The TV Thread

I'm sure some opera bores will have been disgusted but so what.

I thought it a bit of a shame they didn't do much with Bizet's music nor with the actual plot of Carmen but I enjoyed it a lot regardless.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I am not even aware of anything beyond the basic plot in that opera but if it stirs some peoples interest, that has to be good for them surely. Unless they are some sort of inverse version of RL and the 'real fans' brogade.

Just don't ever spend time on a Radio 3 messageboard.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Only 11 months until everyone in the pub starts blathering on about Game of Thrones again :(

Edited by Amber Avenger

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Only 11 months until everyone in the pub starts blathering on about Game of Thrones again :(

Psst. I've never seen an episode. I didn't even know what it was until the BAFTA's showed snippets for the nominees.

I don't know how it's any different from all the other medieval/Tudor/ye olde series that use British actors like the Tudors or Merlin or that Borgias or any of those that I didn't watch either.

Psst. I've never seen an episode. I didn't even know what it was until the BAFTA's showed snippets for the nominees.

I don't know how it's any different from all the other medieval/Tudor/ye olde series that use British actors like the Tudors or Merlin or that Borgias or any of those that I didn't watch either.

I haven't seen it either, but the general premise seems to be Dungeons'n'Dragons'n'Boobies. HTH. Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I haven't seen it either, but the general premise seems to be Dungeons'n'Dragons'n'Boobies. HTH.

Don't forget the boobies with more boobies around the sidelines along with occasional lesbian scenes that would be banned if on the 900 channels on Sky as too explicit.  There's artistic license of the original books then there's just playing to the teenage boys' fantasies by adding random filler scenes of boobies.

The problem is that the author takes about 3-5 years per book as a minimum and they're going to run out of content soon enough.  Also, he's old, fat and not in sparkling health so they may never officially finish the series of books.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Don't forget the boobies with more boobies around the sidelines along with occasional lesbian scenes that would be banned if on the 900 channels on Sky as too explicit.  There's artistic license of the original books then there's just playing to the teenage boys' fantasies by adding random filler scenes of boobies.

The problem is that the author takes about 3-5 years per book as a minimum and they're going to run out of content soon enough.  Also, he's old, fat and not in sparkling health so they may never officially finish the series of books.

If he pops his clogs I'm sure they can continue the series with his name above the title and a little indicator underneath that somebody else wrote it.

I had no idea this series had such (ahem) artistic merit. I shall have to investigate.

Kids today don't know they're born.  In my day you had to put up with some turgid Dennis Potter play that didn't make any sense for a bit of boob action.

Kids today don't know they're born.  In my day you had to put up with some turgid Dennis Potter play that didn't make any sense for a bit of boob action.

Not Forgetting I Claudius and the odd Play for Today (or so I'm reliably told ;))

Edited by Griff9of13

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Surprised people haven't at least checked GOT out. Its the best thing on telly by a country mile and I would even go as far to say that its better than the Wire, Battlestar Gallactca and the West Wing.

Fides invicta triumphat

I had no idea this series had such (ahem) artistic merit. I shall have to investigate.

Straight after GoT on Sky Atlantic is Banshee. Obviously, it's worth watching for the witty dialogue and atmospheric cinematography. The only drawbacks are the frequent depictions of graphic violence and sexual couplings.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Surprised people haven't at least checked GOT out. Its the best thing on telly by a country mile and I would even go as far to say that its better than the Wire, Battlestar Gallactca and the West Wing.

Err, The Great British Bake Off ?

Unfortunately whilst my subscription to Sky Sports and ESPN America remains intact the chances of me watching much proper telly is slim.

I did see that nice young lady throwing eggs at Simon Cowell though.

I have tried Game of Thrones, watched the first three episodes and decided it really isn’t my thing. Not a fan of Lord of the Rings style mega epics with swords and dragons, although people always assume I do as I quite like Sci Fi. I can appreciate it’s well made and all that, but I really can’t get past the themes and the setting.

I’m also surprised a lot of people on here hadn’t seen it, practically everyone I know won’t stop going on about it!

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Correct. :)

Honestly, you two.

Probably too old for the 'European cinema' seasons on Channel 4, eh?

Honestly, you two.

Probably too old for the 'European cinema' seasons on Channel 4, eh?

I remember Channel 4's attempts to boost ratings with the 'red triangle'.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Was probably code for 'this film has sh@gging in'.

It was usually code for "starring Isabelle Adjani and/or Greta Scacchi". Which pretty much meant the same thing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson