Best cover versions

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Neil (Young Ones) also did a version of My White Bicycle. I saw The Skids a couple of years back, some great new stuff as well as the old faves. I told RJ that I was a fan but he talked too much b’locks on Twitter. He laughed 

Stuart Adamson was a superb musician. I loved the stuff he did with Big Country.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

On 11/08/2021 at 15:28, my missus said:

Weird. 

Na Na Na etc is awful, yet it could have been really cool. 

The bit where she pushes her top away to reveal more shoulder gave it away and should have been edited out. It's about the image for her above the music.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Tin Tin Out did a horrendous cover version of “The Sundays - Here’s Where The Story End’s”. I cringe every time i hear that cover, i don’t know how they were allowed to get away with it.
The Sundays were a fantastic band and Harriet Wheeler had a beautiful voice, she may still have as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 06/08/2021 at 18:12, Derwent said:

Stuart Adamson was a superb musician. I loved the stuff he did with Big Country.

On 06/08/2021 at 18:30, Johnoco said:

He was an incredibly talented guitarist but sadly had serious personal issues which got the better of him. 

I find Chance  a very moving song, especially in light of what happened to him.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

A balm for troubled minds in worrying times.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking about what makes a great version: different voice, arrangement the change from acoustic to electric and vice versa, up or down in tempo?

I was listening to the several versions I have of a couple of Richard Thompson's the Dimming of the Day and Beeswing and in these hardly anything changes except the voice.

I also have an album of covers of Van the Angry Man songs and some of those are a complete disaster in almost every respect.

The post above with He'll Have to Go is probably the best version of that because all the others I've heard have been just syrup in the studio.

Talking Ry Cooder and Chickenskin, his version of I Got Mine rates with people like Pink Anderson And Bourgois Blues is a gem!

And, on the whole, I prefer Half the World Away slowed down and acoustic and always the Holiday interpretation to the Fitzgerald renditions though I'm happy to listen to both.

And I think I'm no clearer on this issue than when I started typing.

But how do you even approach this ? (and it's been tried!)

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political