Best cover versions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/05/2021 at 18:41, Oxford said:

What differences are special in the ones you like, the voice, the arrangement or the tempo? Or is that it's simply better than the original? Or all the above?

For Rod Stewart IMO it would have to be "I don't Wanna Talk About it"

It's the voice.

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/06/2021 at 22:41, Leeds Wire said:

It's the voice.

• Like 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2021 at 19:29, Jeff Stein said:

We had that one a while back - can't remember who posted it, but it's still one of my absolute favourites - the Cajun accordion and the fact that it's a Lousiana local taking on Chuck Berry's lyrics.

13 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Two covers by Nazareth, which they make their own. Utterly fantastic and definitely up there amongst the very best covers.

Have to dissent from the opinion of Love Hurts. I much prefer the version by Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris.

I bought the Nazareth single "May the Sun Shine" in early 1979. Just a one-off buy, must have heard it on the radio. Still like it.

Another fun fact - I`ve subsequently, more than once, got their singer mixed up with Alex Harvey.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

1) that’s your opinion, to which you are perfectly entitled- however wrong 😆

2) I too used to think Dan McCafferty looked like Alex Harvey too….well they are both Scottish.

Nazareth also covered Tomorrow`s "My White Bicycle".  Not too keen on that either.

Tomorrow featured Keith West of "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera" fame, and Steve Howe later of Yes.

Didn`t know, till I looked it up, that Nazareth were from Dunfermline. Which brings to mind The Skids. Amazing to look at old hat-free footage of Richard Jobson - lovely head of hair.

13 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

She seems to like singing poor versions of songs others have written / written for her, somehow managed to reduce a Pink Floyd classic into a 3 minute reason to never turn on a radio ever again, and is now a one woman covers band. This however is about as good a cover of this song as there is. 

Her cover of Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide is not bad either surprisingly.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

26 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Neil (Young Ones) also did a version of My White Bicycle. I saw The Skids a couple of years back, some great new stuff as well as the old faves. I told RJ that I was a fan but he talked too much b’locks on Twitter. He laughed 

I had a friend who bought the Into the Valley single. When I went round to his house, he was more interested in the B-side and stomping round the room shouting "Albert Tatlock, Albert Tatlock".