

We went to a birthday party for her in Soho Square about 10 years ago. It was very moving.

• Like 1

Clement Attlee.

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I have a friend who is a huge Billy Bragg fan, and she didn't realise that the first two lines of the song are taken from Paul Simon's "leaves that are green."