The TV Thread

The only bit I've ever seen of Big Brother is when that scouse bloke won the first series. And that was only because it was put on in the pub after SL game.

Its not one of those things I 'try' to avoid or say I don't like it but secretly do. I just find it pointless and always have. I have never seen any major series like 24, Lost, or whatever.

'er sada'

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I watched it. Live from the studio on Monday night! (top right)

bb2012-1.jpg

Or you're a culture snob. Both high and low culture has its positives and negatives, and has its place. Don't deny yourself a healthy dose of both. :)

and don't you dictate what people can and can't enjoy. If he doen't like what he says he doesn't like it's up to him :)

Keeping it local

and don't you dictate what people can and can't enjoy. If he doen't like what he says he doesn't like it's up to him :)

Not trying to! Personally I hate people deeming things in terms of "high brow" and "low brow" - I believe in culture. People are too quick to pass judgement on what is worthy and what isn't, especially about things they have never watched/done/seen etc.

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

I watched it. Live from the studio on Monday night! (top right)

bb2012-1.jpg

Or you're a culture snob. Both high and low culture has its positives and negatives, and has its place. Don't deny yourself a healthy dose of both. :)

Nice to put a (terrible) picture to a username.

Not trying to! Personally I hate people deeming things in terms of "high brow" and "low brow" - I believe in culture. People are too quick to pass judgement on what is worthy and what isn't, especially about things they have never watched/done/seen etc.

me too

but people are still in order to praise, criticise as they see fit.

I enjoy holby city, casualty, cop shows, and I don't mind dipping into the street. I don't pretend this stuff has artistic merit, is well acted or anything, it just occupies a little niche in my pleasures in life.

i agree with you about cultural snobbery.

nice shirt by the way.

Keeping it local

I enjoyed A Touch of Cloth, a trilogy of stories apparently, but I don't know when the next episode is on.

Probably not for a few months - the second story was only filmed recently, while the one that was on over the weekend was filmed well over a year ago and has been ready for ages. I did enjoy it, the first part more so. I think two hours in total was stretching the concept a bit far for one story. Will still watch the second one though.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Although aborted at the last minute due to extreme weather conditions, nevertheless Harry's Heroes showed great spirit and guts in preparation to climb Mount Everest. Walking across a ladder perched high over a ravine was scary, especially so as a Sherpa had lost his life just before. I was amazed looking at the lad with one arm use his teeth to help secure the ropes.

if i lived on my own i would not have a tv in the house, a barrage of adverts, low quality insulting programmes, daytime tv of the 90s is now mainstream viewing and a celebrity means you once had a job walking the royal corgis, since my family insist on the damn thing - i will watch-only connect-father ted- uni challenge- psychoville and the odd film on film 4

If you don't choose to watch rubbish tv is pretty good. Just get a PVR.

Fides invicta triumphat

with sky advertising its own sky programmes in -between no doubt?

Pro tip: if you want to watch a programme. Set the PVR and watch it 15 minutes after the start. That way you can fast forward through the ads.

Fides invicta triumphat

Good cop was excellent last night

One or two clunky bits, such as how he found the gun: there's always a bit of loose floor board cut out to make a hiding place... Bit of a deus ex machina, but otherwise a good story

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso

Keeping it local

I'll just say, here and now, that the first episode of the new series of Doctor Who on Saturday night 'Asylum of the Daleks' was absolutely brilliant and that the bloke who wrote it, Steven Moffat, who is also responsible for the modern day version of Sherlock, is a genius when it comes to creating top quality tv drama.

I think it was Art Dudley who described American TV as "a garbage truck, driven by a talking mule, crashing into a burning whorehouse". So it could be a lot worse over here.

There's plenty of stuff for most interests across the average week, and there's always the 'off' button, when things are bad.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good cop was excellent last night

One or two clunky bits, such as how he found the gun: there's always a bit of loot board cut out to make a hiding place... Bit of a deus ex machina, but otherwise a good story

I really enjoyed it. The only (slight) problem for me was location familiarity and having to suppress the urge to shout at the TV "you don't go past that to get there" all the timewhen they were showing him driving from one place to another. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I think it was Art Dudley who described American TV as "a garbage truck, driven by a talking mule, crashing into a burning whorehouse". So it could be a lot worse over here.
:blink: Anyone who says they wouldn't stop what they were doing to watch that is quite frankly a liar.

:blink: Anyone who says they wouldn't stop what they were doing to watch that is quite frankly a liar.

:D You do have a point, there.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I watched the new Daybreak this morning.

Not much different from the old one, except: -

- ITV has pinched Laura Tobin from the BBC to do the weather. They should never have got rid of Kirsty McCabe, she was brilliant.

- Aled Jones could scare a rabbit at fifty paces with the glare from his newly-whitened teeth.

- the presenters seemed to be genuinely friends with each other rather than presenting the company line.

Bland seems to be the theme; no sign of any danger or liveliness, though, in fairness, personal chemistry will take time to develop.

The BBC and ITV shows are largely interchangeable. Why can't we have one of the team who is, understandably, habitually crotchety at having to get up at four o'clock every morning. The others could have a great time annoying him/her ... just like what happens in most families at breakfast time.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I watched the new Daybreak this morning.

Not much different from the old one, except: -

- ITV has pinched Laura Tobin from the BBC to do the weather. They should never have got rid of Kirsty McCabe, she was brilliant.

- Aled Jones could scare a rabbit at fifty paces with the glare from his newly-whitened teeth.

- the presenters seemed to be genuinely friends with each other rather than presenting the company line.

Bland seems to be the theme; no sign of any danger or liveliness, though, in fairness, personal chemistry will take time to develop.

The BBC and ITV shows are largely interchangeable. Why can't we have one of the team who is, understandably, habitually crotchety at having to get up at four o'clock every morning. The others could have a great time annoying him/her ... just like what happens in most families at breakfast time.

Don't the BBC ones stay in a hotel all week missing their kids and what not?! Also, it's the same thing each hour; record it, loop it. Back to bed.

I thought they got rid of Adrian Chiles last year!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010