Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

Would be interesting to know what metrics the RFL will use to prove that the

sponsorship has been a success or that its been value for "money"

The issue with this kind of marketing is that it is traditionally difficult to monitor direct results. It is why I would like to see more targeted online advertising to complement this campaign.

I suppose there could be some research done to test brand awareness, but in terms of direct sales of tickets, or an increase in Sky viewing figures it is difficult.

That's not to say it isn't valuable though.

My main issue with the RFL in recent years has been that much of their promotion has been to their existing fanbase, which to company with a limited marketing budget makes sense, as you get a better return, but now may be the time to extend our targeting and it would be good to see websites featuring banners mirroring the trucks. That said, this is a very expensive media, and it would be smart to use this at times like the build uop to magic, CC and Playoffs later rounds.

This is one of the first steps into mass advertising, and for me it needs to be backed up with something different rather than advertising on the RL Group websites only.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a run up to Middlesborough today and spotted three: Hull FC, Warrington & one I couldn't make out due a)speed & B) shock.

All were on the M62 between Rochdale & Huddersfield. Saw plenty of other Stobbies in either normal livery or plain blue (possibly waiting to be done up for Tesco).

Bit disappointed to only spot them on the 62, but its marketing nonetheless.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

I go up and down the M1 from Leicester to Northampton everyday and I see Stobart trucks all the time. I nearly crashed a couple of times trying to spot one with anything remotely RL on it. To date I've seen nothing. I'm not sure of the value of this sponsorship if it's not going to be truly nationwide. I've not read all the other posts so maybe people have spotted them all over the place, but I certainly haven't.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

I go up and down the M1 from Leicester to Northampton everyday and I see Stobart trucks all the time. I nearly crashed a couple of times trying to spot one with anything remotely RL on it. To date I've seen nothing. I'm not sure of the value of this sponsorship if it's not going to be truly nationwide. I've not read all the other posts so maybe people have spotted them all over the place, but I certainly haven't.

So far on this thread:

Liverpool/Manchester section of the M62 - Huddersfield and Salford

Sam Tomkins heading south on the A1 in Nottinghamshire

M25 near Heathrow, Cas tigers

saw one on the way back from Briz (Bristol) yesterday, which was the Cas Lorry.

two on Friday, M62 West Bound nr Birchwood (Warrington)

M60 at the Prestwich junction - that was promoting Hull FC

a Widnes lorry. It was heading westbound as I was heading east on the M62 just on the Pennine border

junction 18-19 I saw a St Helens lorry on the M62, a Bradford lorry followed barely 2 or 3 minutes later.

Leeds and Wigan one on the M62 on the way over to Castleford.

Leigh this afternoon. It was near the m6/m42 junction southbound

one from a distance in the Stobart yard at Newark

the Saints wagon; same time, same place on the M62.

a Catalans one today in the Midlands - it was southbound on the M1 between Junction 28 and Junction 27 at about 4pm.

Old Town, Swindon. I think it was a Widnes one

to the Cotswold for four days seen two one with a Catalan player and one with a castleford player

two were spotted on the M11, Cambridge (Wakefield I think) and in a lay by on the A57 at Worksop (hudds/Crabtree!)

a Saints one earlier today near Worsley on the M60 going towards Trafford Park.

the Huddersfield one this evening at M62/M60 J17

J6 heading south on the M42. To me delight, it was the Saints one

three on m6/m74 on thursday. saints,hullkr and salford. and saw a wakey one a few days earlier on m62.

one parked up at Stobarts depot on the A1 outside Worksop

Group shot of captains again Southbound on M1 at Junction 28 in Derbyshire

Two spotted within 5 minutes of each other at J 21 M62, Milnrow, Catalans going Eastbound and Broncos going West !

Bradford (2), Huddersfield, Leeds, St Helens (2), Widnes, Wigan - J17-J21 of the M62

the Leeds truck outside Milton Keynes in the M1.

Kevin Sinfield crossing the A1 just outside Peterborough

Eorl Crabtree heading down the A1 just outside Colsterworth

Widnes Vikings lorry heading down the A1 just outside Blythe

Castleford one, stuck in traffic, anti-clockwise on the M60 at the Swinton Interchange

saw no less than four on the M6 between Kendal and Beatock. Passed Huddersfield and London, and saw Warrington and Cas

only one branded one going south at Grantham on Sunday - Salford

Salford SLEddie ambling West on the M62 yesterday

Wigan ticked, M62 westbound between J20-J21,

Catalans one, on the M4 just by J17 at Chippenham.

a round trip to Kent on Saturday/Sunday and passed three of the branded trailers

Wigan going southbound on the M18

M62 between Rochdale & Huddersfield - three

Widnes on M65

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

better that we don't see them in the rugby league areas :rolleyes:

The only one I've seen was in Chippenham.

Do think that a sample populated largely by people who live within spitting distance of the M62 might have some kind of bias?

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

I have seen two both near Coventry.

if there are nominally 100 trailers how many would actually be out on the road at any one time? Does any logistics expert know what percentage of time is actually spent by a trailer on the road as against in a depot?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Saw my first one today - on the M6 near Lancaster. Think it was Salford.

The majority of us seem to be reporting the sightings as being on the other side of the road/motorway. If so, the majority are pointless. We know what we are loking for - and I couldn't even see anything else (due to speed) on the side of the truck like a rugby ball, the name of the sport or team or even the RFL or sky logos. No indication at all.

The value in this deal is when lorries are parked up in service stations, travelling slowly in our towns anmd cities or where you are on the same side of the road where more eyes can see the ads for longer. So jury's still out on this one.

That was bound to happen, it's pure statistics.

If they all turn round though, we'll be sorted.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The value in this deal is when lorries are parked up in service stations, travelling slowly in our towns anmd cities or where you are on the same side of the road where more eyes can see the ads for longer. So jury's still out on this one.

Also, the jury's out 'til the full complement of SL trailers are on the roads.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Did some people think that every single vehicle across Europe would be SL branded.

Some of the comments on here are my favourite posts yet and really show the negativity/cluelesness of certain fans.

Btw, i havent seen any, but if i had theyd have been going the wrong way, and too fast, and the glare off the sun would have hurt my eyes.

This sponsorship is a farce!

Did some people think that every single vehicle across Europe would be SL branded.

Some of the comments on here are my favourite posts yet and really show the negativity/cluelesness of certain fans.

Btw, i havent seen any, but if i had theyd have been going the wrong way, and too fast, and the glare off the sun would have hurt my eyes.

This sponsorship is a farce!

I'd expect them to at least have Superleague coloured flashing lights, and be ramming other sports related freight carrying transport off the road and gain Superleague motorway dominance that we deserve.

Get with the program dude. OMG

I'd expect them to at least have Superleague coloured flashing lights, and be ramming other sports related freight carrying transport off the road and gain Superleague motorway dominance that we deserve.

Get with the program dude. OMG

:biggrin:

Still haven't seen one.Last week I went to Sheffield, Leeds/Bradford, Blackburn, Stockport and Scarborough. Saw plenty of Stobart trucks, but not one with any reference to RL on it.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I have looked outside my window for literally minutes at a time and never seen one.

Heads must roll at Red Hall for this farce.

It's an outrage.

Etc etc.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived