Best cover versions

Wouldn't say this was best cover version,  but interesting certainly.  New Musik version of The Beatles All You Need Is Love. 

And also unusually came up with their own composition and called it All You Need Is Love. Both on the album Warp.

Edited by HawkMan

On 02/01/2013 at 00:35, Johnoco said:

Circle Jerks brilliant cover of CCR's Fortunate Son.

Inspired by spotting the above, I`ve got "Group Sex" playing as I type. Turns out I`ve also got a Circle Jerks album called "Wonderful" which I don`t remember a thing about. Must have been planted.

Just waded through 16 ruddy pages to avoid repeating the suggestions of others. Won`t be doing the same for the "what are you listening to" thread. Wasn`t expecting all the Snuff mentions. At least my Bran Flakes reminiscence on another thread was an original thought.

7 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Wonderful is a great LP. I met Keith Morris, he's about 4'2". ☺️

When I first heard Keith Morris in Black Flag, I could have sworn he was English.

I`ve just given "Wonderful" a whirl. It did trigger recognition once it got going, particularly "American Heavy Metal Weekend".

Because of their time and place, and scuzzball proclivities, the Circle Jerks are associated in my mind with the Angry Samoans, who were truly depraved at times. In my hoard, the latter`s records nestle alphabetically and charmingly next to the Anti-Nowhere League. 

Patti Jo - Make me believe in you.

Big Black - The model.

Grace Jones - Private life.

Butthole Surfers - Hurdy gurdy man.

Gloria Gaynor - Never can say goodbye.

Pegboy - That`s when I reach for my revolver.

Ciccone Youth - Addicted to love.

Brothers Johnson - Come together.

Pixies - Wild honey pie.

Feelies - Everybody`s got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Angry Samoans is a great name but my favourite was probably Fearless Iranians From Hell. 

Had to google that one. Gap in my knowledge.

They would have been active around the time of the Iran-contra imbroglio. Wouldn`t pretend to be conversant with all the details of that controversy, but there was an indirect link to the triple album of a certain group with a compulsive penchant for political posturing. And I remember Col. Ollie North`s puppet as a regular on Spitting Image.

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I like the Zombies original but I actually prefer the Subs version. Is the Dinosaur Jr one the Peter Frampton song?

I saw Dinosaur Jr in 1988 at Leeds Poly (as was) Steve Albinis new band were meant to be playing but the SU banned them on account of their name.

The Subs` version clocks in at not much more than one and a half minutes. Can`t think of many singles that give you your money`s worth in under two minutes. Maybe the Undertones` "Here comes the summer".

It is the Frampton song. Slightly tuneless vocal, but great guitars. The original is one of those tracks that, in my mind, is forever locked in the long hot summer of 1976.

Albini claimed he perfunctorily took the name from a character in a Japanese comic. I`ve got their one album. The title, (Two nuns and a pack mule) suggests your S.U. weren`t being unduly cynical.

15 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The Subs` version clocks in at not much more than one and a half minutes. Can`t think of many singles that give you your money`s worth in under two minutes. Maybe the Undertones` "Here comes the summer".

It is the Frampton song. Slightly tuneless vocal, but great guitars. The original is one of those tracks that, in my mind, is forever locked in the long hot summer of 1976.

Albini claimed he perfunctorily took the name from a character in a Japanese comic. I`ve got their one album. The title, (Two nuns and a pack mule) suggests your S.U. weren`t being unduly cynical.

Seen The Subs many times and you always get your money's worth from them. On top of that, Charlie Harper is a top man.

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Seen The Subs many times and you always get your money's worth from them. On top of that, Charlie Harper is a top man.

Their appearance on TOTP with "She`s not there" was the first time I saw them. Consequently for a while I thought the bloke doing the vocals was Charlie Harper.

The real one was(and presumably still is) a good example of the maxim that age is a state of mind.

11 hours ago, Johnoco said:

I only recently discovered that he’s also a pretty good artist. (As in painting, and I’m being serious)

Yes, I have heard that before

9 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Their appearance on TOTP with "She`s not there" was the first time I saw them. Consequently for a while I thought the bloke doing the vocals was Charlie Harper.

The real one was(and presumably still is) a good example of the maxim that age is a state of mind.

Most certainly is, in a normal year (i.e. not a covid one) they still do something like 100 -150 gigs each year. When they are on at multiple band events Charlie is nearly always in the bar after they've been on talking to fans. He told us at the Rebellion a couple of years ago that he loves talking to music fans and that its never a chore because he feels privileged that people will pay money to go and see him and allow him to do what he loves. He said he'd never refused a photo - which is not entirely true, because another time he told me (jokingly) that I couldn't be in a photo with him unless I was holding a beer

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

The best way to be introduced to the majesty that is Leonard Cohen is to hear other people singing his words

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The best way to be introduced to the majesty that is Leonard Cohen is to hear other people singing his words

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds do "Tower of song" on this tribute album. In my view, it`s pretty awful. There`s a version by the Jesus and Mary Chain which is far better.

Nothing to do with covers, but That Petrol Emotion`s album "Babble" is a particular favourite of mine.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds do "Tower of song" on this tribute album. In my view, it`s pretty awful. There`s a version by the Jesus and Mary Chain which is far better.

Nothing to do with covers, but That Petrol Emotion`s album "Babble" is a particular favourite of mine.

Listening to it now.

Tune!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More of a story about a cover: I'm listening to Heard it through the grapevine by Creedence on YT and I see this comment:

"I finally found this song, searching for years because no one could ever tell me the title of it. Can't describe how happy I am to listen to this!"

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...